Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 07:18 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
But what I am not understanding is; why the need to live in San Francisco?

There is so many low cost housing available in the US, a person can work at Walmart as an associate and literally rent an apartment and still have money for food and transportation. They can clean damn hotel rooms and still live fine, better than homeless at least.

So I still cannot comprehend this thing that for some reason people have this need to live in the highest COL areas in the country. A many are not even from there, they migrate there from other areas.
In SF (and other cities also) many people have the opportunity to make 100K, 150K, even 200K+ salaries. I read that Google's average employee salary is like 240K. It's more financially rewarding to try to live around SF to make this kind of money, than living in cheap COL places and working at Walmart. Therefore people have to pay the high cost of housing around SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 07:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In SF (and other cities also) many people have the opportunity to make 100K, 150K, even 200K+ salaries. I read that Google's average employee salary is like 240K. It's more financially rewarding to try to live around SF to make this kind of money, than living in cheap COL places and working at Walmart. Therefore people have to pay the high cost of housing around SF.
So those homeless people have the skills to make 100k+?

And there are absolutely zero jobs in their field anywhere else in the country? And they rather be homeless for years, maybe their whole life?

Old 07-26-2019, 07:49 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
False dichotomy.

There are tons of things that can happen to disincentivize further reproduction without getting into eugenics.

I asked two questions, not an either-or. LINative can clarify.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
So those homeless people have the skills to make 100k+?

And there are absolutely zero jobs in their field anywhere else in the country? And they rather be homeless for years, maybe their whole life?
I recall seeing a piece of news about a college professor in SF bay area becoming homeless. No it's not those people with 100K income skills that become homeless; these people just jack up the price of housing and other cost of living, and cause those making 40K, 50K, or even 60K to become homeless in SF if they don't have enough savings or have bigger expenditure.

If housing and cost of living can be brought down a bit, then these lower income earners - that professor in the news for example, or the army of people currently living in RVs, or the people renting backyards now - can probably have a roof over their heads, a small roof notwithstanding.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I recall seeing a piece of news about a college professor in SF bay area becoming homeless. No it's not those people with 100K income skills that become homeless; these people just jack up the price of housing and other cost of living, and cause those making 40K, 50K, or even 60K to become homeless in SF if they don't have enough savings or have bigger expenditure.

If housing and cost of living can be brought down a bit, then these lower income earners - that professor in the news for example, or the army of people currently living in RVs, or the people renting backyards now - can probably have a roof over their heads, a small roof notwithstanding.
But back to my question; why is there some need to live there?

There are numerous other places to live that have a much lower COL.

It is the basics of "live where you can afford". Yet for some people, they have this need to live in the highest COL areas even though they cannot afford it.

Was that professor from the area? How many of these people are actually from there? Why do they feel entitled to be there, or stay there if they are from there?

Old 07-26-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
But back to my question; why is there some need to live there?

There are numerous other places to live that have a much lower COL.

It is the basics of "live where you can afford". Yet for some people, they have this need to live in the highest COL areas even though they cannot afford it.

Was that professor from the area? How many of these people are actually from there? Why do they feel entitled to be there, or stay there if they are from there?
I found the link about the homeless professor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8FeXvn-8zY

If I offer her a 250 sqft apt for $500 (one quarter of a 1000 sqft/$2000 rent San Jose apt), do you think she would gladly take it, or say "hmmm... it's a slum, I'd live like a rat, therefore I'd continue to live in my car"?

Why doesn't she move to Fresno and work for Walmart? You have to ask her. But I suspect that is not a desirable path of life for some.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:35 PM

Lol, nice example. She makes a low wage in a high COL area, and her husband is unemployed. She got laid off and instead of finding employment somewhere that pays well, she blew through her savings and racked up $153k in student loan debt.

This woman is an idiot, so is her unemployed husband. He can walk in and get a dish washing job, laborer, something.

Why not she take up an adjunct position in a lower COL area? Why you feel she is entitled to live there?

Is she not smart enough to move or something?

No, she is an idiot, a very stupid person, and policies like housing should not be upended to accommodate idiots like her.

It is real simple, go to east Tennessee and get a job at Walmart, you can rent an apartment and live just fine off an associates salary even.

She is not entitled to live there, it is her fault and her fault only she is in the situation she is in. She can move to a lower COL area.

I guess by you logic, I live in Miami, so I should go "move" to Fisher Island and turn around and complain how I am living in the streets because I cannot afford a home there.

And guess what, not everyone gets to have the path in life they want, however, it seems to be her choice she is in the situation she is in.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:56 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
I think the better idea is to have high speed rail systems can go 150 mph to bring in labor and they leave the high cost area for lower cost areas to live.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:30 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I think the better idea is to have high speed rail systems can go 150 mph to bring in labor and they leave the high cost area for lower cost areas to live.

Isn't this just another way to subsidize low wages?

Old 07-26-2019, 09:46 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Isn't this just another way to subsidize low wages?
Subsidize? You mean justify?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events