Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 09:42 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is a people problem as people are the ones who created the problem. Did the dogs domesticate themselves? Get brought over from the old world? No, people are the ones who are responsible for creating this issue, as the issue with pythons and whatever ever damn thing people brought over.
If the bottom line of your position is that "dog people" are morons, you'll never get any argument from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 10:07 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Dogs will pack up. In the wild that's how they would hunt...together...and the big dog leads the pack. Wolves in particular were very dangerous for mankind because a large wolf pack could overpower humans.

Your pet realizes you are the big dog. After all, you hunt and somehow bring home food in a can everyday. Once the go wild and learn how to hunt again, you won't get your dog back.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:16 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is a people problem as people are the ones who created the problem. Did the dogs domesticate themselves? Get brought over from the old world? No, people are the ones who are responsible for creating this issue, as the issue with pythons and whatever ever damn thing people brought over.
Dogs are not called "man's best friend" unreasonably. The dogs did, in a sense, domesticate themselves. Wolves that were more adaptable to human presence remained in cave man's camps, exchanging the liberty of the wild for a guaranteed meal. Without animal cruelty laws, the remedy for a wolf/dog that bit was simple; it got its head bashed in. The ones that remained were thus tamer and tamer. In exchange, people got the ability to advance to a more sedentary life, which made agriculture and the domestication of meat animals possible. Eventually dogs went on to guiding the blind, herding domestic animals, pulling sleds, and numerous other functions. In short, man would not be man without its constant companion, the dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Dogs will pack up. In the wild that's how they would hunt...together...and the big dog leads the pack. Wolves in particular were very dangerous for mankind because a large wolf pack could overpower humans.

Your pet realizes you are the big dog. After all, you hunt and somehow bring home food in a can everyday. Once the go wild and learn how to hunt again, you won't get your dog back.
Jack London, in Call of the Wild and White Fang, would say otherwise.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:17 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
If the bottom line of your position is that "dog people" are morons, you'll never get any argument from me.
What a nice generalization.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:14 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
This is a people problem, not a dog problem. Too many people don't spay and neuter their cats and dogs, yet allow them to freely roam. It's very expensive.

This is beyond a people problem. Once you get packs of feral dogs running wild, the only way to solve the problem is to catch and put them down.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh really? You find it bizarre to be bitten that many times, huhn? Tell you what, go find as little a number of dogs as 1. Get it pi$$ed at you, turn to run. Get back to me and let me know how many steps you got to take. Ever been attacked? I have, twice. Once by my parents' dog and once by a dog I went to see about adopting.

Back in the '80s, my ex and I were walking along a trail towards a waterfall on the Kangamangos in NH. We were pretty deep into the woods, out comes 3 dogs! All different breeds. Growling, heads, ears and tails down. O M G. We knew not to run, so we were backing up slowly as the dogs kept approaching. All of a sudden I stopped retreating, lifted my arm and pointed my finger and said "GO HOME!!!" They stopped, I said it again and they turned around and went back to where they came from. They weren't totally feral yet and took my command. Since that experience I when I speak of it, I always say GOD put those words in my mouth. I truly believe that.

Go ahead, turn your back on a dog and run.
Pardon, need some help getting down from that high horse? A person can find it bizarre without your desire to "shame" them for thinking such. You and ferrals have much in common to attack.

Its my opinion to consider it bizarre. Which is still allowed and respected in adult conversation.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Here we go again.

No matter what these obnoxious and extremely dangerous animals do, they are defended and protected. It's never their fault. Though it's their nature, as proven many thousands of times each and every day, it's never their fault.

I have shaken my head for nearly 70 years and will 'til the day I die.
I would be willing to bet these are pit bulls. I hate pit bulls and think 90% of them need a bullet in their head.

That being said, its not the dogs fault. Dogs are doing what dogs do. Yes, even pit bulls. They are aggressive dangerous dogs, and if you own them, you need to be responsible for them. Its your responsibility to insure they arent a danger to anyone, they need to be kept under restraint. I do think laws need to be changed to make people far more responsible if they own these dogs, even if it means jail time. Fortunately, Im in a rural farming area where pit bulls dont get a chance to do any damage. Farmers out here really frown on dog packs killing calves.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:53 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I would be willing to bet these are pit bulls. I hate pit bulls and think 90% of them need a bullet in their head.

That being said, its not the dogs fault. Dogs are doing what dogs do. Yes, even pit bulls. They are aggressive dangerous dogs, and if you own them, you need to be responsible for them. Its your responsibility to insure they arent a danger to anyone, they need to be kept under restraint. I do think laws need to be changed to make people far more responsible if they own these dogs, even if it means jail time. Fortunately, Im in a rural farming area where pit bulls dont get a chance to do any damage. Farmers out here really frown on dog packs killing calves.
Golden Retrievers or Newfoundlands, I suspect.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:24 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Up in our area, the veterinarians charge ridiculous prices to spay and neuter dogs and cats. If the government would subsidize these fees, I think with lowered prices, more people would spay/neuter their pets.

At our shelter, they charge people to bring in their pets for adoption or to be euthanized.
At our shelter, they charge people to adopt a pet... they charge less if it is spayed/neutered, and collect at least half of the spay/neuter fee if it isn't.

Our shelter has thousands of dollars sitting in the bank from donations, animals sold, and fund raisers. It pisses me off that they charge so much when they could be helping the pet population by also contributing towards the expenses for the vet to spay/neuter.

Oh no, they want to HOLD onto that money. For what?

Old 07-10-2019, 08:26 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Golden Retrievers or Newfoundlands, I suspect.
A ridiculous answer. Most of them are big, gentle teddy bears with huge hearts. Pit bull mixes are a common denominator in dog attacks and you can't deny this. Yes, rarely other breeds are involved, but not too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events