Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2019, 10:23 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think we need a required test for entry to parks with wildlife-

You see a bear cub at the side of the road. He appears to be lost and hungry. Do you
A) Put the cub in your vehicle and take it back to the ranger station?
B) Feed the cub and try to comfort it?
C) Realize this is a prime opportunity for a selfie and grab your camera?
D) Leave the poor cub all alone and notify the park officials at the next opportunity?
E) Look around to see if you can find it's mother?
Option F Dress cub as Whinny The Poo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 05:32 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Charkle View Post
We're not laughing at her getting hurt. We're laughing because it was funny the way she got tossed.
You shouldn't laugh at all. That is a sick, disgusting thing to do. For crying out loud, that's a little girl.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:08 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Poor child... my sympathies to her. She has idiots for parents. I hope she recovers fully.

Tourists never cease to amaze... in a bad way.
Seriously.

Nothing like that will ever happen to her kids....as she'll never forget that as long as she lives.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:19 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
While we're on the subject of stupid people in nature, maybe people should have to take a nature class or something.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/vi...lls-in-glacier

Misty Morrow told us road construction caused a delay on Going-to-the-Sun Road.

She shot video as some people took out their golf clubs and teed off.

We're told Glacier Park rangers know about the video and are investigating.

Then again.

https://wlos.com/news/videos/man-get...iously-injured

CADES COVE, Tenn. (SBG) - This man in Cades Cove, Tennessee did not keep his distance to a mama bear and her cubs and could have been seriously injured.
I dont think that would help. I have seen people I know, who have degrees in wildlife biology, walk in close to try to get a photo of bears. If anyone should know better.....

Old 07-26-2019, 07:24 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You shouldn't laugh at all. That is a sick, disgusting thing to do. For crying out loud, that's a little girl.
Exactly - much needed perspective for some - thank you!

Old 07-26-2019, 08:32 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont think that would help. I have seen people I know, who have degrees in wildlife biology, walk in close to try to get a photo of bears. If anyone should know better.....
Sad but true.

I think the girls parents should be charged with negligence myself. I don’t see it happening but still.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:49 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
When my son took hunters safety I went ahead and went through the class again with hi . The instructors were both game officers and they showed a film called "Urban Elk." A small Canadian town on the WA border has a huge herd of elk they coexist with year round.

They just cruise around town and do what elk do. Be large and dangerous. The film went into one years worth of tourist incidents with the animals and it's a wake up call. People gored, stomped, ran over and generally left feeling not so good after trying to get up close.

One clown was filming a fight between two rutting bulls on a schoolyard. These critters were flat duking it out and one got his rack caught in the chains on a swingset. This cretin kept walking closer filming as the other bull was goring the caught one and then the tangled bull completely uprooted the swings.

This clown kept filming and the last thing you see is the camera lens showing nothing but hair as the two enraged animals mowed him over. Oh yea...that hurt. Other people were shown parts of town carried in a bulls antlers after trying to touch the animals and all manner of crass stupidity.

Point of lesson was that NEVER take wild animals lightly. There are more people killed and injured by deer in the US every year than ALL other animals (including apex predators) combined because people underestimate them. Badly and at their peril. People just don't get how much stronger than humans animals like deer are pound for pound. A 150 pound deer can turn a 240 pound human inside out. Conversely a 90 -100 pound mountain lion could tear Duane Johnson to shreds in the blink of an eye. But people are more cautious with predators and woefully take critters like Bambi for granted.

Until they get treated to hoof horns and hide. I really can't wrap my head around these idiots who treat wild animals with a lackadaisical manner. Of course I was born and raised on a ranch and up close to the wild places and wrangling livestock. I've been hurt while trying my best to avoid it. Someone begging for it has lost their mind.

I think the worst experience with a wild animal was with a badger. A 40 or so pound critter but all teeth claws and generally poor attitude towards others. He didn't get hold of me thankfully thanks to my then young fleet feet. Oh my Dad laughed like Hell. . All he said was "You'll watch where you're going next time huh boy."

Old 07-26-2019, 10:20 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Sad but true.

I think the girls parents should be charged with negligence myself. I don’t see it happening but still.
I wasnt for sure those were her parents. What the heck? If that was my kid I'd be yelling and waving my arms trying to direct the thing towards me.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
people, please remember that when threatened, a beast can be thwarted with a sharp punch to the nose. Recently happened with a shark in North Carolina, a knife wielding maniac in California, a "big bird" in England a kangaroo in Australia and a sloth at Roscoe's Petting Zoo in Arkansas.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:10 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
While we're on the subject of stupid people in nature, maybe people should have to take a nature class or something.
The Park Service at Yellowstone should stop every visitor as they arrive and make them watch an instructional video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events