Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 02:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
For me the issue is not whether the garment is modest or not, it is that anyone sitting next to her will almost unavoidably come in contact with her bare skin, perhaps more intimacy than is desired. A layer of fabric may not be much but it provides a psychological barrier.
A majority of people traveling from one hot location to another are not going to be wearing long sleeves and pants though. Those planes can also get hot and stuffy. I would not wanting to be sitting there sweating for 3+ hours. If you're worried about coming in contact with someone else's skin, maybe it's best that you book a whole row instead of trying to claim everyone should be hot and miserable on the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 03:43 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
A majority of people traveling from one hot location to another are not going to be wearing long sleeves and pants though. Those planes can also get hot and stuffy. I would not wanting to be sitting there sweating for 3+ hours. If you're worried about coming in contact with someone else's skin, maybe it's best that you book a whole row instead of trying to claim everyone should be hot and miserable on the plane.
If you are sweaty, perhaps that is even more reason to cover your arms and shoulders. In my experience, airplanes are more often cold than hot.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:26 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That mans nipples are out. Are you claiming Dr. Rowe was similarly topless? And then you go further and describe something that isn’t even in that mans picture. You complain about apples and oranges and then spot something far more revealing than what the doctor was wearing.

Let’s get specific. Dr. Rowe’s top is bare shoulders and arms, the exact same way most brides dress these days. No nipples showing, very little cleavage a straight across neckline and so on.

Her shorts cover her entire buttock in the back, no “cheeks” hanging out the back. Her shorts in the front have -4” of inseam. Her entire midriff is covered. All you can see are arms, shoulders and legs.

This is a similar romper on another woman. We all know she wouldn’t be removed from the plane. https://images.app.goo.gl/wLmEkxghUuaX9QcK6
Her bare shoulders, and legs would have been touching the airline seat. Many people don't like to see that. I think she had about the legal minimum amount of clothes for a female in most public places, in most countries. The only thing I can think she could have worn that would be more revealing would have been a bikini. I don't think it was enough for an airline flight, and I don't think it was appropriate for a trip to Jamaica.

She reminds me of several men I watch who have travel channels on YouTube. They arrive at a tropical destination, and say, "Wow, it sure is hot here", and then proceed to rip their shirts off, and walk around shirtless in shopping and food areas, where every single other person has their shirts on. That is just rude. When traveling you have to respect local customs, or you are going to **** people off, and just give Americans a bad name. Which is what I think she did.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:44 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It sounds like you have never traveled to many hot locations. Planes are not hot and stuffy, unless they are malfunctioning. The majority of travelers do wear long pants, at least to their knees. Nobody would be expecting her to wear long sleeves. But most would expect at least her shoulders to be covered.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Sure, when she took the selfie and had time to adjust everything. We don't know where that clingy fabric was when it issue arose. My guess is that there had been some traveling.
Key word there “my guess”. The evidence that she was issued an apology, a refund, and a promise that airline employees would be retrained is all evidence that she was not the one out of line.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I disagree. She might be asked if she has a wrap, too.

For me the issue is not whether the garment is modest or not, it is that anyone sitting next to her will almost unavoidably come in contact with her bare skin, perhaps more intimacy than is desired. A layer of fabric may not be much but it provides a psychological barrier.

I wear slacks and long sleeves (shirt or a sweater) when I travel.
Good for you. Many, many people travel to tropical areas like from the Bahamas to Miami in proper attire for the area. Shorts and bare arms are the norm when traveling to and from the tropics and such would not be “inappropriate” at all.

Btw, it wasn’t an issue with her seat or seat mate. She was only sitting next to her own son. Nice try though. The employee initially tried to make her wear a blanket just to get to her seat, they didn’t care what happened once she got there.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Her bare shoulders, and legs would have been touching the airline seat. Many people don't like to see that. I think she had about the legal minimum amount of clothes for a female in most public places, in most countries. The only thing I can think she could have worn that would be more revealing would have been a bikini. I don't think it was enough for an airline flight, and I don't think it was appropriate for a trip to Jamaica.

She reminds me of several men I watch who have travel channels on YouTube. They arrive at a tropical destination, and say, "Wow, it sure is hot here", and then proceed to rip their shirts off, and walk around shirtless in shopping and food areas, where every single other person has their shirts on. That is just rude. When traveling you have to respect local customs, or you are going to **** people off, and just give Americans a bad name. Which is what I think she did.
Except that not only has the airline apologized, issues an refund and all the normal crap it has also promised to retrain its employees because they were wrong.

And who are you to determine whose skin should or should not touch a seat? Tank tops allow shoulders and arms to touch seats, yet they are allowed. Even short sleeve shirts and shorts are allowed on planes. Stop pretending she was wearing something many, many people wear on planes all the time without being made to wear a blanket.

Btw, having been to Miami many, many times (which is where she was going btw) a strapless romper is complete normal clothing for the area.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you have never traveled to many hot locations. Planes are not hot and stuffy, unless they are malfunctioning. The majority of travelers do wear long pants, at least to their knees. Nobody would be expecting her to wear long sleeves. But most would expect at least her shoulders to be covered.
Why do you think your desire to avoid seeing someone’s shoulder supersedes their right to personal liberty and body autonomy. Even the airline apologized and admitted their employees were wrong.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:56 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Key word there “my guess”. The evidence that she was issued an apology, a refund, and a promise that airline employees would be retrained is all evidence that she was not the one out of line.
Nope. damage control to appease her as to not be called the "R" word, as well as to satisfy the Court of Social Media

Old 07-20-2019, 05:48 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Why are you comparing her to a topless man? She was not topless. She was fully clothed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events