Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 11:36 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

Clara-I agree with what 3WIS is saying. Please refer to that.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:37 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So you think his statements about wanting to lift her up to allow her to tap on the glass were a complete lie?
I think he was completely honest. I also think he was completely reckless in making the decision to do so. A very poor decision unfortunately.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:43 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
So you think his statements about wanting to lift her up to allow her to tap on the glass were a complete lie?
I think he's an idiot for putting her on that railing, regardless of whatever excuse he made for doing so.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:44 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Clara-I agree with what 3WIS is saying. Please refer to that.
Ok, thank you for clarifying.

In that case, if the grandfather did know the window was open and yet rested her on the handrail, I agree he should be charged with a crime, and I might go straight to murder. Which was my attitude when I started this thread.

But the fact that she loved to slap on glass panes, and his immediate reference to that, to me, makes it clear what his intent was and what he perceived. It just rings true. That, and a normal man (there's no reason to believe he's not a normal guy) would not stand his beloved grandchild there dangling over the open window on purpose.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:48 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Ok, thank you for clarifying.

In that case, if the grandfather did know the window was open and yet rested her on the handrail, I agree he should be charged with a crime, and I might go straight to murder. Which was my attitude when I started this thread.

But the fact that she loved to slap on glass panes, and his immediate reference to that, to me, makes it clear what his intent was and what he perceived. It just rings true. That, and a normal man (there's no reason to believe he's not a normal guy) would not stand his beloved grandchild there dangling over the open window on purpose.
I don’t believe any reasonable adult would put a 1 year old baby on that railing. Period. I don’t care if it was a solid wall there.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:50 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don’t believe any reasonable adult would put a 1 year old baby on that railing. Period. I don’t care if it was a solid wall there.
Have you ever been in church, and parents stand a toddler on the pew back in front of them, while loosely holding them so the child can better see the service?

Old 10-30-2019, 11:52 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Just like people get in car accidents every day. Every one of them, one person's negligent actions caused harm to another. But unless the person was drinking, or driving recklessly, or texting, we don't charge them with crimes. If they didn't see the traffic light because of sun glare, or they didn't see that car coming as they were pulling out, we don't charge them, and I think that's the way it should be in this case too.
Actually, that is not true. A friend and her young child died in a car accident this past weekend. Her husband failed to yield the right of way at an unfamiliar stop sign. He is being charged in their deaths. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:55 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It is my belief that you can't miss that those windows are open. This isn't a hockey rink, it's a cruise ship. I used to work for cruise ships for a good chunk of years - when you're that high up, you KNOW when the windows are open.

Despite that, he still placed her on the railing. He didn't "let her go", he clearly didn't have a good hold on her. She could have leaned forward because she didn't know that there was no glass, she could have been squirming, whatever it was, he lost his grip.

The fact is, HE put her on that railing. At no time is it acceptable to place a child on a railing, whether you're holding them or not, because this very type of thing can happen. You don't hold them on the railing at a baseball stadium, you don't hold them on the railing of a balcony of a room, you don't hold them on a railing on a cruise ship, especially 11 stories high.

Did he "intend" to do it? Of course not. There are a lot of people in prison who didn't mean to kill someone, who have great remorse over what they did, but that doesn't mean you get a free out. A child is dead. It's not the child's fault that she is dead. It's not the cruise lines fault that she is dead. It is the fault of the person who put her on that railing.

Forget about the windows for a moment. Think about if he put her on that railing, lost his grip, and she fell backwards landing on her head. That's a big fall for a baby. Is that still the cruise lines fault? Of course it isn't. No matter how far she fell, it's the grandfather's fault for ever putting her up there in the first place.
I agree - an open cruise window is very noticeable. It was reported that he was not holding on to her at the time of her death. That is what makes this case particularly perplexing.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:10 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post

They were windows that slide open. They are contrasting color when open.
Thank you for the clarification, I did not know they were colored. I knew that they were a pane of sliding glass but didn’t know about the color

Old 10-30-2019, 12:29 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I agree - an open cruise window is very noticeable. It was reported that he was not holding on to her at the time of her death. That is what makes this case particularly perplexing.
What the actual .....heck?

He put her on a railing AND was not holding her? What. The. HELL?

Where did you see that, I want to read it. If that is the case, then he should definitely serve some time - how stupid can one be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events