Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 07:35 AM

15,519 posts, read 9,219,707 times

Advertisements

What I find kind of disturbing is that he was on the conveyor belt for almost five full minutes. It looks like they pushed the emergency shut off button. But it was too late he was already in another part of the system. You would think they would have a master button to shut the entire system down. Not being able to shut the entire system down quickly could be a serious security issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 08:06 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,167,170 times
This episode is the direct result of the free range "parenting" style we're increasingly seeing these days. Personally, I can't stand either the stupid parents OR the stupid kids.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:18 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 1 day ago)

35,877 posts, read 18,189,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
This episode is the direct result of the free range "parenting" style we're increasingly seeing these days. Personally, I can't stand either the stupid parents OR the stupid kids.
When I was a little older than that boy, my mother was at the airport with my sister and me, both preschoolers. I wandered away, and found one of those little velvet rope things that direct line up flow. I stuck my index finger in the brass hole that the brass hook on the velvet rope goes in.

My finger got stuck.

They had to find someone who could go get a handful of liquid soap out of the bathroom and lube my hand, and pull it out. The plane was delayed a few minutes.

I don't really think it's "kids these days" or "parents these days". It's kids. They do the darndest things.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:24 PM

21,273 posts, read 19,896,453 times
Might not be a bad idea to include children in checked baggage. Would save the person seated in front of him from having their seatback kicked the whole flight.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:01 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,067,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
When I was a little older than that boy, my mother was at the airport with my sister and me, both preschoolers. I wandered away, and found one of those little velvet rope things that direct line up flow. I stuck my index finger in the brass hole that the brass hook on the velvet rope goes in.

My finger got stuck.

They had to find someone who could go get a handful of liquid soap out of the bathroom and lube my hand, and pull it out. The plane was delayed a few minutes.

I don't really think it's "kids these days" or "parents these days". It's kids. They do the darndest things.
Too true! And in a situation like an airport, with tons of stimulation, even the most mild-mannered kid can get out of hand.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:51 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,930,353 times
Part of the issue is that the typical airport check-in desk was placed at a time when every single passenger (or one person from a small party flying together) had to present themselves there to exchange paper ticket for boarding pass. These days with online check-in and kiosk check-in and fewer passengers checking a bag because of bag fees, there are a lot fewer gate agents covering the same amount of counter real estate the airline negotiated as part of their 2003 contract with the airport. It's common to only see 20-50% of the check-in spaces in use for airline employees in many airports during normal times of the year. So you get gaps at the luggage scales at empty counters and gate agents who are so dug into trying to help a passenger who needs something the kiosk can't provide, say a winter booking to Maine that reroutes a passenger around a scheduled connection in Boston that is now impacted by a blizzard, that they don't necessarily look to the side and monitor other vacant counters because they don't expect anyone to step into their counter space areas.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:19 PM

656 posts, read 1,379,476 times
In the world we live in it's possible to get a minor injury. So what? why is it so important to find someone to blame and make such a big deal out of it? For crying out loud things heal, you don't need to lawyer up every time you cut yourself. If I had to blame somebody or find a lawyer every time I sprained an ankle or hurt my hand I would have never had time to live my life or have a career.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:32 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 1 day ago)

35,877 posts, read 18,189,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
In the world we live in it's possible to get a minor injury. So what? why is it so important to find someone to blame and make such a big deal out of it? For crying out loud things heal, you don't need to lawyer up every time you cut yourself. If I had to blame somebody or find a lawyer every time I sprained an ankle or hurt my hand I would have never had time to live my life or have a career.
AMEN. THANK YOU.

All's well that ends well. This fearless toddler got on that luggage belt, and came off with only a broken hand.

Warning to his mother: leash that little one.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:04 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,082,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
All's well that ends well. This fearless toddler got on that luggage belt, and came off with only a broken hand.
The article you linked to in the first post says his hand was bruised, not broken. Are other sources claiming something different?

Old 07-27-2019, 11:20 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,067,249 times
^^Two articles that say hand was fractured (one from a PI attorney):
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/2-y...belt/969480179
https://www.montlick.com/montlick-bl...eorgia-airport

And more: https://www.businessinsider.com/boy-...airport-2019-7
https://news.yahoo.com/toddler-injur...181703504.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events