Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 01:42 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 11 days ago)

35,988 posts, read 18,271,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
The majority of toddlers are not walking around leashed, and are not dying in great numbers.
The majority of toddlers don't dart off unpredictably.

I'm not advocating for leashing all toddlers, calgirl. I'm advocating that parents shouldn't be shamed for leashing ones who are very unpredictable and fearless.

Like the one in this story we're talking about currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 01:47 PM

9,549 posts, read 7,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The majority of toddlers don't dart off unpredictably.

I'm not advocating for leashing all toddlers, calgirl. I'm advocating that parents shouldn't be shamed for leashing ones who are very unpredictable and fearless.

Like the one in this story we're talking about currently.
Well, I agree with you there. I don't personally care if I see a parent using one of those backpack leashes.

It's not my kid and I'm not aware of what the personal difficulties are. IME, the older parents get, the less judgmental they get.

I was just answering PP's question, that there IS a difference between strollers and leashes.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:54 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,174,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The problem with a leash in a crowded airport luggage area is that the crowds can be so thick, that a leash on an active child could quickly get in the way of other travelers, and trip someone up. It would have to be a short leash, in which case, holding the child's hand would be as effective. I didn't watch the video, but by your description, it sounds like the kid thought it was something like an amusement park ride, so he thought it was fun, rather than being afraid.

Unfortunately, this is correct - especially at ATL. I did think of it though, so the suggestion of a leash was a good one. Now that I think about it, his little back pack does have a loop at the top I can easily fit my hand around, so I can imagine hanging on to that. One thing we did to try and help ourselves is book a 7:30 pm flight. We aren't working that day, so we should be able to get there in plenty of time and not be in a rush. I have a book coming today aimed at kids and their first airport experience. We'll be reading this many times When I told him we were taking a plane ride he asked if we were going to France because he's always wanted to go there. He's 3 lol. We're going international, but not there. Sorry kiddo.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:57 PM

9,549 posts, read 7,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Unfortunately, this is correct - especially at ATL. I did think of it though, so the suggestion of a leash was a good one. Now that I think about it, his little back pack does have a loop at the top I can easily fit my hand around, so I can imagine hanging on to that. One thing we did to try and help ourselves is book a 7:30 pm flight. We aren't working that day, so we should be able to get there in plenty of time and not be in a rush. I have a book coming today aimed at kids and their first airport experience. We'll be reading this many times When I told him we were taking a plane ride he asked if we were going to France because he's always wanted to go there. He's 3 lol. We're going international, but not there. Sorry kiddo.
Can't you buy a cheap umbrella stroller that folds pretty small? We used to take those internationally.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:02 PM

15,988 posts, read 6,682,396 times
File it under "kids are dumb".

Old 07-25-2019, 02:06 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,545,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It doesn't appear the conveyor belt is actually inherently dangerous - that is, there is no where he will be dropped, or crushed, etc.

Looks to me from watching the kind of unclear video that he was just climbing around on suitcases for all he's worth, and somehow, during all this climbing around, broke his hand.

This little one needs a leash. I wonder if airports could strongly encourage parents traveling with very adventuresome toddlers to use them - maybe even provide loaners the way you can rent a cart?

This one is fearless and unaware of potentially dangerous situations.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/25/us/to...rnd/index.html
Needs a parent that is actually responsible.
How do you let a toddler out of your sight in a place like an airport? Said he was gone for 5 min...

Old 07-25-2019, 02:12 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,097,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
This was on spirit airlines They charge for EVERY THING.

Often its cheaper to buy a "Cheap" umbrella stroller, when you get to your destination, And just give it away before you fly back.
That's not true. It's free to gate check a stroller and/or car seat.

https://customersupport.spirit.com/h...oller-onboard-

Old 07-25-2019, 02:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,335,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Children dont need leashes. they need supervision. Mom is at fault here.
I honestly don’t think you should be so hard on this mother. Some very young children do very unexpected things. And for an adventuresome kid like this, maybe some sort of tether would be wise.

In my own case, in spite of paying close attention to my granddaughter, she ran ahead of me once and hopped onto an elevator. The door closed with me standing there yelling, “Wait!” It all ended well, but I had not anticipated her action. And it was scary for me. She seemed OK throughout the experience.

Sometimes kids just do unexpected things.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:23 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,174,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Can't you buy a cheap umbrella stroller that folds pretty small? We used to take those internationally.

Yes, we could. I've had that bouncing around in the back of my mind. I need to put that in the front of my mind and get one. ATL is so, so big. I just love the long walk to the gates especially if my flight is leaving from the last concourse (I think it's a couple of miles walk). I never take the train if I'm by myself...

Old 07-25-2019, 02:26 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,264,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I honestly don’t think you should be so hard on this mother. Some very young children do very unexpected things. And for an adventuresome kid like this, maybe some sort of tether would be wise.

In my own case, in spite of paying close attention to my granddaughter, she ran ahead of me once and hopped onto an elevator. The door closed with me standing there yelling, “Wait!” It all ended well, but I had not anticipated her action. And it was scary for me. She seemed OK throughout the experience.

Sometimes kids just do unexpected things.
I'm not demonizing the mom, my own son broke his finger at 2.5 because he ran off down the stairs without me and got his finger slammed in s door. Kids are wild and unpredictable. But she is at fault because she took her eyes off him. Hopefully she watches him closer in the future. I certainly did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events