Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 09:16 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,807,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No, I don't think any lawyer would take that case.
I think a lawyer already has. He has made at least one public statement blaming the cruise ship.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:18 AM

22 posts, read 10,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppadoo View Post
I initially put blame On Royal Caribbean's. But the little I know in the pictures I've seen this seems to be an unfortunate accident. It's natural for the parents to wanna blame someone. My condolences to the family
They should be blaming the grandfather. The one that caused it. Accident or not he did it. But people are saying he had a reason.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:19 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think a lawyer already has. He has made at least one public statement blaming the cruise ship.
We don't know if the lawyer was retained to defend the grandfather (police were investigating whether there were grounds to accuse him of a crime), or if it was to sue the cruise company, or both, do we? All we know, is they have a lawyer. They'd have to, after such a hideous and traumatic high-publicity incident, especially with a police investigation involved. These poor people are emotional basket-cases right now, and need an official spokesperson.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:05 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think they were probably bombarded with calls from lawyers as soon as the story got out.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:10 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
We don't know if the lawyer was retained to defend the grandfather (police were investigating whether there were grounds to accuse him of a crime), or if it was to sue the cruise company, or both, do we? All we know, is they have a lawyer. They'd have to, after such a hideous and traumatic high-publicity incident, especially with a police investigation involved. These poor people are emotional basket-cases right now, and need an official spokesperson.
Right. The family was in no condition to speak for themselves nor navigate what was happening. Another poster read the entire family grandad, mother and father all had to be sedated. They also had to address all the media. I don’t think it’s an option to hire a lawyer for things like this today, and I don’t think they were thinking as soon as it happened “we’re going to sue”. Not saying they won’t, but it’s not why they hired a lawyer that soon. I’m going to guess someone else in the family arranged it for them as well, as I said they were in no condition to start looking for lawyers in a place they’ve never been.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:43 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
I don't think the lawyer is doing them any favors publicity wise, although legally trying to blame the cruise lines might be a smart move. But I think the attempt to make the cruise line look bad is backfiring and swaying public opinion to consider it an attempt to deflect any responsibility from the grandfather and possibly also comes across as grasping and calculated.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:45 AM

8,497 posts, read 3,338,301 times
The family returned home on Thursday. Apparently there is a video in the cruise ship's possession that shows what happened. The attorney indicated he's trying to obtain a copy - and publicizing that he wants it but that the cruise line hasn't yet turned it over.

The San Juan police early on - presumably using information obtained from ship personnel - released statements that led the public to what may well be both erroneous and highly damning conclusions. Clearly, this family needs an advocate in dealing with Royal Caribbean. A lawsuit is an entirely different matter, and one that IMHO is not warranted.

The family will never recover from this but they have another child - and it might be a bit easier to go through life if they aren't being unfairly accused in the midst of this tragedy. So, yes, a lawyer is appropriate.

I agree that some of the attorney's early statements that appeared to be misleading were not helpful. No doubt the family in its grief does "blame" Royal Caribbean, albeit unfairly.

Edited to add: I went to get the link but then hit another publication. The first strongly implied there IS a video; this one says the family "hopes" to obtain surveillance video, which could mean a "hope" there IS a video and not mean hope to obtain a video known to exist. Reporters can be so imprecise when they write!

https://www.insideedition.com/family...-funeral-54394

Last edited by EveryLady; 07-14-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-14-2019, 11:42 AM

8,497 posts, read 3,338,301 times
In googling for the original article (about the video): there was this statement:

"Prosecutors are investigating the death and say they have not ruled anything out.

Sgt Jose D. Sanchez, acting head of the San Juan Police Department's Homicide Division, told DailyMail.com : "There are various possibilities. It could be a homicide.
"It could be a murder. It could be an accident. "We are currently in the very early stages of the investigation. "We haven't ruled out any possibility."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...ruise-17937174

Sure, the police should never rule out any possibility but I'm not sure its professional to publicly speculate like this about murder saying it "could be" not without some early but real indication. While that's always theoretically possible many readers would take that statement almost literally, thinking there's some evidence that suggests "it could be."

There IS a video that the PR authorities offered to show to the parents, who declined. Their attorney says he has not been able to obtain a copy.

Officers were unable to find a first-hand witness to her last moments last Sunday when they boarded the $800 million Royal Caribbean ship that can carry up to 4,500 passengers. However a source close to the investigation confirmed the entire incident was caught on camera. 'The video is key to this. It's very conclusive,' the source confirmed. 'It is now in the hands of the Justice Department who will make the decision on what to do.'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-Chicago.html

Old 07-14-2019, 11:43 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The grandfather, according to articles I read, had a defense attorney in PR he was dealing with. It seems the attorney who keeps speaking for them serves a different purpose.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:47 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,437,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The grandfather, according to articles I read, had a defense attorney in PR he was dealing with. It seems the attorney who keeps speaking for them serves a different purpose.
Well......that makes sense. Even if they are all on the same page now....i.e. not blaming the grandfather.....that could change. I would imagine that any competent attorney would advise them to have separate attorneys to avoid any conflict of interest between the parents and the grandfather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events