Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 11:07 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
A periodic "open season" on dogs would go a long way toward solving the problem. Like feral hogs in Texas, where it is always open season.

if animal control officers can't handle the work load, let volunteers do it.
You'd get no argument from me, since the problem is way too big for educational efforts to make a measurable difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 11:34 AM
KCZ

4,675 posts, read 3,667,429 times
The problem is that a lot of those feral dogs and cats are slinking around well-populated areas where shooting isn't necessarily safe for nearby humans.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The problem is that a lot of those feral dogs and cats are slinking around well-populated areas where shooting isn't necessarily safe for nearby humans.
Yes, you're right of course and my previous response was essentially tongue-in-cheek - an expression of how strongly I feel about the subject.

I personally live in an area where there is virtually none of this problem, whereas I had lots of it in years past, mostly in other states. Since society seems infinitely distant from consensus on what to do about the dog problem, it sadly seems that for now it is up to each of us individually to distance ourselves from it as best we can. I simply would not live in an environment where I was regularly harassed by dogs. But I understand that, especially for many younger people, that is much easier stated than accomplished.

Eventually, enough people will wise up enough and get fed up enough to collectively demand action. Unfortunately it will take much longer than it should.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:21 PM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
There are two kinds of people who trust strange dogs. Inexperienced children and fools.

Indeed, to put your full trust even in your "family" dog has disastrous and even fatal results on numerous occasions each year. Most dog attack fatalities are at the jaws of the owner's dog.

Vicious, aggressive, injurious behavior is what proves the evil ALL dogs are capable of and have lurking just below the surface. In many cases, it is not below the surface at all.

People problem? Sure, that's part of it, as you so deftly illustrate. But all most people do is distribute it. Dogs kill and maim because it comes naturally for them to kill and maim. Only the blind see "nice" and "innocent".
Well, hmm, humans have a far worse record of attacking, killing and maiming other humans than dogs could ever have, and it seems to come quite naturally to them, too. And not just talking about strangers, but one's own family--domestic violence is not a small problem. Do you live alone?

Old 07-11-2019, 12:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Attacked twice and still in denial....to the millionth power. Oh, well................
I have been attacked by people, so, I should heed your advice?

Old 07-11-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, hmm, humans have a far worse record of attacking, killing and maiming other humans than dogs could ever have, and it seems to come quite naturally to them, too. And not just talking about strangers, but one's own family--domestic violence is not a small problem. Do you live alone?
I see you have tangential irrelevancy down to a science.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 PM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
I see you have tangential irrelevancy down to a science.
If I'm going to worry about threats, I'm going to try to prioritize the ones that are most likely to happen. Statistically, I'm far more likely to be harmed by a human than a dog, and exponentially more likely to be fatally harmed.* It makes no more sense to eradicate all dogs, which seems to be your agenda, than to eradicate all humans.

* 2018 statistics: intentional homicides in USA: 17,250. Fatalities due to dog attacks in USA: 36.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:45 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Can we leave feral cats out of this thread please? As far as I know feral cats have never attacked and killed a human plus you'll save me the trouble of climbing onto my soapbox informing everyone about how feral cats keep the rodent population down.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:57 PM

623 posts, read 312,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
all you really need is to carry a handgun while you are traveling.
This is post #65. We had to get to post #65 to get a sane, directly relevant answer?

Any of y'all heard of Charles Darwin? I reckon he figured that dog packs were a way to weed out people too stupid to carry guns. If he didn't, he should have.

Next?

Old 07-11-2019, 03:13 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
sorry, I think you love "some" cats/ dogs, with the exception of the biological and physically deemed feral ones. Just want to clear that up that you have zero love for the ferals behavior and high capacity to want to survive...at any cost.

I point blank have little desire to have cats around....period. yet its not my decision to run the animal kingdom and decide who goes and who stays...

There is a system in place to cease feral animals....Its not one that is supported though....dern those animal rights activist !!

I find it bizarre to be bite that many times.....I get one mosquito bite and I am off and running....away from those insects
You can't outrun a dog.

You can't outrun a dog.

You can't outrun a dog.

Also....you can't outrun a dog.

Dogs are pack animals; it's in their DNA to surround the victim. My dogs automatically did it to me while playing games. One goes one way, and the other goes the other way...to cut you off.

There were a lot of dogs in that incident. Even if he had wanted to run, he would have been surrounded by the pack. I'm sure you've seen this in wildlife documentaries. But it's not a good idea to try to run from a dog, anyway. That sparks their prey instinct, and they'll immediately pounce or give chase.

Besides, did you know that you can't outrun a dog?

Best when walking in areas that have loose dogs, or in semi-rural or rural areas, to always carry weapons against loose animals. A sturdy stick, pepper spray, Halt spray. It might help to carry treats to throw in the distance as a distraction. And keep an eye out for strays and areas of safety you could turn to at the first sign of a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events