Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 07:13 PM

30,737 posts, read 18,423,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
it clearly shows on the video that the cop was trying to leave the building, and the guard followed him out to the elevator and tried to hold him.

That was ridiculous. There was no good reason to try and hold the deputy.
We can say that perhaps the security guard overreacted, but would anyone expect a non-police officer to be treated any differently? I don't think so. Perhaps the officer should have been given some consideration, but the response against the security guard was also uncalled for IMO as he didn't break any law by behaving as he did. Note, I wrote this response before knowing anything about the race of the deputy and security guard, and stand by my comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 11:58 PM

13,484 posts, read 7,467,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
We can say that perhaps the security guard overreacted, but would anyone expect a non-police officer to be treated any differently? I don't think so. Perhaps the officer should have been given some consideration, but the response against the security guard was also uncalled for IMO as he didn't break any law by behaving as he did. Note, I wrote this response before knowing anything about the race of the deputy and security guard, and stand by my comment.
The security guard company fired the guard and washed their hands of him. He is facing charges on his own my guess they aren't paying for an attorney. The DA charged him with Aggravated Menacing chose to only charge him with the 1st degree Misdemeanor. My guess they the police and the DA feel Mr Eckland is not fit to be a security guard if they get those charges to stick he will never be one again.

The point I was making watch any video of police they pull their guns all the time on people yet they get a pass. My personal feeling is Mr Eckland should not be a security guard he could end up shooting someone should he be facing charges probably not.

The lawsuit the Deputy has filed against the guard company and Mr Eckland is almost frivolous IMO he claims he can't work anymore because of this. He just found this to be a way to boost his retirement account settling with the company.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
The security guard company fired the guard and washed their hands of him. He is facing charges on his own my guess they aren't paying for an attorney. The DA charged him with Aggravated Menacing chose to only charge him with the 1st degree Misdemeanor. My guess they the police and the DA feel Mr Eckland is not fit to be a security guard if they get those charges to stick he will never be one again.

The point I was making watch any video of police they pull their guns all the time on people yet they get a pass. My personal feeling is Mr Eckland should not be a security guard he could end up shooting someone should he be facing charges probably not.

The lawsuit the Deputy has filed against the guard company and Mr Eckland is almost frivolous IMO he claims he can't work anymore because of this. He just found this to be a way to boost his retirement account settling with the company.
I think police officers should be treated differently, though. Unlike the average citizen that they deal with, police officers take an oath uphold the law and put their lives on the line every day in the course of their duties. Thus, they will be able to do certain things (as a part of their jobs) that other people could never get away with. But its what we pay them for.

Note, in this case, the security guard was out of line as the officer clearly posed no threat. That said, I don't see how what the guard did is a crime, and don't expect the charges to stick.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:06 PM

15,517 posts, read 9,219,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think police officers should be treated differently, though. Unlike the average citizen that they deal with, police officers take an oath uphold the law and put their lives on the line every day in the course of their duties. Thus, they will be able to do certain things (as a part of their jobs) that other people could never get away with. But its what we pay them for.

Note, in this case, the security guard was out of line as the officer clearly posed no threat. That said, I don't see how what the guard did is a crime, and don't expect the charges to stick.
How did the security guard know that he was not a threat? So if someone wants to shoot up a government office, all they have to do is buy a phony police uniform. Then show up at the office, and the security guard should just ignore federal law and let them bring a gun into the office, because they are in uniform?

The police should not be above the law. I know they are, but they should not be. Many crimes have been committed by LEOs in uniform. Many crimes have been committed by civilians in phony police uniforms. A police uniform should not be a license to violate the law.

The fact that LEOs put their lives on the line is irrelevant. They should get no special privileges because of that. Firefighters put their lives on the line too, but they can't ignore federal law and being guns into federal buildings.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
How did the security guard know that he was not a threat? So if someone wants to shoot up a government office, all they have to do is buy a phony police uniform. Then show up at the office, and the security guard should just ignore federal law and let them bring a gun into the office, because they are in uniform?

The police should not be above the law. I know they are, but they should not be. Many crimes have been committed by LEOs in uniform. Many crimes have been committed by civilians in phony police uniforms. A police uniform should not be a license to violate the law.

The fact that LEOs put their lives on the line is irrelevant. They should get no special privileges because of that. Firefighters put their lives on the line too, but they can't ignore federal law and being guns into federal buildings.
He is a sworn law enforcement officer who was walking out of the building after being told that there were no exceptions to the weapons policy if you were not on official work status, which the officer was not. He didn't run up in there like a hot head. He walked in there as a sworn law enforcement officer, and when instructed on policy turned around to walk away.

The security guard reacted irrationally, which is why he is being charged, though I disagree with the charge ultimately.

And, no, police officers are not above the law, though their unique situation has the law apply to them differently in some circumstances, to include the use of force.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:47 PM

51,208 posts, read 36,895,969 times
Quote:

He was trying to do everything the security guard was asking him to do. He never disobeyed him. He told him he could not remove the gun because it was part of the uniform and they are not allowed to. He was going to leave, and the security guard would not let him. There are a lot of states with open carry. I would hate to think you could just walk into an office and have a gun pulled on you because you’re in one of those states. If security guard tells you can bring the gun into the office, you should have the option to go back and put it in your car or simply leave all together.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:35 PM

13,730 posts, read 12,529,878 times
Quote:

Part of that job is exercising good judgment. IE, the policeman said “I’ll come back another time” without arguing, was exercising good judgment. A rentacop that flies off the handle is not demonstrating good judgment.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He was trying to do everything the security guard was asking him to do. He never disobeyed him. He told him he could not remove the gun because it was part of the uniform and they are not allowed to. He was going to leave, and the security guard would not let him. There are a lot of states with open carry. I would hate to think you could just walk into an office and have a gun pulled on you because you’re in one of those states. If security guard tells you can bring the gun into the office, you should have the option to go back and put it in your car or simply leave all together.
Incorrect. He did not do everything the security guard was asking him to do. The security guard told him he could not leave, but he tried to leave anyway. That was not doing what the security guard was asking him. Which is very ironic. Because later on the cops got very perturbed when the security guard tried to leave, when they told him not to. It just more double standards for cops. Cops think they can do whatever they like. Rules don't apply to them. Federal laws don't apply to them, even when they do.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Part of that job is exercising good judgment. IE, the policeman said “I’ll come back another time” without arguing, was exercising good judgment. A rentacop that flies off the handle is not demonstrating good judgment.
Good judgment would be for the cop to know the law, and not try to take his gun into a federal office. If the cop had exercised good judgment, none of this would have happened.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:48 AM

51,208 posts, read 36,895,969 times
Quote:
Incorrect. He did not do everything the security guard was asking him to do. The security guard told him he could not leave, but he tried to leave anyway. That was not doing what the security guard was asking him. Which is very ironic. Because later on the cops got very perturbed when the security guard tried to leave, when they told him not to. It just more double standards for cops. Cops think they can do whatever they like. Rules don't apply to them. Federal laws don't apply to them, even when they do.
Because the security guard had no authority to tell him he couldn’t leave. Why couldn’t he leave? Someone even posted the policy earlier, which states that you have to leave if you have a gun. What reason was there to prevent him from leaving??

Any case, I wish newcomers to this thread would actually read the thread from the beginning, because these arguments have been made over and over and over again many many months ago when this actually happened.

I can’t believe I’m doing this again with you, Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events