Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 10:43 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Let’s fix our problems here before creating problems elsewhere.
I guess I am a dreamer that the problem of accomplishing these missions will also have a hand in solving our world problems.
Some of you know the benefits that come from manned space exploration and have weighed the option and vote no. But some of you have no idea of what the benefits have been and can be, I know of no official "cost/benifit" analysis as I would see in the business world. Maybe one is impossible, but I offer a few links for some to at least consider:

https://futurism.com/what-is-the-val...ce-exploration
https://www.thoughtco.com/how-does-s...it-you-4082538

NASA paper:
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...013-TAGGED.pdf

Focus on technological spin-offs:
https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html

Humans vs. robots:
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...humans/255341/

And to be fair, this is a mixed-bag analysis of the issue (one that doesn't fairly represent the technological spin-offs, but here you go, to be fair ):
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...hould-explore/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 12:32 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,515,940 times
Billions wasted..meanwhile factories that could employ unemployed/underemployed sit empty, 3 million Americans are homeless despite there being over 18 million empty housing units in America, as mentioned by another poster our infrastructure is crumbling, they need a reality check. We the People need to wake up rise up and just say no to the mob who occupies our Govt.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:43 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Billions wasted..meanwhile factories that could employ unemployed/underemployed sit empty, 3 million Americans are homeless despite there being over 18 million empty housing units in America, as mentioned by another poster our infrastructure is crumbling, they need a reality check. We the People need to wake up rise up and just say no to the mob who occupies our Govt.
You talking about Kennedy? I guess you can blame him for the space program if it makes you feel better.

Let me guess, most of your posting is done in the P&C forum. You seem to just be doing a somewhat misdirected outburst just for the sake of doing an outburst.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:20 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,892,672 times
I'm with the others on here betting that it gets cancelled. In a few years people are going to be freaking out over the US debt again and this moon mission will be low hanging fruit to get cut.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:01 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
We are probably past the point where any benefit from technology developed by space exploration will save the human race. It would take a global epidemic to decrease the population significantly to reverse the adverse effect we are having on the planet. Too many people making too much waste (in a variety of forms) has doomed the human race.

No one currently alive will be here for our extinction but I suspect our great great grandkids won't survive it.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
We are probably past the point where any benefit from technology developed by space exploration will save the human race.
In that case, the moon and Mars will be our escape plan. Better to get their soon, to figure out how many of us will fit and where to locate the first Starbucks location!

Old 07-22-2019, 06:18 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
And that's only in the US. Probably more like two billion world wide.
I posted the exact numbers. 125 million viewers in the US, 530 million viewers worldwide. Those were conservative numbers. Others estimated greater numbers. At that time it was the most people that had watched any broadcast ever. It would have probably gotten even higher numbers worldwide, but it wasn't broadcast in the USSR.

I also have to wonder what the 7% of Americans who were not watching it, were watching. Where I lived we had two TV stations. So we could watch the moonwalk on CBS, or we could watch the moonwalk on NBC, or we could turn off the TV. But I don't think anybody did that. In New York the ratings showed that 100% of TV viewers watched it. That makes me think it was shown on every TV station, including independent and educational stations.

For all practical purposes, everybody who could watch it, was watching it. It's still probably the greatest event in modern history.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:23 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,280,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I posted the exact numbers. 125 million viewers in the US, 530 million viewers worldwide. Those were conservative numbers. Others estimated greater numbers. At that time it was the most people that had watched any broadcast ever. It would have probably gotten even higher numbers worldwide, but it wasn't broadcast in the USSR.

I also have to wonder what the 7% of Americans who were not watching it, were watching. Where I lived we had two TV stations. So we could watch the moonwalk on CBS, or we could watch the moonwalk on NBC, or we could turn off the TV. But I don't think anybody did that. In New York the ratings showed that 100% of TV viewers watched it. That makes me think it was shown on every TV station, including independent and educational stations.

For all practical purposes, everybody who could watch it, was watching it. It's still probably the greatest event in modern history.
Saturday, I watched the live stream from the CBS broadcast 50 years ago (we so need Walter Cronkite today) and Cronkite noted that Flagstaff, AZ and suburban DC had "electrical storms" that caused power outages in those areas. Those poor people.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:24 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

Whoops I missed that.... But to your question of what the other 7% were doing...I wonder too....there was a "What were your doing when the man landed on the moon....?" thread and incredibly a lot of adults couldn't remember.
Yes, I agree it was the greatest event, it's mind boggling NASA did it.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:26 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I'm with the others on here betting that it gets cancelled. In a few years people are going to be freaking out over the US debt again and this moon mission will be low hanging fruit to get cut.
I don't know. It could go either way. I don't think the Republicans really want to fund a moon mission, but at the same time, the MAGA people need something to rally around, to make it look like the US is still a relevant superpower. A moon landing could be their ticket. The question is, will they be willing to spend the money to make it happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events