Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 02:14 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Uh, ok, I'm game; why didn't the security guard stop him? What's the point of having a security guard?
They are there just to deter crime but are often prohibited from stopping it due to company policy. But the facts are, many store policies have it where they don't want anyone employed by that store to chase the person because if they tripped and fell, or hurt another customer trying to get out, the store could be liable. Easier to just record the images on video and let the police handle it. Besides, most stores have insurance policies that cover theft like this anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 02:30 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
They said she could face 20 years in prison, but I highly doubt that will happen.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:50 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
They said she could face 20 years in prison, but I highly doubt that will happen.

LOL Of course that's not going to happen since she's a juvenile.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:54 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
LOL Of course that's not going to happen since she's a juvenile.

Quote:
Now, Lufkin Police detectives have identified the woman based on surveillance footage, and are working to identify the man who recorded the video. Detectives have spoken with the suspect, a juvenile from San Antonio. As a minor, her identity is protected.

Police intended to arrest the woman on a charge of second-degree felony tampering with a consumer product, which carries a punishment of 2-20 years, Lufkin police told CBS News in a statement.
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/blu...ars-in-prison/

Old 07-05-2019, 03:57 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
They’ve identified her and she is a minor, a teenager. Since it’s not a violent crime she won’t face charges as an adult. Photos on news broadcast and websites have started blurring her face because she’s a minor.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Kids do stupid stuff that is outrageous just because they are young enough to think it's very funny.

I can't imagine any prison time for this girl - the risk of harm this girl might have caused is NOT more than someone reaching into a buffet line and taking food with their bare hands, someone dipping a pinkie into the dressing to taste it, or even someone who picks up apples in the grocery bin, inspects them, and puts them back, often even smelling for freshness. And those things happen ALL THE TIME.

At the restaurant, reaching bare handed into the chips on the table, selecting a chip and pushing others out of the way before picking their chip.

20 years in prison? Have we lost our minds?

Old 07-05-2019, 04:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Kids do stupid stuff that is outrageous just because they are young enough to think it's very funny.

I can't imagine any prison time for this girl - the risk of harm this girl might have caused is NOT more than someone reaching into a buffet line and taking food with their bare hands, someone dipping a pinkie into the dressing to taste it, or even someone who picks up apples in the grocery bin, inspects them, and puts them back, often even smelling for freshness. And those things happen ALL THE TIME.

At the restaurant, reaching bare handed into the chips on the table, selecting a chip and pushing others out of the way before picking their chip.

20 years in prison? Have we lost our minds?

Uh...no, we haven't lost ours. Neither have lawmakers in TX who've rightfully made food tampering a felony.

The examples you've mentioned are in no way analogous to what this kid did, opening a food item and running her tongue across it. In fact, the comparisons are ridiculous.

We all know why this juvenile will get a slap on the wrist. Thankfully, the reactions to this incident weren't from apologists like you.

It does, indeed, take all kinds.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:26 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Corpus Christi Walmart stationed an armed guard by their Blue Bell.

https://www.wthr.com/article/texas-w...bell-ice-cream

Old 07-05-2019, 05:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Uh...no, we haven't lost ours. Neither have lawmakers in TX who've rightfully made food tampering a felony.

The examples you've mentioned are in no way analogous to what this kid did, opening a food item and running her tongue across it. In fact, the comparisons are ridiculous.

We all know why this juvenile will get a slap on the wrist. Thankfully, the reactions to this incident weren't from apologists like you.

It does, indeed, take all kinds.
I think everyone here can understand the idea of transmission of germs. The behavior she engaged in is no more dangerous than the examples of things people commonly do, many who have the flu or who knows what, and they just don't care if they're fingering all the apples that someone else will eat and catch flu.

If it turns out that she has HEP C or something else horribly contagious, this will be different.

She won't get 20 years, like some wish she would, thank God it takes all kinds and cooler heads typically prevail.

Had she opened the ice cream carton up and put chemicals or drugs, or poisons, or glass shards, that would be a completely different thing.

What she did wasn't more harmful than interacting with the public, and the intent was to do something very very naughty that she thought funny.

This idea that every questionable, icky behavior rises to the level of a felony is insane.

edited to add: What about people at a soup/salad bar who taste the soup, using the ladle, and place the ladle they just licked right back in the soup? That is same the EXACT behavior, and you see it frequently. They don't shut the soup bar down, don't take the taster away in handcuffs.

Last edited by ClaraC; 07-05-2019 at 07:06 PM..

Old 07-05-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Corpus Christi Walmart stationed an armed guard by their Blue Bell.

https://www.wthr.com/article/texas-w...bell-ice-cream
An ARMED GUARD? Like, a minimum wage employee sitting on a chair in the ice cream aisle for a week or so couldn't do the trick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events