Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2019, 11:07 AM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times

Advertisements

He was extremely negligent and I disagree.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:31 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This entire story is just so heartbreaking. I feel so badly for this grandfather who felt responsible for the death of his grand daughter, now he is facing murder charges over something that was clearly a tragic accident? What more must this man endure?
He's not facing murder charges.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:47 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
This entire story is just so heartbreaking. I feel so badly for this grandfather who felt responsible for the death of his grand daughter, now he is facing murder charges over something that was clearly a tragic accident? What more must this man endure?
There are no murder charges. But there is a case to be made for negligence.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:18 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,122,240 times
Quote:
Heartbreaking. Yes.

Negligent behavior contributed to the death of this baby.

The family says Royal Caribbean is responsible for the death.

Prosecutors say GrandPa is responsible for the death.

Let's see what the jury says.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:17 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasth View Post
In people magazine, the lawyer claims the the video exonerates the grandfather. He apparently showed them 2 clips one of her being propped up by her feet then on her bottom before she fell out.

I think the grandfather put her up there for a better view and Chloe believing there was glass lounged forward and fell out because the grandfather was not holding her properly. It made no sense for him to lift her to bang on the glass as he claimed when she could have did so from the ground.

Regardless he should never have put her on the railing because as mentioned before she could have fallen to the ground inside the ship and got injured. The lawyer claiming that the window was not designed to prevent kids from falling out when it was out of reach and behind a railing makes no sense.

The lawyer stated the lawsuit will be filed in 2 weeks. Companies usually settle, but I really hope Royal Caribbean does not. Since it appears he did not dangle her out the window as initially reported I do not agree with charging him. However, he made a mistake and I think the family needs to accept that and stop trying to lay blame elsewhere.

https://people.com/crime/toddler-cru...r-says-lawyer/
This is a good point, and I haven't gone that many pages back so idk if this was addressed yet but the DailyMail was given access to the video by the family's lawyer and an author of an article about it described what grandpa did as "lifting Chloe up to give her a better view before he places her on a metal railing, still holding her with two hands as the pair lean forward to get a better view." This person actually saw the video and claims they both leaned forward, which would suggest both that he knew the window was open (imo; picked the open one so they could kind of lean forward and have a less obstructed view), and that he lifted her to show her the view, not to let her bang on the glass.

article

No one else has had public access to the video afaik so for now, I do have to say, I trust this third-party viewer of the video's opinion (even though it's the DM) more than any biased family member or representative who is looking to paint the family/incident in a good, better light. If the video is ever released and/or if anyone else views and comments on it and their comments differ, then maybe I will be more convinced of the family's/lawyer's version of the story.

It sounds stupid to lift a toddler to a railing and place her on it in front of an open window 11 stories up to let her look out an open window; it sounds way better that it was a total honest mistake and he didn't even realize it was open and that he wanted to let her bang on the glass, something she apparently liked to do. This is why the lawyer/family is going with the "didn't know it was open, wanted her to bang on the glass" story, which I personally have both found was also stupid AND less likely since early on.

Harsh as it may sound, the allegation that RC is at fault is imo total BS, like annoyingly so. As I've said before in this thread, I think the fact that no similar accident has ever occurred on this ship (and afaik any other?) says a lot - this was a dumb mistake; the windows aren't an actual danger. Babies aren't and can't be falling out of them left and right, it's not a dangerous situation or area. It's adult stupidity or worse - criminal action - that would cause an adult or child to fall out that kind of window. RC or any other cruise line can't wrap everyone in bubble wrap and make the cruise ship 100% safe from all types of stupidity. They'd have to do things like entirely enclose a ship, that is meant to enjoy the breeze and nice views, with no ability to open windows or have balconies, in order for that to happen. Defeats the whole purpose of cruising. I also hope, if their suit goes forward, that the cruise line will fight this and won't settle. Unlikely, I think, but it's what I hope for.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:41 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Quote:
The grandfather felt understandably horribly about the death but the family stance is he is not responsible, Royal Caribbean and the vessel are.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:59 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
The "bang on the glass" story has just never made any sense.

In the photos I've seen, the glass goes all the way to the floor, so no reason to lift her up on a railing so she could bang on the glass.

And who lets a kid bang on a glass window anyway? That in itself is stupid as .... Do they let her bang on the windows at home?

Old 11-23-2019, 07:55 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
RC or any other cruise line can't wrap everyone in bubble wrap and make the cruise ship 100% safe from all types of stupidity. They'd have to do things like entirely enclose a ship, that is meant to enjoy the breeze and nice views, with no ability to open windows or have balconies...
"Your honor, we will prove that by blocking the escape routes out to the open, the operators of the cruise ship MV Piffleball thoughtlessly - nay, callously - kept the passengers from escaping when the ship caught fire/hit an iceberg/encountered the Kraken."

Ships are ships. They're carefully made to not sink, not catch fire, not lose power in an unfortunate moment, to be safe to operate in all conditions. Modern ships do that amazingly well. But ships are not Disney parks and never will be.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:58 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The "bang on the glass" story has just never made any sense.

In the photos I've seen, the glass goes all the way to the floor, so no reason to lift her up on a railing so she could bang on the glass.

And who lets a kid bang on a glass window anyway? That in itself is stupid as .... Do they let her bang on the windows at home?
The defense is bad, but the lawyer is going with what he has to work with.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:58 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
My bad, I thought the story I read said he was being charged with murder. But this story still really bothers me and I do not feel like debating with posters who believe he is guilty of negligence and should suffer yet more punishment when this was nothing more than a tragic accident, that would just make me angry. So I'm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events