Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2020, 06:45 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The attorney said there was absolutely no alcohol involved; that the grandfather is not a drinker. That may or may not be true, but that's what was said. Seems like alcohol/drug testing should be routine in accidents that caused a death.
It should have been. I imagine his daughter made sure he did not take one.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:51 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
But the family isn't concerned about those tapes playing in civil court?
As I said, pure hypothetical. But by now, the best approach the family can take is to keep the grandfather out of the civil court proceedings completely. (He's not a party to the suit.) That guilty plea makes for a bit of a problem.

"Your honor, ladies and gentlemen of the jury: As a matter of fact, and of law, Royal Caribbean's duty of care does not extend to those who will engage in criminally negligent actions."

Ironically, they can use Royal Caribbean's motion to dismiss to argue that the grandfather is irrelevant, because that has been the cruise line's approach throughout - that this is a case about window design, applicable standards and the duty of care that applies to the operator of a large passenger vessel.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:52 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
The attorney said there was absolutely no alcohol involved; that the grandfather is not a drinker.
The attorney has said a lot of things, some true.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It should have been. I imagine his daughter made sure he did not take one.
This amount of wild guessing, with no information whatsoever, is amazing.

This darling baby is splat dead on the first floor deck of the ship. The family had been in the flush of joy of embarking on a cruise, all was well, until the unthinkable horror happened.

Grandpa is a sobbing mess, on the floor, while ship employees scramble to find a sheet to cover this daring little girl's remains so as not to horrify other passengers more than has already happened.

The mother and father are in absolute shock.

It seems to you, at that moment, the mother's focus is on keeping her stepfather away from law enforcement and shielding him from a blood alcohol test? When it's been said and backed up by those who know him that he doesn't drink?

This wild guess is on you, not on the family, Chessie.

It's funny, they say what you assume about complete strangers when you have no information is more telling about your own character, not about theirs.

(In that vein, John Denver was known for saying his fans must be the most wonderful people on Earth, because without knowing him personally, they assumed very favorable things about him, and wanted to invite him to their homes, etc. He acknowledged that good will was coming from their projections about him, and from their own good hearts, not from his actual character).

Last edited by ClaraC; 02-27-2020 at 07:15 PM..

Old 02-27-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
This amount of wild guessing, with no information whatsoever, is amazing.

This darling baby is splat dead on the first floor deck of the ship. The family had been in the flush of joy of embarking on a cruise, all was well, until the unthinkable horror happened.

Grandpa is a sobbing mess, on the floor, while ship employees scramble to find a sheet to cover this daring little girl's remains so as not to horrify other passengers more than has already happened.

The mother and father are in absolute shock.

It seems to you, at that moment, the mother's focus is on keeping her stepfather away from law enforcement and shielding him from a blood alcohol test? When it's been said and backed up by those who know him that he doesn't drink?

This wild guess is on you, not on the family, Chessie.

It's funny, they say what you assume about complete strangers when you have no information is more telling about your own character, not about theirs.

(In that vein, John Denver was known for saying his fans must be the most wonderful people on Earth, because without knowing him personally, they assumed very favorable things about him, and wanted to invite him to their homes, etc. He acknowledged that good will was coming from their projections about him, not from his actual character).
Then stop with the silly assertions that this was in any way the fault if anyone other than the GF. I’ve never said that I felt it was intentional. I would bet my life that the GF would take a do-over on that day. That has nothing to do with it. What is irksome is that the family would try to place blame anywhere other than the GF. If they had not filed the lawsuit, this thread would have died a long time ago.

Who cares about John Denver?

Old 02-27-2020, 07:49 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Then stop with the silly assertions that this was in any way the fault if anyone other than the GF. I’ve never said that I felt it was intentional. I would bet my life that the GF would take a do-over on that day. That has nothing to do with it. What is irksome is that the family would try to place blame anywhere other than the GF. If they had not filed the lawsuit, this thread would have died a long time ago.

Who cares about John Denver?
I don't think she's saying it's not the grandfather's fault. She was just saying that the baby's mother's first thoughts wouldn't be to keep the grandfather from being given a blood alcohol test.

I care about John Denver.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I don't think she's saying it's not the grandfather's fault. She was just saying that the baby's mother's first thoughts wouldn't be to keep the grandfather from being given a blood alcohol test.

Lol. Yay you.

To be frank, I would be surprised if anyone thought about it at the time. I had read that he refused one, but I just can’t imagine that anyone would have been thinking along those lines until much later, late enough that it would not have mattered.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:

Exactly. ;D I have to spread reputation around, apparently, so I was denied giving you rep points again. ;D

Old 02-27-2020, 08:11 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
I too have skirted the ban on bringing in my own alcohol on these ships.
I am really tight with my money (more so than most) but that is not the reason why.
The truth is I am just lazy and I don’t like most people.

I always buy the unlimited drink and soda bracelet but I sneak in booze.
I am not just overly social and that is really an understatement.

I really don’t like the bump, bump, bump noise thing they call music on the Lido Deck.
How about some Niel Diamond, Eagles, Gunz & Roses or Lynyrd Skynyrd?
Heck even Elton John, but that bump, bump thing with a no talent DJ is really wearing.

I’m ok with just spending time in my room reading or working while having a drink or two while not having to get up, walk a couple hundred yards or so to get one.
I find this somewhat soothing for me and I like it a lot.
I actually do this often and don’t feel that I am stealing from them
I give them their dues so I don’t feel that I am cheating them.

The line to get on a Cruise Ship is rather long and tedious.
It is just a real drag to one as I who has ADD.

Me?
When I am on vacation and I am partying.
I have no ill regrets of having a “roady” or two while I am walking and waiting in that long ass boarding line.

I wonder if the Step Grandfather has any “ill regrets” ?

I know that I am just assuming but “what makes sense here” ?
To me this seems to fit more so than the garbage that I have read.

As Judge Judy would say “if it doesn’t make sense or sound reasonable it probably a lie”.

Andy.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Exactly. ;D I have to spread reputation around, apparently, so I was denied giving you rep points again. ;D
I am far from "hurtful and mean" which is what you put in your negative rep to me. Which, by the way, is against the rules here if you did not know that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events