Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 02:45 AM

165 posts, read 115,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I didn't see anything about the man being unable to swim. He had already rescued one child, and maybe was already exhausted by the time he went for the second. I don't see where the criticism of letting his kids near the water is coming from either. There are definitely risks but millions of people go to the beach every year without incident. The thing about the ocean is things sometimes happen fast. One second the water is okay and the next a wave comes and knocks a kid off a jetty. This dad did what dads do: he went after his kids. It's a tragic story enough as it is. There's really no need to make judgmental "armchair" QB type comments about how the man shouldn't have been supervising kids that close to the water.
Thank you for saying this. I’m astounded at the first thing out of many folks mouths is “he should’ve,” without even being there to see exactly what happened or knowing anything about the father except that he drowned while trying to save his child.

As others have stated the ocean can become extremely dangerous even for the most experienced swimmers. It would be nice to see less judgement and more sympathy as this was truly a tragedy for this family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 06:33 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Flames View Post
Thank you for saying this. I’m astounded at the first thing out of many folks mouths is “he should’ve,” without even being there to see exactly what happened or knowing anything about the father except that he drowned while trying to save his child.

As others have stated the ocean can become extremely dangerous even for the most experienced swimmers. It would be nice to see less judgement and more sympathy as this was truly a tragedy for this family.

All the "he should'ves" probably flew out the door for him when he saw his children in distress. It's one thing to be an armchair critic after the fact, it's another to be in that situation, see your child dying and say you wouldn't have reacted on emotion and paternal instinct. I bet most fathers would have done the same thing. It's sad although I later read that both children lived, someone was able to save the second child. So at least he was successful in what he wanted to do: Save his kids.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:34 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Flames View Post

The children walked out on a jetty made of big boulders
and that is not allowed . The waves come in very big and powerful
across this jetty and must be how the children were swept off the jetty.

There is a sign to not go out there but even without a sign
it is clear to see that no one should go out there so
yes I do understand that some people are critical of the family
not keeping and eye on their seven children.

I do feel for them and understand their pain but this jetty is
not a place to let your children play.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:08 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Dad dies trying to save kids swept away by wave at North Carolina beach: Police

Sad and tragic, yet noble.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:19 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Are parents getting more lenient with their kids, or less "parental" (not saying "No", or "Get away from that water/get back over here") or just more "ignant" of situations? Why are these kids that need rescuing so close to the water, or in the water at all, let alone when the weather/wind/waves kicks up? Bodies of water are nothing to mess with...........

My sympathies to the families who have lost a father and loved one in this situation.
People sometimes just do thoughtless things. I was taking pics over at Great Falls on the Virginia side some years ago. Several people/year die there on average. The rocks get slippery from the mist and people ignore warnings. I saw a guy walk out onto this rock plateau with his daughter. She looked like she had just come from church, pink dress, shiny black shoes and she walks right over to the edge of the rock platform. There’s a narrow channel of relatively smooth water rushing through just inches from her. It doesn’t look threatening but it will literally take your shoe off your foot if you stick it in, if it doesn’t just drag you in bodily. I was getting ready to walk over and verbally ream the guy when they both turned around and headed back. I would liked to have smacked him across the face. She could have been just gone in half a second.

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.or...u-will-die5897

Last edited by LesLucid; 07-19-2019 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-19-2019, 07:42 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Aren't there usually signs warning people to stay off the jetties for just this reason? Were there any here? Anyone know?

Old 07-19-2019, 07:49 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I don't think a lot of people realize how dangerous it is to be on or near a jetty in the ocean. Kid's especially.The beaches I go to have signs, flags, and if they are guarded, lifeguards will make sure no one is on or within 50 or so feet of a jetty.

T
I live in a beach town on the east coast. The jetty is not off limits, people routinely walk on them, life guards don’t wave people away, there is no signage and so on. Not all jetty’s are the same (in fact most people don’t even know what a jetty is), it was entirely possible that this family was hit by a rogue wave.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:01 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I live in a beach town on the east coast. The jetty is not off limits, people routinely walk on them, life guards don’t wave people away, there is no signage and so on. Not all jetty’s are the same (in fact most people don’t even know what a jetty is), it was entirely possible that this family was hit by a rogue wave.
Same here. In the Texas Gulf Coast, jettys are used for fishing/strolling all the time.

In Port Aransas the jetties are there also to create the canal for the ships, but they've always got fishermen and beach goers on them, and it's encouraged.

I wonder if they need to rename this thing, that doesn't look at all like a jetty to me, more like a dam.

In searching google for Wrightsville Beach Jetty, you see warning after warning going back a decade to stay off it. Maybe they should do something to actually make it inaccessible? A fencing around each edge?

Old 07-19-2019, 08:52 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

To be fair, it may depend on the type of jetty if you are allowed to walk on it or not. As this story illustrates, being in the water near any jetty is dangerous because of the currents (even the ones you are allowed to walk on because if you fall off, you are in the water and at the mercy of the ocean).

Look at the jetty this family was near, it's slippery and dangerous and it was partially submerged when the kids were walking on it according to articles about the event. Plus, it is one of the ones you are NOT allowed to be on (but people complained there are not enough warning signs/the warnings aren't clear enough).

Like I said, the jetties where I go to the beach, near where I live are rock jetties that are also very uneven and slippery and often end up submerged during high tide. You can't really even "walk" on them, you'd have to balance and crawl and hope not to slip in. They are also very clearly marked with signs and huge red flags.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:37 PM

8,753 posts, read 5,050,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Sad and tragic, yet noble.

Noble? These are his children. What parent wouldn`t do the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events