Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 11:16 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,840 times

Advertisements

We attended all our sons’ baseball games back in the 70’s and 80’s and saw just one loud objection to an umpire’s call. No bad behavior. My son now tells me nearly every week about terribly-behaving parents and sometimes coaches in our grandkids games:
A flag football coach complained so rudely that he was almost ejected, a coach cheated in volleyball, parents from one team physically attacked the other team’s parents, etc. All these incidents resulted in the children crying and being frightened.

If there are serious consequences maybe parents will change their behavior for the better. These are GAMES and should be competitive, but FUN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 11:31 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Where were you raised, in the ghetto? This NEVER happened, not 20 years ago, not 50 years ago except in places inhabited by junkies and various uneducated slum meat.

You’ve lived a sheltered/fortunate life but this was certainly happening 20 years ago and shockingly enough outside of the ghettos

Old 06-21-2019, 02:31 PM

957 posts, read 2,021,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
With working parents it's hard to get Adult umpires. Sometimes you have Boy Scouts or high Schools looking to get extra credit. Lots of these Volunteer kids have been vetted and trained by their respective leagues, so a lot of time they know the rules as good as the Coaches.

Our Little League encourages kids (12 and up) to Umpire the young divisions. It helps keeps the kids involved in the sport, helps out the league, and as you mentioned it also means the adults can focus on umpiring the older divisions, where (in theory) outcomes and correct calls are more important, than the young ages where it is supposed to be more about learning the game and skills.

Each team is required to have an "adult coordinator" for any game when the umpire is not 18. The adult coordinator must be registered with the league and have undergone a background check and is responsible for helping in the event the coaches and umpires do not agree, or if an adult coach is "abusive" towards an umpire. Unfortunately, the adult coordinator is a parent of one of the players and a fan of that team, so if the parents are immature and stupid enough to fight, who knows if the cooridnator is any more responsible. In our league, I've only seen the adult coordinator have to step in when there was question of seeing lighting in the area (which requires players to go to cars or inside for 30 minutes).

Unfortunately, while I've seen no issues on the baseball field, in my area there have been several reports of fights with parents during basketball games. The last one was a elementary school girl's basketball and from 2nd hand information, I heard that the person who runs the entire league was involved and as guilty as anyone. It's completely ridiculous that anyone things this is ok, or that anything can happen at a baseball game for 7 year olds worth fighting about.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:32 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You’ve lived a sheltered/fortunate life but this was certainly happening 20 years ago and shockingly enough outside of the ghettos
Further back than that, too. I was a coach and an ump in the 1960s-80s and I saw things get physical more than once. Fortunately it was rare.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:28 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
The key is to find out who were the three or four people who instigated the violence. (Shouldn't be too hard to do). Then hammer the living hell out of them. (The rest of the people should be held accountable too, but probably some of them only jumped in after they saw their relative or friend getting hit............which to me is a bit different. They may have been more in a "protect my buddy" mode.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:59 AM

11,775 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Where were you raised, in the ghetto? This NEVER happened, not 20 years ago, not 50 years ago except in places inhabited by junkies and various uneducated slum meat.
Bull - this happens in suburban leagues in Western New York at least once a year and we're hardly druggies or slum meat. Parents get too involved especially when their kids are acting out their dreams. It was happening 30 yrs ago when my kids were in baseball, soccer and basketball - and to top it off - these were Catholic school leagues.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:04 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Wonder how much of this has to do with the cost and effort parents have to put into their kids sports than when we were kids decades ago. Back then we road our bikes to practice and games. Parents didn't come to practice and sometimes not to games. They were for the kids to play.

But today, there are no neighborhood ball fields to play or practice on. You have to drive the kids there and it takes so much time, esp if you have several kids at different practices that you're sitting in the stands for both practice and games. Instead of games being two blocks over, they're now out of town. Our kids played LL, softball, and soccer. While our local leagues were fairly cheap, only costing a few hundred bucks to play, we learned from talking to parents in some of the larger leagues around that they were paying thousands per year for their kid to play soccer. And they were having to sign contracts committing to practices and out of town games (some of these teams would be traveling 3 weekends out of every month).

My observation from watching and talking to other parents was the more time and money parents put into the sport, the more they expected to win every game. And the more they would fuss, fume, and argue over call that they felt "cheated" their team.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:08 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Wonder how much of this has to do with the cost and effort parents have to put into their kids sports than when we were kids decades ago. Back then we road our bikes to practice and games. Parents didn't come to practice and sometimes not to games. They were for the kids to play.

But today, there are no neighborhood ball fields to play or practice on. You have to drive the kids there and it takes so much time, esp if you have several kids at different practices that you're sitting in the stands for both practice and games. Instead of games being two blocks over, they're now out of town. Our kids played LL, softball, and soccer. While our local leagues were fairly cheap, only costing a few hundred bucks to play, we learned from talking to parents in some of the larger leagues around that they were paying thousands per year for their kid to play soccer. And they were having to sign contracts committing to practices and out of town games (some of these teams would be traveling 3 weekends out of every month).

My observation from watching and talking to other parents was the more time and money parents put into the sport, the more they expected to win every game. And the more they would fuss, fume, and argue over call that they felt "cheated" their team.
I’m familiar with both the league and the area that this all occurred. Parents in this are have a lot of options for sports including local YMCA’s and Recreation Centers. This league that the brawling parents were involved in is competitive but it’s not overly expensive. All of the games would be local, no traveling far and there are also a lot of places to play ball around town, parks, school fields, etc. I think it’s just a case of parents losing all perspective and behaving badly at their kid’s sports event. There are unfortunately a lot of adults involved in youth sports from coaches to parents who have no concept of sportsmanship and forget that important aspect of the game. All that matters to them is winning. I’ve seen this type of behavior too many times, first hand. Not to this level of it actually culminating in a brawl but pretty darn close. It’s pathetic and ruins sports for a lot of kids and their families.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:56 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,979 times
In the name of Jesus..Sounds like Allah akbar. Just the exactly same mind set. Western civilization is running back to the 15th century...
One naked breast, and the whole country comes to a stand still...

People should start enjoying live....

Old 06-22-2019, 10:05 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

But today, there are no neighborhood ball fields to play or practice on. You have to drive the kids there and it takes so much time, esp if you have several kids at different practices that you're sitting in the stands for both practice and games. Instead of games being two blocks over, they're now out of town. Our kids played LL, softball, and soccer. While our local leagues were fairly cheap, only costing a few hundred bucks to play, we learned from talking to parents in some of the larger leagues around that they were paying thousands per year for their kid to play soccer. And they were having to sign contracts committing to practices and out of town games (some of these teams would be traveling 3 weekends out of every month)

I think there is some truth to this also. Youth sports has always been expensive, but has really gone though the roof in the last 2 decades. Travel Baseball, Volleyball, and Soccer can get up too $1000 a month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events