Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 02:29 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,631,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Ohmigosh, that is scary! It shouldn't take 5 min. to shut it down!
It probably took that long to route him to a non-automated area of the conveyor so somebody could see him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He got on at the access point where people remove their luggage. You have to allow people access to the belt, otherwise, how would they get their luggage?

And then, he rode the thing all the way into the baggage loading area.
I don't know how to be sure from the limited angle on the video, but it has always been my experience that luggage on the pickup side of the system circles and does not head back to the screening rooms. I strongly suspect that he climbed on at the checkin area, not the pickup area. I wonder if he was run through any of those high intensity xray scanners on the way to the screening area. Would make sense to scan before the bags are kicked out to the manual screeners rather than make them hand check every bag.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
That kid was lucky that he didn’t reach a point where the “kicker” boots a bag to a different belt.
LOL watch the video again. He did.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:40 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,136,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
A child is strapped into a stroller so that they don't fall out. It is a safety mechanism.

A leash is used for small animals who cannot understand instructions. A two year old child who is not mentally impaired is capable of following simple instructions for short periods of time.
Ahhh, the old "that's different". The PP was asking why not use a stroller, presumably for restraint.

The safety of the child is paramount. You don't expect a two year old to behave like an older child. There is research that shows that parents are more lenient with their boys, which is why they get in more accidents. As a pediatric nurse, I can verify that.
Parenting skills: Parent supervision in injury prevention | Encyclopedia on Early Childhood Development

Quote:
The majority of toddlers are not walking around leashed, and are not dying in great numbers.
Injury is the leading cause of death in kids.
https://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en...tics-90-P02853

Old 07-25-2019, 05:06 PM

9,549 posts, read 7,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Ahhh, the old "that's different". The PP was asking why not use a stroller, presumably for restraint.

The safety of the child is paramount. You don't expect a two year old to behave like an older child. There is research that shows that parents are more lenient with their boys, which is why they get in more accidents. As a pediatric nurse, I can verify that.
Parenting skills: Parent supervision in injury prevention | Encyclopedia on Early Childhood Development

Injury is the leading cause of death in kids.
https://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en...tics-90-P02853
Partly why a parent teaches discipline and regulated behavior from a very young age is so that the child learns to heed the adult in all situations. Children should be taught from a very young age self-control. You can't have a 6 year old on a leash.

I don't expect a 2 year old to act like a 10 year old, but two year olds (without difficulties such as ADHD) can be taught to control their actions for short burts of time. Two year olds can also be redirected and occupied so that they are not getting into something for short periods of time.

A leash is used for animals to restrain them. A stroller is used for children to transport them.

If you really can't see the difference between these two things, I can't help you.

Furthermore, your link discusses children ages 1 -19. The number one cause of death ages 5 and up is auto accidents. (Not in your link). Drowning is the number one cause ages 1 through 4.

Statistically important are deaths by suffocation, poison, home fires, choking, falling, and gunshot wounds.

A leash would not protect a child in any of those circumstances except possibly falling.

If a parent chooses to use a leash, it's no skin off my nose. Whatever works for them. But it is ridiculous to suggest that leashes and strollers are the same thing.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 07-25-2019 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 05:30 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,136,269 times
Quote:
Partly why a parent teaches discipline and regulated behavior from a very young age is so that the child learns to heed the adult in all situations. I don't expect a 2 year old to act like a 10 year old, but two year olds (without difficulties such as ADHD) can be taught to control their actions for short burts of time. Two year olds can also be redirected and occupied so that they are not getting into something for short periods of time.

A leash is used for animals to restrain them. A stroller is used for children to transport them.

If you really can't see the difference between these two things, I really can't help you.

Furthermore, your link discusses children ages 1 -19. The number one cause of death ages 5 and up is auto accidents. (Not in your link). Drowning is the number one cause ages 1 through 4.

Statistically important are deaths by suffocation, poison, home fires, choking, falling, and gunshot wounds.

A leash would not protect a child in any of those circumstances except possibly falling.

