Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 10:53 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Bullbleep.

I don't have to have to "back up" a thing because others are uninformed and didn't read, see, or hear what I did. And that goes for you, too.
Del, I don't believe anyone is attacking your own personal credibility - you read what was reported, and believe it. Others disagree. None of us were there to see it with our own eyes.

For me, I am skeptical of the credibility of the "witness" who had her dog taken (if it happened at all), simply because of the physics involved; it would have to be the largest gull and the tiniest dog, and even then, I have my doubts. Now, could a gull "kill" a small dog? Sure. But to fly off with it in its beak? Stretches the bounds of physical limitations for me, I believe that a gull could take off with maybe a fourth or less of its own weight, so it would have to be a 1.5 pound dog and a 6 pound gull for that to make sense. The vast majority of gulls weigh much, much less than that. Seems much more likely to me that if the dog was actually taken by a bird, my guess is it was a bird of prey, not a seagull, and it was misidentified by the dog's owner.

But I'm not an ornithologist or zookeeper, maybe some really knowledgeable people will weigh in on this in the coming days. You have a right to believe what you read, just as I have a right to be skeptical. No personal offense intended or given; as Dave Mason once opined, we just disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 12:07 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,066 times
A seagull tried to snatch one of our babies by the diaper in Galveston ... not joking. And not sure if it was a gull or some other seabird but while visiting Vancouver Island, we stopped at a seafood shack, took our plates to an outdoor table and some big old pterodactyl-looking thing swooped down, snatched my brother-in-law's plate of fish and chips and off he went.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:37 AM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Del, I don't believe anyone is attacking your own personal credibility - you read what was reported, and believe it. Others disagree. None of us were there to see it with our own eyes.

For me, I am skeptical of the credibility of the "witness" who had her dog taken (if it happened at all), simply because of the physics involved; it would have to be the largest gull and the tiniest dog, and even then, I have my doubts. Now, could a gull "kill" a small dog? Sure. But to fly off with it in its beak? Stretches the bounds of physical limitations for me, I believe that a gull could take off with maybe a fourth or less of its own weight, so it would have to be a 1.5 pound dog and a 6 pound gull for that to make sense. The vast majority of gulls weigh much, much less than that. Seems much more likely to me that if the dog was actually taken by a bird, my guess is it was a bird of prey, not a seagull, and it was misidentified by the dog's owner.

But I'm not an ornithologist or zookeeper, maybe some really knowledgeable people will weigh in on this in the coming days. You have a right to believe what you read, just as I have a right to be skeptical. No personal offense intended or given; as Dave Mason once opined, we just disagree.
Regarding this story, "Ornithologist Peter Rock of the University of Bristol told the BBC that seagulls are, indeed, capable of picking up small animals such as a chihuahua."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ow/1793386001/

Old 07-25-2019, 02:40 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,930 times
It’s entirely possible.

When I lived in California and regularly went to the beach, you had to protect your lunch from them, they would surround you.

One time, the people next to me were pulling out their lunch items, including an entire rotisserie chicken. A gull swooped out of nowhere and snatched the entire chicken, which I would guess would weigh around what a tiny chihuahua would.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:00 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Regarding this story, "Ornithologist Peter Rock of the University of Bristol told the BBC that seagulls are, indeed, capable of picking up small animals such as a chihuahua."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ow/1793386001/
Thanks for the information, but I think the jury is still out - two other experts in the same article are as incredulous as I am, so there's that.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:03 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Terrible, I never knew seagulls would do that.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/seagull-s...080656832.html
I have seen a seagull make a dive on a cat in the street. It failed.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:43 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,077 times
The gull was taking steroids, working out at Golds gym and hanging out with Chuck Norris..

Old 07-25-2019, 06:10 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
It’s entirely possible.

When I lived in California and regularly went to the beach, you had to protect your lunch from them, they would surround you.

One time, the people next to me were pulling out their lunch items, including an entire rotisserie chicken. A gull swooped out of nowhere and snatched the entire chicken, which I would guess would weigh around what a tiny chihuahua would.

Some of those gulls in California are a lot bigger than the ones on the East Coast. I remember the first time I saw one and thinking it was huge! I had an East Coast gull try to steal a slice of pizza from me. It could only carry it about 200 feet before dropping it in the sand because it was too heavy. This dog attack happened in Pennsylvania so I am picturing smaller gulls in that area (which isn't even on the coast when you think about it. Although those gulls do go inland to dumpster dive).

I am with another poster and think this is a case of mistaken bird identy. I see it all the time where people think ospreys are gulls. While the ornithologists say it's possible they add it's very unlikely it was a gull. They added that gulls typically drop whatever they scoop up right away, not carry it off.

We are relying on eye witness testimony of a distressed dog owner. I would put my money on an osprey--a raptor and easily misidentified especially during a quick grab and flying off. Ospreys routinely carry off fish 3-4 pounds.

Although I suppose it really doesn't matter what kind of bird it was. It's still sad. I have a dog myself and I can imagine what those people felt. My dog isn't light enough to be carried away by any bird, but I can relate to the feelings.

Last edited by TMBGBlueCanary; 07-25-2019 at 06:18 AM..

Old 07-25-2019, 06:37 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,705,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can't imagine why you'd decide it never happened, especially given your apparent lack of experience with seagulls, believing they carry their pray in their feet/claws.

I've spent a LOT of time at texas beaches, and yes, they can carry stuff. Like, for example, the large steak you just pulled off the grill or the large catfish you just landed and got off the hook.
It could grip it by the fur.

But it's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple question of weight ratio.

Of course, an African seagull could do it. But they're non-migratory, you know.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:45 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
It could grip it by the fur.

But it's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple question of weight ratio.

Of course, an African seagull could do it. But they're non-migratory, you know.
Wait a minute -- supposing two seagulls carried it together?

("spread the love")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events