Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 12:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So you think his statements about wanting to lift her up to allow her to tap on the glass were a complete lie?
People often create false narratives so that they don't have to think about the horrifying truth. I think this is what the grandfather did.

Who would want to think about the fact that they let go of their granddaughter while standing her on a railing in front of an open window 11 stories above a concrete pier? No one wants to think about that reality. Creating a false narrative that she just wanted to bang on the glass is much easier to deal with.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:33 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Have you ever been in church, and parents stand a toddler on the pew back in front of them, while loosely holding them so the child can better see the service?
I think those are very very different situations.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,621 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What the actual .....heck?

He put her on a railing AND was not holding her? What. The. HELL?

Where did you see that, I want to read it. If that is the case, then he should definitely serve some time - how stupid can one be?
See, this is what I'm saying, and why it seems to me he did NOT know the window was open, as hard as that is to believe.

As I understood the description, he was right behind her, had his hands on both sides of her, and allowed her to lean forward to slap the glass pane.

As difficult as it is to imagine he didn't know the window was open, it's more difficult to imagine an otherwise doting grandpa (which is certainly what he appeared to be) would allow his beloved granddaughter to fall out a window he knew to be open.

(Kind of reminds me of the Amber Guyger case, the dallas cop who shot a man in his own apartment. As hard as it is to believe, she apparently did not notice she wasn't in her own apartment.).

To think otherwise - that he KNEW the window was open and allowed her to fallout - is more difficult to believe than he somehow missed what is obvious to everyone - that the window was open.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:37 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What the actual .....heck?

He put her on a railing AND was not holding her? What. The. HELL?

Where did you see that, I want to read it. If that is the case, then he should definitely serve some time - how stupid can one be?
The attorney released that bit of information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HKpZGem1J4&app=desktop

Old 10-30-2019, 12:42 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
See, this is what I'm saying, and why it seems to me he did NOT know the window was open, as hard as that is to believe.

As I understood the description, he was right behind her, had his hands on both sides of her, and allowed her to lean forward to slap the glass pane.

As difficult as it is to imagine he didn't know the window was open, it's more difficult to imagine an otherwise doting grandpa (which is certainly what he appeared to be) would allow his beloved granddaughter to fall out a window he knew to be open.

(Kind of reminds me of the Amber Guyger case, the dallas cop who shot a man in his own apartment. As hard as it is to believe, she apparently did not notice she wasn't in her own apartment.).

To think otherwise - that he KNEW the window was open and allowed her to fallout - is more difficult to believe than he somehow missed what is obvious to everyone - that the window was open.
That does not excuse him putting her on the railing! I don't understand how people aren't getting this. You don't put a child on a railing. I don't care if there is a solid brick wall right in front of them, you. don't. put. a. child. on. a. railing.

And I'm going to say this again: When you're on a cruise ship, especially 11 stories high, you KNOW the windows are open. The fricken wind is in your face that high up. You can't miss that the windows are open. In addition, as has been pointed out, there are different colors indicating that a window is open. But, most importantly, you will feel the fricken wind on your face at 11 stories high on a cruise ship, even when docked.

Again, I used to work for 2 cruise lines. I know exactly what it feels like when a window is open that high on a ship. You can't miss it.

Was he drunk? Was he on something? There is no way he could have missed that it was open. No, I do not buy his story that she "wanted to smack the glass" like she did at a hockey rink. This isn't a fricken hockey rink. Her feet are not on the solid ground. He put her on a railing. Windows or not, that is dangerous to do that to a 1 year old child, and then not to even hold her? Now I'm even more convinced that he made it up that he thought it was closed and she wanted to tap on the glass.

I think he put her up there to be able to see out the window, and he's so stupid that he a) put her up there and b) didn't even hold her. He had his arms on both sides of her - what kind of an idiot thinks that's acceptable even if there were no windows there? As I said earlier, imagine if she fell backwards? Imagine if she fell between the wall and the railing? How stupid is this person? People are trying to make excuses for his sheer stupidity - there is no excuse for it. Windows or not, putting her on a railing and not even holding her was a recipe for an accident, and a baby falling backwards onto their heads, or falling face first between a wall and a railing, or even a closed window and railing is going to injure that child. It could even kill her just with that type of fall - she was a year old.

There is no excuse for what this idiot did.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
The truth can often be difficult to understand, that doesn't change anything though. The windows are tinted so that you can clearly see when one is open. They were up 11 stories, so there would have also been a breeze coming in through the OPEN window.

Even if he was somehow that oblivious to the fact that the window was open, then how is that not negligence? It was still his fault for not paying any attention to the surrounding area. Who just puts a little child upon a railing in front of a window without making sure the window is closed? Who would let go of a little child while standing on the railing? Even if the window was closed, the railing wasn't wide enough for her to stand on, and she could have fallen backward, or forward through the gap between the railing and window. At her age, falling from that height onto a hard wooden deck could have resulted in brain damage, a broken neck, or a number of other serious injuries that could have caused her death.

The child was 1 year old. She doesn't know anything about the dangers around her. She was dependent on her caregiver, her grandfather, to keep her safe. The only reason she is dead is because of his actions.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:43 PM

731 posts, read 767,780 times
This is obviously a very horrible accident. I think this is a case of an over zealous grandfather that lets his grand daughter do whatever she wants whether it's safe or not. I see people do many stupid things with kids. Think of putting a kid on a fence at a zoo so that the little darling can see better. I also think that his eyesight should be tested. I notice he wears very thick glasses.

I believe the problem here is that he is not taking responsibility for his actions. Instead he is blaming the cruise line for his mistake. If he took responsibility I wonder if he would still be charged, but it's too late for that now.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:46 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Quote:
So you think his statements about wanting to lift her up to allow her to tap on the glass were a complete lie?
This is one of the lines that tested my trust in what was being communicated by the lawyer/spokesperson after the incident. The other was this was in a childs "play area", which it clearly wasn't.

Who in their right mind would encourage a toddler to bang on any glass they had in front of them? Sure, she's been to her brothers hockey game and allegedly did it there, but that safety barrier around an arena- not a window and certainly not perched on a 4 foot railing 11 stories above ground.

I've spent years working commercial vessels, your that high up you feel the breeze coming through.

Weather information for July in San Juan PR- Average high temp 88 degrees, low 78 degrees. The average hourly wind speed in San Juan is essentially constant during July, remaining within 0.2 miles per hour of 12.4 miles per hour throughout. Hence the window being open and would be clearly noticed.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:47 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
window. courtesy cbs news

Another view (RC blog)

Old 10-30-2019, 12:48 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

If it was truly an accident, yes. Humans make mistakes.
The point is it was an accident that could have been avoided. The WHOLE point is that he should have known better.

A child died because the grandfather didn't exercise proper care. That's his MAIN job as an adult caregiver, and he failed. It's not just pure accident with NO FAULT.

Like it or not, there are laws that apply to this exact situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events