Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 04:27 PM

43,668 posts, read 18,709,584 times

Advertisements

If you have a kid that habitually runs off then you need to take extra steps to insure they don't run off when you turn your head. Whether it's a kid leash, harness or you pick them up...the parent is ultimately responsible for their kid.

Sure accidents happen but from the looks of the video this toddler had no fear whatsoever.

He's just lucky that something worse didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 04:36 PM

3,575 posts, read 2,912,430 times
Just watched the video, that kid is awesome and mom/dad have a big job ahead of them.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:46 PM

17,411 posts, read 12,030,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am unwilling to judge the mother. Perhaps she was distracted, perhaps she is not used to managing a fearless child, perhaps many things. Perhaps this is her first child. Why speculate? Why be so judgmental?

Kids do unexpected things. My kids certainly did.

In the video the kid looks older than a toddler. He had no trouble climbing up onto the conveyor. He knew the thing was moving because he put his hands on it first. He had no fear. And he was not killed. And it happened quickly, just like stuff like this usually does.

I have only seen one other parent use a leash. When I saw it, I was surprised. But in a large, crowded area, I think it makes good sense. A stroller works too, although active children rebel against sitting in one too long, or sometimes even for a short time. It is easy for us to pick apart the actions of the mom. But it is pointless. She did not mean for her child to run off. She might be inexperienced or clueless, but she is likely not malicious. She’s been through enough. She was likely frightened out of her wits.

None of us here were perfect parents. And I bet we were all taken by surprise by something our kids did.
I am willing to judge her.

This unwillingness to hold folks accountable for their actions is how kids get hurt, and how companies get blamed (and sued) for things they can't possibly be responsible for. The more we make excuses, the less parents feel obligated to watch their kids.

Yes, accidents surely happen. But THIS accident would NOT have happened if this mother had noticed that her small child had wandered further than a few feet from her.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:52 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,477,843 times
I raised two energetic toddlers (adopted at age one). I also have mobility issues, mainly, rheumatoid arthritis. I've taken my toddlers through malls, airports, Disneyworld, etc. I kept an eagle eye on them both, and used whatever means necessary to restrain them. I used harness and leash for airports and could give a rat's a** who thought what about it! I'm not criticizing the mom in this conveyor belt incident, but I would have kept my two in front of me. But, whatever, we should praise whatever methods a parent uses to keep their children safe! (BTW, shhhhh….., don't tell anyone, but I didn't use a child harness. They were too easy to break out from. I used a dog harness and dog leash. They look exactly the same, but the doggie leash is more sturdy)

Old 07-26-2019, 04:53 PM

32,117 posts, read 27,363,904 times
Isn't this the same airport where vending machine fell onto a child resulting in his death?

Old 07-26-2019, 05:10 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,155,330 times
Are parents ever held responsible? Just about every time I go to the airport I see some kid playing with the luggage belt at baggage claim, putting their tiny fingers where the metal pieces move together. I rarely see their parents say anything. Of course if junior hurt himself there would be a lawsuit and Gofundme immediately.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:52 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,989,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If you have a kid that habitually runs off then you need to take extra steps to insure they don't run off when you turn your head. Whether it's a kid leash, harness or you pick them up...the parent is ultimately responsible for their kid.

Sure accidents happen but from the looks of the video this toddler had no fear whatsoever.

He's just lucky that something worse didn't happen.
The OP got herself into a indefensible box the last few pages by focusing on an object and not the issue as a whole - the broader issue and the broader risks of leaving a child unattended, even for a moment. She should have left well enough alone, presented the topic as a point of concern, and just stood back without commenting.

What are the control steps here? We can put a huge wall around the check in counter impervious to children and at great expense, that will take care of a fraction of the dangers of leaving an unattended child in an airport and invite other issues. But it doesn't address the root cause or the myriad of other issues that may occurs with separation from a parent.
I'm not going to blame the mother except to disagree with her conclusion that she was "momentarily distracted". The child was gone, we don't know how long but he was gone, wandering the airport on his own. Instead I will present an article on options to address the real issue - keeping your toddler safe and secure in an airport. This has pros and cons to each approach. A family should consider which one works best for them:

https://journeysofthefabulist.wordpr...illing-anyone/

This also has some suggestions:

https://www.mamamia.com.au/travellin...irport-safety/

Old 07-26-2019, 06:52 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 11 days ago)

35,992 posts, read 18,280,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The OP got herself into a indefensible box the last few pages by focusing on an object and not the issue as a whole - the broader issue and the broader risks of leaving a child unattended, even for a moment. She should have left well enough alone, presented the topic as a point of concern, and just stood back without commenting.

What are the control steps here? We can put a huge wall around the check in counter impervious to children and at great expense, that will take care of a fraction of the dangers of leaving an unattended child in an airport and invite other issues. But it doesn't address the root cause or the myriad of other issues that may occurs with separation from a parent.
I'm not going to blame the mother except to disagree with her conclusion that she was "momentarily distracted". The child was gone, we don't know how long but he was gone, wandering the airport on his own. Instead I will present an article on options to address the real issue - keeping your toddler safe and secure in an airport. This has pros and cons to each approach. A family should consider which one works best for them:

https://journeysofthefabulist.wordpr...illing-anyone/

This also has some suggestions:

https://www.mamamia.com.au/travellin...irport-safety/
What? I'm the OP. This isn't a debate. This is a current events discussion.

Those are two different topics.

1. This child should have been leashed, because he's fearless.

2. After posting this, I was made aware that that belt isn't in fact the luggage belt that travelers get their luggage off; it's the belt that the airline employees use to deposit checked luggage so it gets placed on the plane. At that point, I said well that's truly a TERRIBLE problem; that even a baby can access that checkpoint that isn't monitored.

This isn't a debate that someone can win. It's a chat about this amazingly fearless little one, and then a sidebar about how this airport has surprisingly easy access that any one in the public could place a piece of luggage on that belt and get it on to the plane, without checking it.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:37 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,936,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It doesn't appear the conveyor belt is actually inherently dangerous - that is, there is no where he will be dropped, or crushed, etc.

Looks to me from watching the kind of unclear video that he was just climbing around on suitcases for all he's worth, and somehow, during all this climbing around, broke his hand.

This little one needs a leash. I wonder if airports could strongly encourage parents traveling with very adventuresome toddlers to use them - maybe even provide loaners the way you can rent a cart?

This one is fearless and unaware of potentially dangerous situations.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/25/us/to...rnd/index.html

I'm not sure what has happened to good parenting in this world, but everyday, I see some kid running amuck and the parents are paying no attention, or thinking their little darling is just the cutest ever.

We are raising a whole new generation of kids who will think the rules do not apply to them.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:38 AM

10,117 posts, read 19,477,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'm not sure what has happened to good parenting in this world, but everyday, I see some kid running amuck and the parents are paying no attention, or thinking their little darling is just the cutest ever.

We are raising a whole new generation of kids who will think the rules do not apply to them.

Rules? What rules? Kids nowadays run the show. We must consider their feelings, first, foremost, and always! You can't scream at junior "you come back here! Don't you dare touch that!" without getting arrested for child abuse!

No, instead, you're never supposed to raise your voice -- even if the kid is running down the street away from you. Instead, you're supposed to say "That's a really interesting conveyor belt. I can see how curious you are. I bet you'd like to ride it and see where it goes! But it makes mommy feel scared to see you get on it. It could be a bad conveyor belt, not like the rides at Disneyworld! " Help Mommy feel good, and stay away from it, ok?" There, that's a good Mommy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events