Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 07:24 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/us/su...rnd/index.html

(CNN)Workers removing shelves and coolers from a former No Frills Supermarket in Council Bluffs, Iowa, in January discovered a body behind one of them.

The remains were recently identified as those of Larry Ely Murillo-Moncada, a former employee who had been reported missing November 28, 2009.
Investigators used his parents' DNA to confirm the identity, and the clothes matched the description of his attire at the time he was reported missing, according to Council Bluffs Police Capt. Todd Weddum.
Murillo-Moncada's parents reported their son missing after he became upset and ran out of their home. They told police at the time that he was acting irrationally, possibly because of medication he was taking, Weddum said.

Officers contacted family members, other law enforcement agencies, nearby detention centers and even the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency -- he had been deported to Honduras before making his way back to the United States -- but received no information regarding his possible whereabouts.
Investigators now believe that Murillo-Moncada went to the supermarket and climbed on top of the coolers. The space was used as storage for merchandise, Weddum said, and employees would sometimes go there to hide when they wanted to take an unofficial break.
He is thought to have fallen into the 18-inch gap between the back of the cooler and a wall, where he became trapped. Noise from the coolers' compressors may have concealed any attempts to call for help, according to Weddum.
An autopsy found no signs of trauma, and the case has been deemed an accidental death.

This is horrible especially considering he probably died a slow death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 07:31 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,307 times
Oh, so tragic. That poor man

Old 07-22-2019, 08:42 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
Wow. Just when we think we have heard it all...........SMH

Sympathies to his loved ones. Glad they now know and have their son/family member back.

However, I am wondering how this explains what happened: The space was used as storage for merchandise, Weddum said, and employees would sometimes go there to hide when they wanted to take an unofficial break.

And nobody found him/his body for 10 YEARS????? How does one take a break or get merchandise without finding someone hiding/dead in that space?

Old 07-22-2019, 08:47 PM

758 posts, read 550,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Wow. Just when we think we have heard it all...........SMH

Sympathies to his loved ones. Glad they now know and have their son/family member back.

However, I am wondering how this explains what happened: The space was used as storage for merchandise, Weddum said, and employees would sometimes go there to hide when they wanted to take an unofficial break.

And nobody found him/his body for 10 YEARS????? How does one take a break or get merchandise without finding someone hiding/dead in that space?
The way I understand it is there was an area that people would sneak a break. It was up high. He went up there, and fell from that area into a gap between the freezer and the wall. Maybe people took those breaks very rarely, and so by the time someone took a break, he was already dead.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
I'm sure there is closure but damn. Realizing he died the way he did might have made things worse.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
How did no one notice the unmistakable stench of a decomposing corpse?

Old 07-22-2019, 11:34 PM

914 posts, read 642,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I'm sure there is closure but damn. Realizing he died the way he did might have made things worse.
it would give me nightmares for life to hear this about my loved one. Sometimes not knowing is best.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:09 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This^^^That smell would have cleared out the whole store.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:14 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
This^^^That smell would have cleared out the whole store.
Not if he was in the freezer area. I’m also more inclined to believe that if he was taking new medication that he had a medical event that caused him to be wedged in that manner. A seizure maybe? I wonder if that can be determined by autopsy after 10 years?

Last edited by coschristi; 07-23-2019 at 12:23 AM..

Old 07-23-2019, 03:13 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
ive been in hundreds of gtocery store back rooms.....and the top of coolers use to be use to store supplies/etc....but that changed 20 yrs ago...because of a few fires

most back rooms are hot n humid...….from receiving shipments....
if a mouse if left too long in a mouse trap it starts to stink....
for a decomposing body..... not to stink up the store????? doesn't make sense..

the only way it wouldn't stink up the store if ...the body was actually in the freezer ..

most backrooms are cleaned out at least once a month for physical inventories......and floor cleanings

the first grocery store death I heard of....was over 30 yrs ago.....in maine..
when the chain supermarket.....got these ram crusher ...waste containers....you throw the non cardboard stuff down a shute ...then turn on the ram......well...one guy was down cleaning out the shute…..something got stuck and another employee turned on the ram...…..
from that....warnings had to be placed all over how to use and how not to use
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events