Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 12:35 AM

13 posts, read 8,313 times

Advertisements

Well, I hope that all of the money is returned and that the woman is not facing any criminal charges. This however, could have been dealt with a lot better by the family. There was no honest reason for the family to go on the talk shows and convey (what seems like) a bogus story. They could have just grabbed her and said c'mon... lets go home mom. They did not!

Here are 6 times people have been arrested over GoFundMe ...
https://www.nj.com/news/2018/09/crow...e_homeles.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 03:39 AM

23,917 posts, read 33,745,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtN View Post
They don't arrest people on vague suspicion however, if they really wanted to do their jobs they could easily separate all four family members - play good cop bad cop; find the weakest link (probably the mother) and state to her that her son/ daughter / husband already confessed. She would fold like a two dollar bill.

They do it all the time.

This is a serious matter. Not just falsely reporting a crime but also involves conspiracy to commit wire fraud - with the whole GoFundMe nonsense.

Many people and entities are affected. Do you really think that the family that was planning a two week vacation to this site is going to actually end up going there? Many people, much of the media, etc. have been affected.

If it is made up.... its a serious matter IMO
Quote:
Or better yet... "oh no, mother has gone completely 'round the bend"... let's see if we can profit financially from it!

There is a HUGE difference!
They didn't profit from it. The go fund me was almost all refunded last I looked before it went offline.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:09 AM

14,406 posts, read 11,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Picking a prickly pear cactus fruit with your bare hands and eating it like an apple.
Go right ahead and try it!

Prickly pear fruit is not ripe here and not there either as far as I know, and what about her report of "smashing a cactus and seeing the fruit inside"? When I read that, it was the first indication I had that she was actually crazy/delusional/delirious or else just making it all up as she went along, because that bears no resemblance to reality.

Quote:
Many people and entities are affected. Do you really think that the family that was planning a two week vacation to this site is going to actually end up going there? IMO
This is a non-issue. It's not that kind of "vacation site." Honestly, no one cares if fewer people end up going to that campground.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:29 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,316,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Why would they want to do this? As it is, they have a "feel good" story, the woman and the little dog are safe.

I completely doubt the story about the knife guy, but LE is not served by separating the family and making them all tell their stories. They can't prove anything. I don't think, for a moment, this was an orchestrated fraud.

I believe fully the two adult children believed their mother was missing and they, in good faith, started a gofundme for a helicopter, and all the money from that fundraiser was refunded.

Unless you can prove this was purposeful fraud - which I don't believe - I believe this is basically a crazy woman who has a loving family - law enforcement is not served by aggressively prosecuting this.

What Law Enforcement has NOT done speaks volumes. There is no sketch of the perp, and no apparent investigation to find the knife guy.

It seems to me this is a case of "oh no, mother has gone completely 'round the bend".
I agree with this, possible that without food or adequate water can cause some kind of false memory, I’m not a doctor just guessing. I grew up close to H.B. and according to the Facebook, they are well liked and considered solid. She may have panicked.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:55 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,476,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Go right ahead and try it!

Prickly pear fruit is not ripe here and not there either as far as I know, and what about her report of "smashing a cactus and seeing the fruit inside"? When I read that, it was the first indication I had that she was actually crazy/delusional/delirious or else just making it all up as she went along, because that bears no resemblance to reality.

This is a non-issue. It's not that kind of "vacation site." Honestly, no one cares if fewer people end up going to that campground.
Well you are actually saying you don't know if there are any ripe ones where she was at this time of year.

I read things saying they can ripen from May to Sept depending on the cultivar.

Maybe it was semi-ripe; maybe she found only one ripe(explaining what I wondered about why just eat one and not more); maybe she was in some type of micro-climate area part of the time where they ripen differently.

As to how she described it, that doesn't raise red flags to me having seen how people eat them. Add to that, she doesn't seem to be the most clear communicator on the planet. Whether that's her normal manner or due to being off from her experience I don't know.

Maybe she meant she smashed the cactus fruit and saw the fruit inside referring to the pulp and seeds. Perhaps she used her shirt to grab the fruit and thats why it appears to be stained in the hospital.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:25 AM

14,406 posts, read 11,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Well you are actually saying you don't know if there are any ripe ones where she was at this time of year.
I don't. But I can say this: I am in a somewhat similar climate but much lower elevation (~1000 feet) than she was (~8000 feet). It gets below freezing up there in the winter, and we had a cold winter and late spring in California. Elevation makes a big difference. Maybe the prickly pear fruit is ripe in May in Death Valley, but it would be quite astonishing to find ripe fruit at 8000 feet this early in the season when our cactus is still just flowering down here. Just saying.

I certainly would not blame someone for trying to eat any cactus (pads, unripe fruit, or whatever) in a survival situation. But for her to come back and say she survived because she ate cactus fruit has got to be an exaggeration, in my opinion.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:58 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,476,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't. But I can say this: I am in a somewhat similar climate but much lower elevation (~1000 feet) than she was (~8000 feet). It gets below freezing up there in the winter, and we had a cold winter and late spring in California. Elevation makes a big difference. Maybe the prickly pear fruit is ripe in May in Death Valley, but it would be quite astonishing to find ripe fruit at 8000 feet this early in the season when our cactus is still just flowering down here. Just saying.

I certainly would not blame someone for trying to eat any cactus (pads, unripe fruit, or whatever) in a survival situation. But for her to come back and say she survived because she ate cactus fruit has got to be an exaggeration, in my opinion.
Oh I agree she didn't survive because she ate one cactus fruit, but I also haven't seen her say that. The only person I heard say that was the Inside Edition reporter as HE described how she went into "survival" mode.

She wasn't imo even in danger of not surviving without food at the 3 day mark.

But, just for an example of unclear communication, the reporter also said she "ate a cactus" lol.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:29 AM

1,938 posts, read 2,172,188 times
I wonder if she meant that she smashed a cactus pad with a rock and the fruit she saw was just the pulp inside the pad? Is there pulp to eat in there?

Old 07-23-2019, 11:32 AM

22,150 posts, read 13,193,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I wonder if she meant that she smashed a cactus pad with a rock and the fruit she saw was just the pulp inside the pad? Is there pulp to eat in there?

...or she's lying...

Old 07-23-2019, 11:33 AM

22,150 posts, read 13,193,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
They didn't profit from it. The go fund me was almost all refunded last I looked before it went offline.
Wait for the paid interviews/book and movie deals in 3, 2, 1...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events