Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 01:34 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,152,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
And that risk is low, about a 1 in 3,748,067 chance.

When someone is killed in a car crash, which is more likely, they know the "risk" of being in a car
It is not rare. In Hawaii shark attack is so frequent that hardly anybody is surprised.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,892,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
It is not rare. In Hawaii shark attack is so frequent that hardly anybody is surprised.
Pretty rare, over a ten year period, only 65 shark attacks in Hawaii, that is out of the millions of people that went into the water there,

Old 06-28-2019, 01:57 PM

102,309 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
What is the strategy for dealing with shark risk, there? When I went to the Caribbean on the recommendation of friends who'd just returned, we were advised by our friends to take spear guns. The group of 4 of us did take 1 per person. Once we got there, the locals told us, that when we see a shark, we should swim s-l-o-w-l-y to shore, not making any sudden moves. We all took that advice, and had occasion to employ it. We also didn't swim off alone; we always were with at least one other person. This girl had swum away from her parents, so they couldn't signal her to warn her, and she didn't hear their shouts.

I don't know to what extent having any strategy helps, but it can't hurt. Going into a known danger zone, one needs to be informed and prepared. So I'm wondering what the advice is of people who live, fish and surf in the danger zone as a routine thing.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:59 PM

51,208 posts, read 36,895,969 times
Quote:
It’s rare there too considering the thousands of people in the water in any given week.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:28 PM

I would not consider 65 shark attacks in 10 years as rare. The frequency is 6.5 attacks per year -- it happens once every two months. So local newspaper doesn't even report much on it since it happens so often.

Unlike other predators, i.e. lion or tiger or wolf or alligator which all are only visible around their habitats, sharks seem omnipresent. Whenever you step into water, even only waist deep, you are vulnerable to shark attack.

Shark finning is brutal. But we should give incentive to shark catching. Shark meat doesn't taste bad. It tastes like swordfish but a little bit sour. My kids are raised up eating shark meat.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,892,013 times
Quote:
I would not consider 65 shark attacks in 10 years as rare. The frequency is 6.5 attacks per year -- it happens once every two months. So local newspaper doesn't even report much on it since it happens so often.

Unlike other predators, i.e. lion or tiger or wolf or alligator which all are only visible around their habitats, sharks seem omnipresent. Whenever you step into water, even only waist deep, you are vulnerable to shark attack.

Shark finning is brutal. But we should give incentive to shark catching. Shark meat doesn't taste bad. It tastes like swordfish but a little bit sour. My kids are raised up eating shark meat.
Yes, 65 attacks in ten years, with millions upon millions of people in the water over those years, is pretty damn rare.

Now, if only 100 people went in the water per year, you would be right, it would not be rare.

There is far more danger getting to the ocean, than being in it. There is far more danger of other events killing or injuring a person in the ocean than a shark attack.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:59 PM

15,517 posts, read 9,219,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Strange, sharks are usually not pack hunters.
They are when they are going for the same food. Though I doubt she was the food. Since sharks don't eat humans. More than likely they were looking for fish scraps thrown away by fishermen in the area, which is common on islands.

Quote:
Ministry of Agriculture and Marine Resources

Public Notice

Public Advisory Following Fatal Shark Attack

Published Date : June 26, 2019

The public is advised to exercise extreme caution in and around the waters of New Providence, adjacent islands and cays, in particular the areas of northern shoreline of New Providence, the northeastern shoreline of Paradise Island, Rose Island and along the Montagu Foreshore.

The public is further advised to avoid the cleaning or discarding of fish waste in the water as this practice attracts sharks into areas often utilized for swimming by the public and our guests. Further, if a shark is seen in the swimming area, persons are advised to leave the water and in no circumstance molest or play with the animal. Also, if injured and bleeding while in the water, it is recommended that you leave the water as sharks are attracted to blood.

The Public is encouraged to report all sightings to the Public Authority
Public Advisory Following Fatal Shark Attack - Ministry of Agriculture and Marine Resources - Government

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 06-28-2019 at 04:10 PM..

Old 06-28-2019, 04:21 PM

51,208 posts, read 36,895,969 times
Quote:

Where do you get that local papers in Hawaii don’t report on them anymore? That’s not true at all.

Getting struck by lightning is rare too but it still happens to 400 people a year in the US. What makes it rare or not rare is not the frequency it’s the tiny percentage of people it happens to compared to the number that aren’t struck, or attacked, or whatever.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, 65 attacks in ten years, with millions upon millions of people in the water over those years, is pretty damn rare.

Now, if only 100 people went in the water per year, you would be right, it would not be rare.
Where are millions upon millions of people swimming in the water in Hawaii?

Many local people I know don't even swim in the ocean.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:27 PM

Why so object to catching shark and eat them?

We catch and eat every kind of fish in Hawaii. For example, Ahi (tuna) -- Blue fin, Yellow fin, Big eye,.....etc. And tuna don't eat us but we still catch and eat them.

So why is shark the exception?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events