Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 11:07 AM

14,411 posts, read 11,848,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
And yes, I heard she survived by finding a spring with clean water. But this doesn't sound like an area where someone is going to hang out waiting to attack a woman and then disappear into the wilderness.
Our local source (Orange County Register, same county as this couple lived in) said she drank from a stagnant pool. I would go with that as the truth. There are no springs in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 11:12 AM

102,311 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
What I don’t understand is; if she was frightened by someone with a knife why would she NOT run towards where the vehicle and husband are? Instead she apparently ran in some other direction “away” from the only help that she should have known was there.
Hello? Because the bad guy was in-between her and her husband, most likely. In that case, she'd have had to run toward him, to run towards the husband.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,815 posts, read 58,377,245 times
1) If pursued... Get away
2) Find your way home (when safe / able)

I can only guess...
a) True story (where is this 'guy'?)
b) Short spat about where to camp and left in a huff, but 'escape' got out of hand...
c) Dementia / personal issues leading to strange behavior.

Any is possible. (How / why to keep the dog quiet...(?))

Glad the family is re-united.
Hope they heal this thing up.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hello? Because the bad guy was in-between her and her husband, most likely. In that case, she'd have had to run toward him, to run towards the husband.
It sounds like a judgment call. The bad guy approached her because she was alone. If she had immediately started yelling for her husband and running toward where she'd last seen him, even if he weren't back yet, it may very well have scared the bad guy off. Doubtful if he would have wanted to run into the husband or anyone else. But her running into an area where he knew they would be the only two people for miles around may only have encouraged him to pursue. No way to know for sure and it's not like she had a lot of time to ponder the options.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It sounds like a judgment call. The bad guy approached her because she was alone. If she had immediately started yelling for her husband and running toward where she'd last seen him, even if he weren't back yet, it may very well have scared the bad guy off. Doubtful if he would have wanted to run into the husband or anyone else. But her running into an area where he knew they would be the only two people for miles around may only have encouraged him to pursue. No way to know for sure and it's not like she had a lot of time to ponder the options.
Someone raised the point a few pages back, that at the very least, since she could hear her hubby calling her, she could have issued a blood-curdling scream, to let him know she was in danger.

I guess it's easy to sit back in the comfort of our chairs, and throw out a lot of "shoulda-coulda's". All I know is, that after these stories (including the related one from Tuolomne County, where a 35-year-old from Watsonville attacked a woman in her tent with her husband right there, at 2 a.m. at a campground), I'm not going to be going camping anywhere, anytime soon, that isn't in my own or a friend's back yard or vacation property.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:37 AM

OK, here's an update from the family's appearance on "Good Morning, America", earlier today. More details are given, including: why she didn't run toward her husband, and why she didn't scream. The guy said he'd use his knife on her, if she yelled, so she had to pretend to cooperate with him, until there was an opportunity for her to run away.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/california...ry?id=64359787
Quote:
He had been observing me and it was scary," she told ABC News. "If we made noise, if we yelled out, he was going to use [the knife] on us."

Powell said she tried to be compliant until she had a chance to flee.

"I took off with my dog and we just ran in a different direction than I knew my husband was, because the guy was between me and my husband, so I went the other way," she said. "I did what I had to."

Old 07-16-2019, 11:52 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,609,825 times
[quote=ClaraC;55680660]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post

This is her son's explanation as to why she didn't respond. This story is just . . .

https://www.facebook.com/gpowellhb?_..._h5h_-ZgkgLGxk

Many of us do not 'do Facebook' how 'bout cut 'n paste ? thx

Old 07-16-2019, 11:52 AM

19,106 posts, read 14,093,573 times
This thread is a great example of what happens in the age of the internet when a bunch of “I deserve to know everything people” get together.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-16-2019, 11:57 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,176,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This thread is a great example of what happens in the age of the internet when a bunch of “I deserve to know everything people” get together.
You forgot the smiley face at the end of this post.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Oh, come on. We are enjoying our speculations and not hurting anybody. If you can't talk about stories like this, what can you talk about? It's the worst when someone comes along on a thread like this that is going just fine, and tries to shut everyone else up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events