Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 06:31 AM

51,270 posts, read 36,923,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
There are several organized, daily shark feeding scuba dives near this area. By the way, there have been six other shark bite incidents in the Bahamas in the last month, none of them fatal but a couple very serious.
I’ve heard on a couple of shows that as the ocean waters continue to warm they expect shark attacks to become more frequent.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It not very populated, but seems to have a lot of tourists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i-ZNbqFy3g
It’s not populated at all, as in there is no residential housing or infrastructure on the island itself. But the beach and waters are a very popular snorkeling area as it’s only a couple of miles from Paradise Island. On TripAdvisor it’s number two on the list of places to go while in the Bahamas.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-29-2019 at 07:01 AM..

Old 06-29-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I read the article. Maybe I missed it. But were they in an area that wasn't very populated? I remember doing that in the Bahamas in pretty deep water. Kinda would make me think twice now.
Most shark attacks on humans occur in shallow water.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/9040...ably-wont-help

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-29-2019 at 06:54 AM..

Old 06-29-2019, 07:11 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,708,269 times
I live in Florida, a friend flies for mosquito control. He flies right over the beaches and said " If anyone ever knew how many sharks were within feet of them, they would never go in the water again !"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d90E5N8aYNQ

After all, it is their home and we are the visitors there.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:55 AM

88,885 posts, read 85,369,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The shark steaks sold in restaurants here are not those kind of sharks, it’s usually Mako or something similar. Shark meat has been found to have extremely high levels of mercury in any case, I wouldn’t eat them.
That's true, it usually is mako. I've had shark meat. It was OK. There are other fish I like better. True about the mercury, though I don't tend to worry about things like that too much.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:06 PM

23,533 posts, read 19,266,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
There are several organized, daily shark feeding scuba dives near this area. By the way, there have been six other shark bite incidents in the Bahamas in the last month, none of them fatal but a couple very serious.
Which suggests that all this activity is habituating some of them. The more they learn that swimmers are a source of food and not just something to be suspicious of and avoid, the more likely they end up biting someone when they are taking the bait. Sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen...oh wait...already has.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Which suggests that all this activity is habituating some of them. The more they learn that swimmers are a source of food and not just something to be suspicious of and avoid, the more likely they end up biting someone when they are taking the bait. Sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen...oh wait...already has.
They don’t see swimmers as a source of food, they don’t attack humans to eat in fact they don’t eat them even after they attack them. Most often they mistake humans for something else. For instance surfers are frequent victims because the wetsuits make them look like seals to sharks.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:50 PM

22,695 posts, read 24,723,269 times
Tickyul, note to self....................never swim in waters that contain huge Fleshmonsters.

I mean, that is just my rule, makes sense to me. But to each their own.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:25 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,546,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They don’t see swimmers as a source of food, they don’t attack humans to eat in fact they don’t eat them even after they attack them. Most often they mistake humans for something else. For instance surfers are frequent victims because the wetsuits make them look like seals to sharks.
Tigers are pretty indiscriminate hunters. There have also been several shark attacks where the sharks keep coming back and bystanders have to fend them off. They are clearly interested.

Caribbean water overall (and I have only been to Honduras (islands), Jamaica, Caymans, Turks and Caicos, Virgin Gorda, Tortola, and PR multiple times) is pretty darn clear.

Sharks have sophisticated visual, olfactory, and electrical sensing systems.

Highly sophisticated.

This rubbish we tell ourselves about mistaken identity may be so that a. We feel better and/or b. "Revenge" against the animals is mitigated.

It's a good enough story bc who can actually ask the sharks?

As for accounts where the GW bit and released...this is often how they actually hunt. They are ambush predators and a lot of their prey is effin dangerous (consider a 3000 pound elephant seal). Incapacitate, wait, finish off.

This is so sad. With all the shark baiting that goes on around the Bahamas and the fact that they have a huge population (over 40 species) of sharks in that area, I can't help but agree the animals are becoming habituated.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Tigers are pretty indiscriminate hunters. There have also been several shark attacks where the sharks keep coming back and bystanders have to fend them off. They are clearly interested.

Caribbean water overall (and I have only been to Honduras (islands), Jamaica, Caymans, Turks and Caicos, Virgin Gorda, Tortola, and PR multiple times) is pretty darn clear.

Sharks have sophisticated visual, olfactory, and electrical sensing systems.

Highly sophisticated.

This rubbish we tell ourselves about mistaken identity may be so that a. We feel better and/or b. "Revenge" against the animals is mitigated.

It's a good enough story bc who can actually ask the sharks?

This is so sad. With all the shark baiting that goes on around the Bahamas and the fact that they have a huge population (over 40 species) of sharks in that area, I can't help but agree the animals are becoming habituated.
I think they’re becoming used to being around people and thus are losing any natural fear of humans (Just as bears near residential areas have lost their fear of humans) but I do not think they are looking at us as a food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events