Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 04:30 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times

Advertisements

Horrible. RIP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 06:16 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
My husband and I took the Ketchikan Duck Boat tour years ago. We had a lot of fun, but after this tragedy, we'll never do it again, if in fact, these tours are even offered.

Edit: just looked, and the Ketchikan Duck Tour is still offered.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:07 AM

307 posts, read 213,847 times
What a horrible tragedy!! Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't have taken my family out on the water in those conditions.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:46 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle2 View Post
What a horrible tragedy!! Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't have taken my family out on the water in those conditions.
IIRC, it was a sudden squall. You can't see those arrive with the naked eye - it can be pleasant on shore, and 10 minutes later the front hits the lake. But you can follow them with weather radar and the advisory had been issued.

If you sail with passengers, there's a level of care you have to provide - not just as a civil matter, but with actual criminal penalties for failing to do so. Part of that is to assess weather and sea conditions vs. your craft's seaworthiness.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:10 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
If this is a true "duck boat", a navy surplus DUKW, or a modern reproduction of one, keep in mind it was designed to transport soldiers and their gear to a landing. It was not designed to be a risk-free transport for tourists. It was designed to be cheap to build in mass quantities fast and to be easy for those with little training to operate. Safety was not a prime consideration. If you land 100,000 soldiers on a beach and 200 of them get drowned due to the landing craft getting swamped, that's tolerable in war. I also rather doubt they had awnings to keep the sun off; that's what the steel helmets were for.

It's like people who take a Jeep, a tall tippy truck designed to travel over rough terrain at less than 40 mph, and drive it on the highway like it's a sports car, and roll it over at 70.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:25 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
IIRC, it was a sudden squall. You can't see those arrive with the naked eye - it can be pleasant on shore, and 10 minutes later the front hits the lake. But you can follow them with weather radar and the advisory had been issued.

If you sail with passengers, there's a level of care you have to provide - not just as a civil matter, but with actual criminal penalties for failing to do so. Part of that is to assess weather and sea conditions vs. your craft's seaworthiness.

The weather coming in was known that day. They thought they could beat it I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If this is a true "duck boat", a navy surplus DUKW, or a modern reproduction of one, keep in mind it was designed to transport soldiers and their gear to a landing. It was not designed to be a risk-free transport for tourists. It was designed to be cheap to build in mass quantities fast and to be easy for those with little training to operate. Safety was not a prime consideration. If you land 100,000 soldiers on a beach and 200 of them get drowned due to the landing craft getting swamped, that's tolerable in war. I also rather doubt they had awnings to keep the sun off; that's what the steel helmets were for.

It's like people who take a Jeep, a tall tippy truck designed to travel over rough terrain at less than 40 mph, and drive it on the highway like it's a sports car, and roll it over at 70.

Yes, it's the same duck boats. They added the awning to keep sun off of people.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:33 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
My husband and I took the Ketchikan Duck Boat tour years ago. We had a lot of fun, but after this tragedy, we'll never do it again, if in fact, these tours are even offered.

I'm guessing they've had the canopies modified somehow for easier escape. They'd have been fine if there wasn't a storm.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:34 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

It wasn't a sudden squall, from what I remember there was debate about whether to take the boat out because they were expecting bad weather. At least from what I recall.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:36 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The weather coming in was known that day. They thought they could beat it I guess.
I wasn't clear - I was addressing the hypothetical passenger on shore, not the operators.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:47 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

I went on a D.C. duck boat about a month after this event. The D.C. duck tour however only goes out on the Potomac and you're at most maybe 300-400 yards off the shore. I'm not super concerned about it on a river in good weather. But I wouldn't go on any kind of boat tour if thunderstorms were in the forecast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events