Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 09:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

A man in Florida was likely killed by a pack of dogs that bit him more than 100 times as he took a shortcut home, authorities said.

Melvin Olds Jr., 45, was found dead before noon Thursday in an animal attack in a wooded area near Lake Placid, according to a Highland County Sheriff's news release. He was last seen alive a few hours earlier.

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-man-f...170040139.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 06:56 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
That there are that many stray dogs around is depressing. Now they’ll all need to put down, and maybe that area should spend more time focusing on the stray animal population and getting that under control. This was an avoidable tragedy. A very painful death for that poor man.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:25 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
This is a people problem, not a dog problem. Too many people don't spay and neuter their cats and dogs, yet allow them to freely roam. It's very expensive.

It cost us more than $200 to neuter a stray, little kitten we rescued from certain death. All his shots and vaccines cost us another $100 or so. It's outrageous. Dogs cost even more.

Many people can barely afford to take themselves or their children to a doctor. They can't afford to spay/neuter their pets.

Yeah, we can rag on them, insult them and call them all kinds of names, but that doesn't solve this growing problem.

It's time that our local governments stepped in and recognized the need to address this growing dilemma. The money is there. It needs to be better allocated to help citizens in need.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:08 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
I agree. It is a people problem.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:24 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
This is a people problem, not a dog problem. Too many people don't spay and neuter their cats and dogs, yet allow them to freely roam. It's very expensive.

It cost us more than $200 to neuter a stray, little kitten we rescued from certain death. All his shots and vaccines cost us another $100 or so. It's outrageous. Dogs cost even more.

Many people can barely afford to take themselves or their children to a doctor. They can't afford to spay/neuter their pets.

Yeah, we can rag on them, insult them and call them all kinds of names, but that doesn't solve this growing problem.

It's time that our local governments stepped in and recognized the need to address this growing dilemma. The money is there. It needs to be better allocated to help citizens in need.
You're partially right but it a dual problem....people need to be responsible/held accountable but the many strays need to be culled and euthanized. There aren't enough people around willing to adopt strays....is it fair to the dogs or all their fault? No....but the cold hard truth is they need to be exterminated to remove them and prevent these types of attacks occurring.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:34 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:

A lot of the dogs we have in shelters and rescues up in NJ come from the South, where it seems a lot more people let their dogs roam and where fewer people get them spayed and neutered. We have entire rescue organizations dedicated to saving dogs from just SC and GA for adoption around here.

It is a people problem and it’s sad it leads to some violent strays but you can’t have dogs killing people. I hope they can find all these strays who attacked this man and euthanize them, and I hope this area can work on controlling the stray population in any way it can, including better efforts to find them and pick them up to be sent to rescues.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:55 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
You're partially right but it a dual problem....people need to be responsible/held accountable but the many strays need to be culled and euthanized. There aren't enough people around willing to adopt strays....is it fair to the dogs or all their fault? No....but the cold hard truth is they need to be exterminated to remove them and prevent these types of attacks occurring.
You're 100% correct. We can't tolerate wild dogs attacking people. It's not the dog's fault, but they have to be destroyed regardless. We (society) need to come to grips with this increasing feral dog and cat problem. Every county in my state is overrun, mostly with the feral cats.

I love cats and dogs, but I can do without the wild ones tearing up my yard and garden. They're a nuisance. There is no system in place that controls the growing population of the feral colonies. Our animal shelters do what they can (God bless those wonderful, hardworking volunteers), but more input is needed by local government.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:27 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
Dollars for donuts, I bet these dogs were pit bulls.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:30 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Post mortem?

Old 07-08-2019, 03:39 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Quote:
You're 100% correct. We can't tolerate wild dogs attacking people. It's not the dog's fault, but they have to be destroyed regardless. We (society) need to come to grips with this increasing feral dog and cat problem. Every county in my state is overrun, mostly with the feral cats.

I love cats and dogs, but I can do without the wild ones tearing up my yard and garden. They're a nuisance. There is no system in place that controls the growing population of the feral colonies. Our animal shelters do what they can (God bless those wonderful, hardworking volunteers), but more input is needed by local government.
sorry, I think you love "some" cats/ dogs, with the exception of the biological and physically deemed feral ones. Just want to clear that up that you have zero love for the ferals behavior and high capacity to want to survive...at any cost.

I point blank have little desire to have cats around....period. yet its not my decision to run the animal kingdom and decide who goes and who stays...

There is a system in place to cease feral animals....Its not one that is supported though....dern those animal rights activist !!

I find it bizarre to be bite that many times.....I get one mosquito bite and I am off and running....away from those insects
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events