If a parent chooses to use a leash, it's no skin off my nose. Whatever works for them. But it is ridiculous to suggest that leashes and strollers are the same thing.
I somehow don't think you've ever traveled by air with a two year old. The idea is to get through the ordeal with everyone in one piece. Your arguments remind me of this thread from about a year ago: https://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...-13-month.html

Posters on there were getting all bent out of shape over the idea of a 13 month old using an Ipad on the plane. "You can't survive with a small child for two hours without an iPad??" and much more, with that particular poster finally recommending a rhythm band! Yeah, great idea on the plane.

In both cases, the object is survival.

I was looking for an article I read specifically about parents supervising boys less and boys getting more injuries. I guess it was in some professional journal (I am a retired pediatric nurse), and not on the web, or not findable by the words I put in Google. So I posted what I could find. I thought "everyone" knew that injuries were the most common cause of death in kids. It's silly to say "The majority of toddlers are not walking around leashed, and are not dying in great numbers." The majority of toddlers are not in a busy airport, either.

I did not ask for, and do not want, your help. Not now, not ever. How condescending!

ETA: https://www.cdc.gov/safechild/child_injury_data.html
Child injury statistics

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-25-2019 at 06:17 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 06:23 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 11 days ago)

35,994 posts, read 18,280,610 times
Quote:
Partly why a parent teaches discipline and regulated behavior from a very young age is so that the child learns to heed the adult in all situations. Children should be taught from a very young age self-control. You can't have a 6 year old on a leash.

I don't expect a 2 year old to act like a 10 year old, but two year olds (without difficulties such as ADHD) can be taught to control their actions for short burts of time. Two year olds can also be redirected and occupied so that they are not getting into something for short periods of time.

If you really can't see the difference between these two things, I can't help you.

This discussion about restraining with a stroller vs. leash came from post #8, LO28 saying that leashes shouldn't be used to corral children; if the mother couldn't keep control of her child, he should be in a stroller not on a leash.

Then there was the debate about restraining children in a stroller vs. a leash.

I think we all know strollers are for transportation, except in post #8, where they are to restrain a wanderer.
("p.s. Mom, ever heard of a stroller?")

Old 07-25-2019, 06:35 PM

480 posts, read 320,658 times
There is nothing wrong with using a leash on a 2-4 year old. Chronological age is not necessarily the most accurate indicator of behavior in children.

And especially when traveling in areas with a crush of people, the child leash can work very well.

Frankly what I am reading here is an insinuation that using a child leash is cruel and debasing to the children. Poppycock! It's just one of many tools a parent may use in unusual, stressful situations.

ANd I can also say I see a lot of small being pushed around in strollers, as well as being on a leash.

Keeping an eye on a child does not physically restrain them at all, compared to a leash or a stroller. A leash is much smaller, lighter, and can be packed in another bag if not worn by the child. An excellent tool.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:37 PM

11,173 posts, read 8,040,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
LOL watch the video again. He did.
No, I’ve seen those things kick a 70 pound bag like 10 feet. It’s a little steel door that jumps out and bumps the bag to a different area. Had he been batted by that thing he’d probably have been killed or seriously injured. I’ve seen them hit hard sided bags and they just exploded.. sending the persons belongings flying.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:37 PM

9,549 posts, read 7,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I somehow don't think you've ever traveled by air with a two year old. The idea is to get through the ordeal with everyone in one piece. Your arguments remind me of this thread from about a year ago: https://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...-13-month.html
We have traveled with our two children by plane, ship, train, and car to multiple countries around the world since they were infants. Perhaps it is condescending of you to think other people don't know anything.

I don't know why you are getting so bent out of shape. I have stated multiple times that I don't have a problem with other parents using leashes. It was not for us, but my children are not their children. You were the one who asked "what is the difference?" and I answered your question.

ETA: as far as the very sad case of toddler's dying, ClaraC mentioned how she would rather her toddler wear a leash than die. I totally understand that and agree with that. But the facts are, the vast majority of children who sadly pass away are not doing so because they are not wearing leashes. These are devastating illness, SIDS, drownings, shootings, car accidents, etc.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 07-25-2019 at 07:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events