Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 08:51 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

Lawsuit!!

Followed by GoFundMe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 08:57 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,248,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Did you watch the video?

I personally don't believe I've ever seen a child as fearless as that. As he's being sucked back into the hole, he's not terribly concerned.

Other kids would be screaming.

A lot of people in the public have a lot of "shoulds" for parents, and shame parents for doing what's needed to keep a child safe, and what's needed for this one is a leash.

And since he's now going to have to sit for a very long time, being in a stroller right now wouldn't be the best option.

I do have to ask. Did you provide primary care for adventuresome toddlers?

Because I had one, not like this one - my child at least had fear - and I wish I'd have used a hand holder leash when he was that age.
Yes i have an 11 year old that when he was 2.5 he managed to get down 2 flights of stairs and break his finger in a slamming door at our apartment while i was locking the door. it was my fault for not holding on to him. First time parent mistake. He held my hand everywhere from then on. I have a just-turned-5-yesterday boy that has never met anything in his life that he was afraid of. i taught him from the minute he started walking, if he wasnt in a stroller he was holding on to me. thats the rules. i went to disneyworld with him at 3 1/2 on the busiest week of the year and didnt use a leash. we used a stroller or he held our hands. we flew on airplanes, he walked with us. we didnt turn our backs on him, ever. because you dont turn your back on a 2 year old in a public place.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:59 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,248,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Wouldn't she be checking a stroller? I don't know that I've ever seen a stroller on a plane so I assume they are checked. But I really don't know. But it seems like something you'd check.

Honestly, on this one, I am not so quick to blame the mom. I hate those "force the passenger to print the boarding pass" kiosks. I hate them because they are annoying, but I can see where trying to print a boarding pass, those stupid luggage tags and put them on your bags, all while there is chaos going around you would be really hard to do while holding a toddler's hand. I have a heard enough time trying to use the things and keep an eye on my bags (which seem to always have to be behind me because the kiosks are so crowded together).

Plus, one might think, "yeah, my kid might take off a few feet from me in the few seconds I look down but I will catch him" but who thinks, "yeah, in the ten seconds I look down at the check-in screen my kid will take off, somehow get behind a counter that passengers shouldn't be able to get behind, and get on a conveyor belt." It's kind of a freak thing that happened.
you check strollers at the gate.

While i 100% think the mother should have been more responsible it is inexcusable that ANYONE could get behind the gate agents area and get to the luggage belt.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:04 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post

While i 100% think the mother should have been more responsible it is inexcusable that ANYONE could get behind the gate agents area and get to the luggage belt.
He got on at the access point where people remove their luggage. You have to allow people access to the belt, otherwise, how would they get their luggage?

And then, he rode the thing all the way into the baggage loading area. It doesn't look like the public was around, there were few bags going around the belt, so no one could grab him, and he was back in the luggage loading area by the time the mother turned around to see where he'd gone.

It appears this isn't dangerous - and if a person fell onto the belt and rode all the way into the loading area, it would just be kind of embarrassing, but they wouldn't be harmed, it doesn't seem.

This child broke his hand - it appears - because he's climbing over luggage and tumbling around.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
if the only way to keep a kid safe is to put them on a leash like an animal then perhaps they need to reevaluate how they do things. its possible to use that machine 1 handed. you pick him up or you hold his hand and dont let go.
How many kids have you raised to adulthood?

Quote:
parenting.

besides...mom every heard of a stroller????

ETA...a leash doesnt teach a very very necessary lesson. That youre to stay next to mom and hold her hand/belt loop/ backpack. kids will wander if not controlled and teaching them to stay next to you is a better lesson than teaching them to wander 4 or 5 feet away with a leash. Maybe she uses a leash and didnt have it in the airport and her kid has always just walked as far as his leash allowed with no policing and this time just wandered and wandered.
What is the difference between strapping a kid into a stroller and putting a leash on him, as far as restraining goes? Safety needs to be the priority over "teaching a lesson" in this situation, especially with a two year old.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:08 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He got on at the access point where people remove their luggage. You have to allow people access to the belt, otherwise, how would they get their luggage?

And then, he rode the thing all the way into the baggage loading area. It doesn't look like the public was around, there were few bags going around the belt, so no one could grab him, and he was back in the luggage loading area by the time the mother turned around to see where he'd gone.

It appears this isn't dangerous - and if a person fell onto the belt and rode all the way into the loading area, it would just be kind of embarrassing, but they wouldn't be harmed, it doesn't seem.

This child broke his hand - it appears - because he's climbing over luggage and tumbling around.

It was one of those belts behind the ticket counter (The ones they put luggage on as you are checking in to your flight). It wasn't the place where you pick up your luggage after the flight.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:11 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
It was one of those belts behind the ticket counter (The ones they put luggage on as you are checking in to your flight). It wasn't the place where you pick up your luggage after the flight.
Ah.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:11 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
Quote:

This was on spirit airlines They charge for EVERY THING.

Often its cheaper to buy a "Cheap" umbrella stroller, when you get to your destination, And just give it away before you fly back.

Gate Agents are few and far between at Spirit Check-In. Even if they hit the emergency stop button for the check-in conveyor belt, the child was on the slide at that point, and that is Gravity. TSA Bag/Scan is automated, so no one is looking at the slide, or the belts that is feeding the XRay systems, they are looking at the results. Once the TSA Bag Agents saw the child they shut down the belt, and all of them were moving into position to intercept and grab the child. Good Work TSA agents..

Old 07-25-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
How many kids have you raised to adulthood?

What is the difference between strapping a kid into a stroller and putting a leash on him, as far as restraining goes? Safety needs to be the priority over "teaching a lesson" in this situation, especially with a two year old.
It would certainly seem that strapping a child into a stroller is far more restrictive than putting them on a hand holder leash, I agree.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:16 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I am just very glad tlad that the child was not seriously injured, but what a ride! It did bring the following to mind though --

"It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events