Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 07:16 PM

978 posts, read 674,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
These days white cops beating black people to death don't even result in riots and cities burning. 30 years ago maybe, today no way. Most African Americans are just used to that, it's the norm. Hundreds of black people are killed by white police every year. When was the last time a city was burned over it? It so long ago, that I can't remember.
Holy cow, where do you find stats like that? I thought the AA's are killing each other by the hundreds every year in Chicago.
But let's not get upset about that now shall we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 08:29 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Are you sure all those deaths are by white police officers?

AND, how many are 100% justified? The great majority I read about, with the deceased being of whatever race, seem entirely justified.

Apparently, about 1000 men are killed by cops in the US per year.
About 25% of that 1000 are African Americans. About 20% of that 25% are unarmed. The vast majority are killed by white cops. That leaves a lot of unarmed black people being killed by white cops, every year. Again when was the last time there was a riot over it? I think you have to go back at least five years for that. When was the last time a city burned and the National Guard was called out, because a black man was beaten by white police? I believe that was over 25 years ago. So I think the chances of a city burning and the National Guard being called out because some random white man beat a random black man to death, would be about zero. It's just an irrational fear. If a city got burned down every time a black person was murdered by a white person, almost every US city would be in ashes all the time.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:34 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,476 times
Quote:
About 25% of that 1000 are African Americans. About 20% of that 25% are unarmed. The vast majority are killed by white cops. That leaves a lot of unarmed black people being killed by white cops, every year. Again when was the last time there was a riot over it? I think you have to go back at least five years for that. When was the last time a city burned and the National Guard was called out, because a black man was beaten by white police? I believe that was over 25 years ago. So I think the chances of a city burning and the National Guard being called out because some random white man beat a random black man to death, would be about zero. It's just an irrational fear. If a city got burned down every time a black person was murdered by a white person, almost every US city would be in ashes all the time.
An unarmed black man is about as likely to be struck by lightening as he is to be shot by a cop. BLM makes a big deal out of a minuscule number of blacks killed by cops but doesn't mention anything about the 98% or so of blacks killed by other blacks.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:16 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Why would they look to save this guy at 2:00am from this lunatic? if you were in their shoes you would have done the same. Stop trying to make this horrific incident into some uncaring bystander issue, it's not.
They need to find this rabid animal and put him down.
I disagree. I would've called 911 immediately. If I knew the guy doing the attacking, I would've yelled at him to stop, he's killing the guy.

Most people would do something. It may depend on where you live. I know that I'll do my best never to go to Detroit, that's for sure.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:55 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Lock those savages up!

Unfortunately the victim said he moved to Detroit because he "believed " in it, and that the city was on the rise.
Sadly that isnt the case.
Lilly white boy? Then please don't move to a dangerous place because you believe it's on the up and up, unless you know how to survive in a jungle.
Best thing to do is let these animals keep killing themselves, eventually Detroit will even out. Insanely high gun death rate in Detroit, and over in NY they are aborting more babies than are birthed. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ate-1531263697

Way to go!
Again though why drive through a bad part of town at 2 AM? Maybe he was trying to buy drugs or something who knows.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Does “other blacks” did not take an oath vowing to protect their fellow citizens. The police do. The black man who is killed by a cop paid taxes to pay that cops salary. Are you really arguing that cops should not be held to a high standard because gang members aren’t? Number maybe minuscule to you, but to their family members it doesn’t matter how many are a few there are only that their loved one is gone.Even one person killed is too many.

I’d like to see some confirmation of your assertion that the chances of an unarmed black man in an inner-city neighborhood getting shot by the police is about as likely as him getting struck by lightning. I don’t think that’s true. I think the odds are higher of him getting shot and getting struck by lightning. Black parents in bad or even wealthy areas do not go over lightening safety, but they do rehearse over and over how to act when confronted or pulled over by police. There’s a reason for that.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:36 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I disagree. I would've called 911 immediately. If I knew the guy doing the attacking, I would've yelled at him to stop, he's killing the guy.

Most people would do something. It may depend on where you live. I know that I'll do my best never to go to Detroit, that's for sure.
Calling 911 "immediately" is the same thing as calling 911 an hour later. There was no time, it was all over in a minute or two. And yelling at him to stop - uh, yeah, I'm sure you would have saved the day. The only thing that would have saved him would have been to immediately react physically after the first punch was thrown. Run over yelling and screaming and be ready to stand between the two.
Now, there are a lot of internet tough guys but I'm willing to bet not a single person reading this thread would have done that.
"A witness was able to pull the man off of Tyler, and the man even appeared to try to swing at that witness."
And anyway, it appears that someone did intervene but it was too late. People need to stop blaming witnesses for this death.

How much longer is it going to take to find this thug I wonder?

Old 07-28-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Trump View Post
Black parents need to rehearse over and over how their kids should deal with people of their own race because they're the one most likely to cause them harm.

In poor areas. In ghettos. Black people living in suburbs and living in wealthy areas do not have to do this. They DO have to rehearse with their kids their words and actions during a police stop. Drum it into them. Actually very likely to happen in wealthy areas because they look like they don't belong in a nice car in nice neighborhood to too many cops. Believe it or not, most black people do not live in urban areas.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:00 PM

905 posts, read 790,809 times
I think people who think this is about race are speculating, and quite possibly wrong. A thug with such demonstrably poor impulse control could, and quite possibly would, kill anyone of any race under such circumstances. Much like this recent similar story from Milwaukee which was black-on-black, so race clearly a non-factor.

https://fox6now.com/2019/07/17/anton...ooklyn-harris/

Old 07-28-2019, 12:05 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
I think people who think this is about race are speculating, and quite possibly wrong. A thug with such demonstrably poor impulse control could, and quite possibly would, kill anyone of any race under such circumstances. Much like this recent similar story from Milwaukee which was black-on-black, so race clearly a non-factor.

https://fox6now.com/2019/07/17/anton...ooklyn-harris/
I suspect others would have helped, especially after the assailant had fled, if the victim had been their same race.

The shocking thing here, again, to me, isn't the one assailant but the apathy of the bystanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events