Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 09:40 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times

Advertisements

I see blame being thrown around for various breeds of dogs but I think what some of you fail to realize is that the dogs that attacked that man don't even have to be a specific breed, and they don't even have to be born in the wild. Even domesticated family pets left to their own devices and are allowed to roam free, and join in a pack will go right back to pack behavior once it's joined the pack. Those types of dogs may even go home regularly. They probably won't become the Alpha dog or high up in the packs hierarchy.. but they're still going to follow that Alpha and base their behavior on what the upper hierarchy do. If the dogs in the upper hierarchy attack someone or another dog, the dogs that are in the lower hierarchy may only just bark, but even just barking will contribute more anxiety to the leaders and keep the attack going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 09:43 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
This is a people problem, not a dog problem. .........

Somewhere alone the line there is a human that dropped the ball of responsibility for their pet. But once a dog goes feral, the solution is to have that dog destroyed. He can no longer live harmlessly in society, so he should be removed permanently, even if way back at the beginning, maybe even several generations back, if was not the dog's fault.

Low cost spay neuter clinics have done a lot to help with the excess pet problem. It doesn't stop irresponsible people, but it does help the problem quite a bit. I'm a big advocate of supporting the free or low cost spay neuter clinics.

Free roaming dog packs might not be ferals. It's possible that they are latch key pets, turned loose to roam free all day and returning home at night to act like a loving pet. Trap, destroy the dogs, fine the owners.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:23 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Like others have said, this is a PEOPLE caused problem, not the dogs' doing. As much as I hate Pit Bulls and anything it is mixed with and have known a couple of decent ones, it begins and ends with people. THEY let the dog(s)[cats] loose, not fixed, of course an animal is going to do what animals do....procreate! I think it is also a shame that vets gouge people in the eyes when a responsible person wants to do the right thing for their pet.

Whoever said bring back the old time roaming dog catchers, that is a good idea.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Pardon, need some help getting down from that high horse? A person can find it bizarre without your desire to "shame" them for thinking such. You and ferrals have much in common to attack.

Its my opinion to consider it bizarre. Which is still allowed and respected in adult conversation.
I hope this thread has re-educated you then. No my horse is just fine, tyvm.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:28 AM

14,309 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I think it's absolutely disgusting that people are using this tragedy as an opportunity to blather about hating pit bulls, when they have no idea what type of dogs were involved.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think it's absolutely disgusting that people are using this tragedy as an opportunity to blather about hating pit bulls, when they have no idea what type of dogs were involved.
I didn't say Pitties did this. I just said I hate the breed. Chances are though, Alpha was a Pit or a Shepard or a Rottie. You know, one of those aggressive breeds that people like to turn into killers.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:48 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
A ridiculous answer. Most of them are big, gentle teddy bears with huge hearts. Pit bull mixes are a common denominator in dog attacks and you can't deny this. Yes, rarely other breeds are involved, but not too often.
Golden Retrievers and Newfoundlands attack on both ends, with their tails. As far as their teeth how would you feel if you were a tennis ball or a duck? Also they look mean.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Golden Retrievers and Newfoundlands attack on both ends, with their tails. As far as their teeth how would you feel if you were a tennis ball or a duck? Also they look mean.
What??? Look mean? Oh, like a mean teddy bear?

Old 07-10-2019, 10:56 AM

14,309 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I didn't say Pitties did this. I just said I hate the breed.
Just what I said, taking an opportunity to air an irrelevant opinion, and you weren't the only one. It's not that different from hearing a crime was committed by some unknown person, and blurting out that you'd bet it was an illegal or a homeless person or a racial minority.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Just what I said, taking an opportunity to air an irrelevant opinion, and you weren't the only one. It's not that different from hearing a crime was committed by some unknown person, and blurting out that you'd bet it was an illegal or a homeless person or a racial minority.
If the shoe fits.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events