Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:35 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times

Advertisements

Found this on line. Thought you might enjoy what people think they know is what is going happen to Yellowstone and the Mega Quake, who don't Live in Wyoming. Thanks to social media and the simplicity with which people can steal the video footage of others, stories can spin wildly out of control. Here is the rest of the story enjoy, i did, lol.

Bison running on road fuels speculation that Yellowstone volcano will erupt | GrindTV.com
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 01:04 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
ROFL Maybe the bison are migrating to CA to watch it fall into the Pacific?

Hmmm, actually, that might not be a bad idea.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:11 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
It's a crock. The sensationalists pulled a good one. They posted pictures saying that an erruption was eminant but in fact, the pictures were taken on 30 March after a 4.8 magnitude earthquake in the park. Earthquakes are very common as in 2 or 3 a day in Yellowstone. The 4.8 was a bit bigger than normal so it riled the animals. 4.8 is the largest earthquake since 1980.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It's a crock. The sensationalists pulled a good one. They posted pictures saying that an erruption was eminant but in fact, the pictures were taken on 30 March after a 4.8 magnitude earthquake in the park. Earthquakes are very common as in 2 or 3 a day in Yellowstone. The 4.8 was a bit bigger than normal so it riled the animals. 4.8 is the largest earthquake since 1980.
For Wyoming Weather i monitor Weather Wunderground because you can add up five other towns in Wyoming and see the weather toward the top of the page. I can than click on the town and the page opens to that town. Down toward the bottom it lists Earthquake Activity dates, time and magntude of the quakes. Shows it about every other day for yellowstone usually.
Scott

Old 04-05-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
For Wyoming Weather i monitor Weather Wunderground because you can add up five other towns in Wyoming and see the weather toward the top of the page. I can than click on the town and the page opens to that town. Down toward the bottom it lists Earthquake Activity dates, time and magntude of the quakes. Shows it about every other day for yellowstone usually.
Scott
Here you go, count the squares:

Recent Earthquakes for Yellowstone

Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 PM

Thanks EH. I have seis.utah saved to my browser. Appreciated it.
Scott

Old 04-07-2014, 01:29 PM

293 posts, read 563,778 times
More sensationalism. Earthquakes are far from uncommon up there and there hasn't been any major uptick as far as I'm aware of. This one happened to be bigger than usual, but still not an especially large magnitude. I don't know about bison running up the road, but large migrations are pretty common this type of year. I tend to run on the road more often as it warms up, myself

....or I'm just completely full of it and I'll have a front row seat to the barbecue!

Old 04-07-2014, 02:43 PM

335 posts, read 409,932 times
There have been thousands of small earthquakes in Yellowstone ranging from .5 - 1.2 and I though I heard last night of
a 4.2. The Bison begin getting warned of impending quakes that generally hit at 3.0 but begin running sometime prior
as they can detect surface/ground vibrations early on. The following scenario's could occur that can change the way we
live and potentially how the world lives given the extent of an eruption of the super volcano and magma culdera beneath
Yellowstone .

A major eruption would potentially bury 6-11 states in a pryroclastic ash 2-3 feet deep and as it reaches the Midwest 1ft. It's plume would flow for weeks sending ash 10,000 ft. perhaps higher but due to it being a underground volcano the
height isn't as dramatic as if coming out of a 6,000 ft.+ typical cone shaped volcano. MIllions of people would die and
hundreds of millions stranded with zero hope of any relief. Many would starve for lake of food and water. America is
not a country where preparedness is an even a thought.

If this volcano (which is the largest in the world) erupts it could usher in a nuclear winter but if not the entire corn belt
and farm producing states and near southern ranches would be eliminated entirely for 4-5 years. Interstate commerce
would come to a halt except for some west coast and eastern states. All commercial airlines would be grounded and an
estimated 200 million without electricity for 2-3 years partially due to the grid in the heartland being inaccessible and destroyed , There are many security issues that surround Yellowstone and you can eliminate FEMA as they won't be there.
The big issues will be food ,water ,transportation (zero) medical care and body removal and disposal. Survival will be
difficult . If snowplows can be equiped with air intake filters the ash could be plowed to open roads ,but
grid lock due to down lines and vehicles will be a realistic barrier. Supplies could be dropped to towns and suburbs
farms via chopper and air drops. So many considerations in the event of something of this magnitude.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:16 PM

Well, living in Wyoming, we don't have to worry about it...... or should I say, worrying about it would serve no purpose?

Old 04-08-2014, 05:13 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
It was a hoax. A Yellowstone park spokesman confirmed that the buffalo are, in fact, running INTO the park, towards the volcano, in the now famous video.

Turns Out, a Video of Bison Purportedly Fleeing Yellowstone Is a Hoax - The Daily Beast

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming