Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 07:16 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times

Advertisements

Yet, these are all isolated incidents, 99.9% of the time at kids games, nothing like this happens. If this had happened at one of my kid’s games and they witnessed it, I’d consider it to be a lesson for them on what not to do as adults. The closest we ever came to anything like this was when one of my kids played on a team where the coach was an a-hole as were some of the parents. No brawls but definitely a lack of sportsmanship from some of these adults. We had conversations with our kids throughout the season about some of the a-hole adult behavior. It’s life, we can’t control everything but certainly will steer clear of that group of people and not sign up for such a team again and can talk to our kids about it. No need to ban parents or adults from watching kids sports because of a handful of idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
And what type of message is this sending to kids who are being exposed to this behavior, by spectators at these events? In my opinion, in a civilized society it is unacceptable to have this happen at an event for children. Even one time is too much, and I doubt you or anybody else has a better solution for stopping it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UPqEWeaRo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ROOSqTe-LM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OjOsJD37kc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6K1JyDomkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDfyHPtOIfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkI1XbdulQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwp2z7Aibac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2LvkymZ1L8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 07:17 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Easy fix: the very first time a parent gets even a little bit out of line at a game, they are banned from going to games for one year. The second time, it's a lifetime ban.

The message will get out REALLY quick.
Who is going to enforce that?

Do you realize that assault and battery are criminal behavior punishable by jail time?

Prosecute and try.

THAT message will get out relatively quick.

Most humans are thick-headed creatures; only very, very few messages change attitudes of mind REALLY quick.

Either way, illegality is no joke.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:39 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,901,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Who is going to enforce that?

Do you realize that assault and battery are criminal behavior punishable by jail time?

Prosecute and try.

THAT message will get out relatively quick.

Most humans are thick-headed creatures; only very, very few messages change attitudes of mind REALLY quick.

Either way, illegality is no joke.
Whatever league or rec department is sponsoring the games would enforce the bans. As policy.
And yes, I am all in favor of throwing people in jail, too. For a long time. Again, because these are childrens events/activities. (I would be a lot less harsh if it was an adult softball league fight, for example).

Old 06-24-2019, 08:58 AM

35,004 posts, read 16,972,291 times
I don't know if anyone remembers this episode, but back at the turn of the millennium a father killed another father when spectating at a youth hockey game. See Father in Killing at Hockey Rink Is Given Sentence of 6 to 10 Years. In that case both the killer and the victim, and their parents and children, had a pattern of violence.

I doubt that violence is new to at least some of the buffoons in Denver.
Quote:
Whatever league or rec department is sponsoring the games would enforce the bans. As policy.
And yes, I am all in favor of throwing people in jail, too. For a long time. Again, because these are childrens events/activities. (I would be a lot less harsh if it was an adult softball league fight, for example).
See my note above. These people are probably not new to bad behavior.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:50 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s still extremely rare when you consider how many games are played across the country every single day.
As I said, one time is too much. It is unacceptable to have this happen in front of children. It's setting a bad example for the kids. It would be better to have no Little League at all, then this.

Second, it's not rare. You are burying your head in the sand if you think it is. I pulled all of those videos off the first two pages of search results. I could have posted endless more, and that is just the tip of the iceberg. As others have posted this has been going on since long before people were video recording it. The status quo is not working.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:55 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
I can't blame the parents for getting excited about their son's ball game. After all, there were probably a half a dozen pro baseball scouts attending, wanting to get an early look at my amazing kid. So a bad call by the ump could make the difference between an offer from a pro team versus life in the minor leagues.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I would say that anybody who gets in a fight at a children's event, should automatically be charged with child endangerment.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:07 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
As I said, one time is too much. It is unacceptable to have this happen in front of children. It's setting a bad example for the kids. It would be better to have no Little League at all, then this.

Second, it's not rare. You are burying your head in the sand if you think it is. I pulled all of those videos off the first two pages of search results. I could have posted endless more, and that is just the tip of the iceberg. As others have posted this has been going on since long before people were video recording it. The status quo is not working.
The probability of fights occurring a children’s sporting events is pretty low. You being able to pull pages of hits up on a search engine doesn’t change that. How many other things should be ban when the probability of an issue is single digits and most likely less than 1%?

Old 06-24-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know if anyone remembers this episode, but back at the turn of the millennium a father killed another father when spectating at a youth hockey game. See Father in Killing at Hockey Rink Is Given Sentence of 6 to 10 Years. In that case both the killer and the victim, and their parents and children, had a pattern of violence.

I doubt that violence is new to at least some of the buffoons in Denver.
Follow up, to that story. The cycle of violence continues.

Quote:
Quinlan Junta, who was accused of a brutal home invasion earlier this year, reportedly died over the weekend while in custody. His father, Thomas Junta, was convicted of manslaughter after fatally injuring a man during a fight at a youth hockey game.

The son of the Reading “hockey dad” convicted in a fatal altercation at a youth hockey game in 2000 died over the weekend. Quinlan Junta was accused of a brutal home invasion earlier this year. His father, Thomas Junta, was convicted of manslaughter after fatally injuring a man during a fight at a youth hockey game.
Quinlan Junta, son of ‘hockey dad’ convicted of manslaughter, dies at 21 - News - Wicked Local - Boston, MA

Old 06-24-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yet, these are all isolated incidents, 99.9% of the time at kids games, nothing like this happens. If this had happened at one of my kid’s games and they witnessed it, I’d consider it to be a lesson for them on what not to do as adults. The closest we ever came to anything like this was when one of my kids played on a team where the coach was an a-hole as were some of the parents. No brawls but definitely a lack of sportsmanship from some of these adults. We had conversations with our kids throughout the season about some of the a-hole adult behavior. It’s life, we can’t control everything but certainly will steer clear of that group of people and not sign up for such a team again and can talk to our kids about it. No need to ban parents or adults from watching kids sports because of a handful of idiots.
That is not the way child psychology works. Kids learn behavior by watching what adults do. Witnessing adults behaving this way is not going to benefit the kids in any positive way. Evident by the article I just posted of the kid whose dad beat another dad to death at a youth hockey game. He is now dead himself after committing a violent crime. It's part of a cycle of violence. This has got to stop. Dismissing it as isolated incidents is not helping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events