Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 12:12 PM

14,409 posts, read 11,848,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I wonder if she meant that she smashed a cactus pad with a rock and the fruit she saw was just the pulp inside the pad? Is there pulp to eat in there?
The pads are edible, if you de-spine them (not that easy, no matter how many youtube videos show someone removing spines with a rock), and cut off the tough parts with a knife, then cook them. They're commonly eaten in Mexican cuisine. But if you smashed one with a rock you would just have a thin, tough, spiny, smashed cactus pad.

Quote:
Remove the spines from the pad by using a vegetable peeler or a paring knife. Don't take off the gloves until the pads are completely rinsed and the peeled remnants are cleared. The pads not only have large spines, but there are also tiny, invisible and far more irritating spines called glochids that are extremely difficult to remove from the skin. The spines and glochids can also be removed from the prickly pear pads by burning them off with a small torch or by placing the pad on a gas burner and turning it with tongs.
https://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 12:39 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,172,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
...or she's lying...

Well yes. I was just trying to think of a way she could have been unclear about what she did to survive by cactus. The reporting hasn't been stellar. Sometimes fact is stranger than fiction. Certainly it appears to be strange indeed in this case.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:48 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,182,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The pads are edible, if you de-spine them (not that easy, no matter how many youtube videos show someone removing spines with a rock), and cut off the tough parts with a knife, then cook them. They're commonly eaten in Mexican cuisine. But if you smashed one with a rock you would just have a thin, tough, spiny, smashed cactus pad.

https://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus
seems like a lot of work...how big did we say the dog was?

Old 07-23-2019, 01:16 PM

12,063 posts, read 10,328,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
seems like a lot of work...how big did we say the dog was?
It is a lot of work, but people around here (south texas) love them.

There are sold in jars now, so no need to do the actual cutting and trimming.

I would never eat them at home cuz i was finicky. I tried them a couple of years ago. They grilled a steak and topped them with the nopales. OMG - so good.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:18 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,439,040 times
They used to have prickly pear yogurt around here. It was good. Whether or not it was just artificial flavoring is open to question.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:39 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,639,661 times
I am pretty boggled the way so many of you are "blaming the victim".

In such an unpopulated area I bet the sheriff has a pretty good idea who the perp is. So he hasn't been dragged before the press? A few ideas:

He is in the federal witness protection (least likely).

He is an informant in an upcoming drug bust - they don't want to lose a prime witness.

He pleads insanity and has a good lawyer and/or is connected to someone powerful.

LE needs time to bolster the case.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:50 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,736,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

In such an unpopulated area I bet the sheriff has a pretty good idea who the perp is. So he hasn't been dragged before the press? A few ideas:

He is an informant in an upcoming drug bust - they don't want to lose a prime witness.

He pleads insanity and has a good lawyer and/or is connected to someone powerful.

Of course.

His 'new federal identity' is a homeless guy high on a the flanks of an uninhabited mountain, surviving by dumpster-diving at a campground. Probably Sammy the Bull, right? Makes total sense.

Wait, no -- he's the key to the whole Inyo National Forest meth scene! (so that's where Jesse Pinkman went!)

Or he's a guy who hangs out in the wilderness, but has lots of powerful friends in the legal community (and... the sheriff of a county with fewer than 20,000 people would know this how, precisely?).

I'm surprised you didn't suggest that the supposed perp is a sasquatch. That would only be slightly less silly than your other three ideas.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:54 PM

4,418 posts, read 3,499,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

You can’t blame the victim if you don’t believe there IS a victim.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:59 AM

13 posts, read 8,313 times
Great comment Wasel! It baffles me how naive people are.

Just some further points:

a) There is no “suspect” because the story was fabricated.

b) If this is such a “solid” family, why would they be willing to be co-conspirators towards a lie. Was I brought up wrong or is not one of the prerequisites to being a well - grounded, moral family, is the willingness to be honest in their affairs and consider the end results of their actions.

c) If their mom was actually “crazy” and prone to delusional stories and behavior, why would the family agree to be enablers to any mistruths that she may come up with? Why would they agree to sit before the media and basically become confederates to her story?

d) I don’t even want to think about C! LOL

e) If the story was known to be a fabrication, how could this “solid” family not take into account how damaging it is to spread fear and panic within the community.

f) Some people on this site ask what financial harm has been done if the family has returned almost all of the donations? Almost all? How kind of them to decide only on stealing part of the money!

g) How is this possibly still a “feel good story” when its genesis is based on a lie!

h) Doesn’t the Sherriff’s Department have a responsibility to announce whether the story itself is, in fact, true or false?

i) Never, ever underestimate how f*cked up and narcistic a family can actually be, despite their outward appearance.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:01 AM

13 posts, read 8,313 times
Great comment Wasel! It baffles me how naive people are.

Just some further points:

a) There is no “suspect” because the story was fabricated.

b) If this is such a “solid” family, why would they be willing to be co-conspirators towards a lie. Was I brought up wrong or is not one of the prerequisites to being a well - grounded, moral family, is the willingness to be honest in their affairs and consider the end results of their actions.

c) If their mom was actually “crazy” and prone to delusional stories and behavior, why would the family agree to be enablers to any mistruths that she may come up with? Why would they agree to sit before the media and basically become confederates to her story?

d) I don’t even want to think about D! LOL

e) If the story was known to be a fabrication, how could this “solid” family not take into account how damaging it is to spread fear and panic within the community.

f) Some people on this site ask what financial harm has been done if the family has returned almost all of the donations? Almost all? How kind of them to decide only on stealing part of the money!

g) How is this possibly still a “feel good story” when its genesis is based on a lie!

h) Doesn’t the Sherriff’s Department have a responsibility to announce whether the story itself is, in fact, true or false?

i) Never, ever underestimate how f*cked up and narcistic a family can actually be, despite their outward appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events