Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 09:33 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Long time ago I saw someone open a salad dressing bottle and taste and smell from the top. There was no sort of seal on it. Yikes! I reported it to a cashier but don't know what happened. I'll just bet this happens way more than we know.
And this is precisely why I always take from the back of the displayed item. As well, due to inventory rotations, when they restock shelves with product they will load the newer product behind the old, so that the old stock goes off the shelf first. This especially makes a difference with perishables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why should she be hot? She looks like a cute teenager. Strange that she waved at the surveillance camera, though.

Quite a few ice cream brands don't have a seal on them.
Your comment reminded me of an incident I witnessed at Target a few months back. As I was walking toward the exit, there was a young man walking about three paces ahead of me, holding a cup of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. As he walked nonchalantly past one security employee, she commented, 'hey, where's your receipt?' The guy cheekily held up the cup and smiled, as in 'in your face, whatcha gonna do about it?' and continued walking right out the door casually. At first I thought he might be homeless but I soon saw him driving away in a late model Japanese car. The security guard was soon joined by another employee who had just pushed carts in and they watched from inside the store together as the thief walked slowly away, making comments about the incident.

I truly believe there is a faction of our society who push the boundaries this way, doing things that are morally unacceptable to society 'because they can.' It's like they are making their social commentary about not having to enter the social contract, they get to just do whatever they can get away with because they know that no one is going to do anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Why should she be hot? She looks like a cute teenager. Strange that she waved at the surveillance camera, though.

Quite a few ice cream brands don't have a seal on them.

She wasn't waving at a surveillance camera. It was her riding buddy who recorded it, and posted it to social media.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:47 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,669,013 times
Since food tampering is a felony where this happened, I hope she is arrested and charged. The lawyer alone will cost money, plus a big fine should be implemented, if not some time in jail.

Totally disgusting and reprehensible.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:48 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
And this is precisely why I always take from the back of the displayed item. As well, due to inventory rotations, when they restock shelves with product they will load the newer product behind the old, so that the old stock goes off the shelf first. This especially makes a difference with perishables.

Your comment reminded me of an incident I witnessed at Target a few months back. As I was walking toward the exit, there was a young man walking about three paces ahead of me, holding a cup of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. As he walked nonchalantly past one security employee, she commented, 'hey, where's your receipt?' The guy cheekily held up the cup and smiled, as in 'in your face, whatcha gonna do about it?' and continued walking right out the door casually. At first I thought he might be homeless but I soon saw him driving away in a late model Japanese car. The security guard was soon joined by another employee who had just pushed carts in and they watched from inside the store together as the thief walked slowly away, making comments about the incident.

I truly believe there is a faction of our society who push the boundaries this way, doing things that are morally unacceptable to society 'because they can.' It's like they are making their social commentary about not having to enter the social contract, they get to just do whatever they can get away with because they know that no one is going to do anything about it.
Uh, ok, I'm game; why didn't the security guard stop him? What's the point of having a security guard?

Old 07-03-2019, 10:00 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
EWWWW...we don't know where her tongue has been before she decided to taste-test the Blue Bell...
Who ARE these people? WTH is happening with our society?
The cultural erosion continues...
Social Media, and the narcissistic "me-me-me" mentality with focus on "views" and "likes." That's the main issue.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:05 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Uh, ok, I'm game; why didn't the security guard stop him? What's the point of having a security guard?
Fear of causing a big fuss or worse even physical altercation? I've seen this happen when the customer gets belligerent. Then suddenly rumors fly, it's in the papers the next day, sometimes there are protests and boycotts and accuracy of the event flies out the window.

We recently had one of these minor non-issues in our small city - a bumping up of two big egos in a grocery store by two politically significant identity groups. It was hard to guess whose "rights" were going to trump the others'.

People are afraid to be misrepresented. The subject stops being about theft and becomes something political instead and then the fur flies.

Security guards aren't police. Often they are young and still unsure of their authority. They get put in some pretty tough spots by today's politicizing of every issue and have to think quickly.

Homeless? Minority? Veteran? Disabled? Mentally ill? Elderly? Children? Support animals? Celebrities? Don't question their behavior. It's a sure thing half the public will disapprove no matter what security does. 'Cause that's how we roll these days.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:19 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Store policy forbids them from pursuing them or even putting their hands on them when they steal. They can only call the police and let them handle it. The thief knows this, and knows that no one is going to bother calling the police to report the theft of a $3 cup of ice cream.

There have been countless stories of security guards and other store employees who stopped shoplifters and then ended up getting fired for not following store procedure. The people who are put on purchase patrol for exiting patrons is there for looks only, as the people who actually comply and show their receipts aren't the ones who are trying to pull a fast one. It is due to these thieves' awareness that they can commit their petty crimes with impunity that such things happen daily.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:21 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Fear of causing a big fuss or worse even physical altercation? I've seen this happen when the customer gets belligerent. Then suddenly rumors fly, it's in the papers the next day, sometimes there are protests and boycotts and accuracy of the event flies out the window.

We recently had one of these minor non-issues in our small city - a bumping up of two big egos in a grocery store by two politically significant identity groups. It was hard to guess whose "rights" were going to trump the others'.

People are afraid to be misrepresented. The subject stops being about theft and becomes something political instead and then the fur flies.

Security guards aren't police. Often they are young and still unsure of their authority. They get put in some pretty tough spots by today's politicizing of every issue and have to think quickly.

Homeless? Minority? Veteran? Disabled? Mentally ill? Elderly? Children? Support animals? Celebrities? Don't question their behavior. It's a sure thing half the public will disapprove no matter what security does. 'Cause that's how we roll these days.
Oh, dear, haha. I was LOL at your laundry list. But seriously, the security guard's job is to nab shoplifters. If he can't do that, the business is wasting its money paying him. Might as well let him go. Or are they merely window-dressing, now? A presence that management hopes will intimidate most patrons into toeing the line?

Maybe I should test your theory, with a can of caviar....

edit: Oh, never mind. I see Don'tH8Me has answered my question. Jeez, what a world!

Old 07-03-2019, 11:51 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
"Oh, dear, haha. I was LOL at your laundry list." Glad you had a chuckle and it is absurd. Demonstration of that is part of the reason for extending my list.

We're back to the Sixties when even the Grey Panthers had to get into the act. Got a political identity? You've got a voice even in the most insipid issues.

It's laughable but it is also true and not every sees the absurdity as well as you, Ruth. Look at how much "fake news" we see posted every single day that involves someone from one of these identity groups getting into a tussle at a store and the strong reactions we see from the public.

Some news sources make a living dwelling on this non-news and some people eat it up. See this thread as an example.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:10 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
I bet you that this girl is feeling quite stupid now. I don't understand the obsession of filming yourself committing a crime, doing something disgusting, etc and then posting it online. That video is now forever on the internet. Once one of her friends snitches on her for $$$ her name and the video will be forever linked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events