Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 08:01 PM

22,703 posts, read 24,777,812 times

Advertisements

I believe that is a Nanny-Dog.......maybe it was confused???? ☻
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 09:40 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,069,258 times
We need more people like this guy in our community. For him to take an attack from a dog selflessly to save someone else's makes him a true hero. Bless his heart.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:13 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,297,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Good work by the fast thinking teen.

Irresponsible dog owners, can't stand em. Just got to catch them off leash, take them to a shelter 2 towns away, and the irresponsible owners never get the chance to be irresponsible again. I'm not going to endanger my children because some bozo thinks it's cool to let his dog roam.
This.

Amen.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:22 AM

5,303 posts, read 5,280,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I have always had dogs who play rough... with other rough dogs. Mentally healthy dogs learn very quickly how much pressure and wild play their companion can tolerate. They adjust down for smaller dogs and really adjust down for humans.

Normal mentally stable dogs treat human babies the same as they treat puppies. It is hard wired into their brains to pull their punches and not be any rougher than the puppy can tolerate safely.

Dog play often looks and sounds rougher than it is. It can involve a lot of sound and fury but all biting is controlled so that skin is not broken.

I'd be very alarmed by a dog that thought it was OK to treat a human baby like he was a soccer ball. There is something wrong with that dog's wiring.

Chasing the teen did not look like play to me. I admire the teen's courage to put himself into danger to protect the child.

The dog should be PTS. He's not a safe animal.
Thats why I hate pit bulls. They always go after and kill tiny defenseless pets. Bully breed is the perfect name for them. Awful awful dogs. Our shelters would be out of business if they would just kill all the ones that come in.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:59 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,449,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Interesting, when I watched the video and audio from kvue again, I got a different perspective.

I don't think the child suffered any bite marks at all, despite the pit bull appearing to attack him for quite awhile. He had a flesh injury to the back of his head, where he landed on the concrete after the dog jumped on him.

Then, when the man came running up, the dog abandoned the boy quickly and chased the man. The only bite mark the man has was from when he was pushing the dog off him and accidentally put his hands in the dog's mouth, as per the man's statement.

I probably will be attacked for saying this, but this is MUCH more in keeping with Pit Bull behavior. He was just playing way, way too hard and aggressively, and with dominance behaviors.

He wasn't intending to kill the boy, or the man. He was playing like a great big aggressive clumsy oaf.

(I say this, because I have a lot of experience walking pit bulls just like this at the Shelter. They try to play WAY too aggressively, and if you don't take the alpha position, yes, they'll knock you over and pin you down and you're likely to get hurt and need help.)

At this point, the dog won't be returned to the owner or neighborhood, which is a good thing.

But unlike this situation, when a Pit Bull decides to attack, you have to have a weapon with you to get them to release their prey, and even then, it's not likely. Another person running up on the scene 15 feet away, won't cause the dog to relent, unless his intent is just aggressive play as this case appears to be. This is a dog who is behaving as if he's establishing a hierarchy with peers, and he's way over the top.
I agree with this. One dog that bit me had to be hit on the head with a cast iron skillet several times. Another with a baseball bat. At no point did the dogs chase me, etc.

It doesn’t seem like the dog attacked Brown after he tripped.

In all the cases I’m aware of around here the dog inflicted severe injuries within seconds, and would not leave the victims for any distraction.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:23 PM

6,418 posts, read 4,150,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Ive been trying to adopt a dog for 2 years from the shelters; Im looking for a chi or chi mix. 95% of the dogs in the shelters are pit bulls. If it werent for pitt bulls, shelters would be out of business.
Yup. Pitbulls have been overwhelming shelters for years now.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:32 PM

32,785 posts, read 48,595,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
..........but I see them loose on the streets, no collars, owned by guys who don't know anything about training dogs to be happy and well adjusted pets, and don't handle them properly. ............

This is a very good point. If a pitbull, or any other breed of dog, is running around loose in a neighborhood, there is an extremely high chance that the dog belongs to someone who doesn't know how to properly care for or how to properly train a dog.

People with well trained dogs who take proper care of their dogs, do not allow the dog to roam unattended around family neighborhoods. People with properly cared for dogs make an effort to make sure the dog is properly contained and kept safe, away from trouble and away from danger.

So it is safer to assume that loose pitbulls, or loose miniature poodles (NV Plumber), are dogs who are short on training. They might possibly be loved, but they have not been properly trained or properly cared for. That does not mean that the dog has been abused, however, and it does not mean the dog will attack because it has been abused and trained to bite.

It just means to be cautious around them.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:37 PM

^Right. All dogs should be kept in check. The other day I got bitten by a yorkie-poo or whatever it is. Can’t stand little dogs. My ankle bled all over the place.

Last month a standard poodle got me in the thigh in the lobby of a retirement home. I wanted to kick it. I was greeting his owner, a new resident. She pretended not to notice. Aaargh.

Standard poodles were actually bred to be hunting dogs.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 07-29-2019 at 02:05 PM..

Old 07-29-2019, 01:58 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,157,102 times
I'm just glad it didn't end in a fatality. Sometimes its important to look at the facts and make a judgement (see link). Pitbulls kill overwhelmingly more people than any other breed. Rottweilers, German Shepherds and dobermans also are over represented although not nearly to the extent of Pitbulls. It shouldn't be surprising that dogs specifically bred for war/fighting are much more dangerous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_...lities_in_2019

Old 07-29-2019, 02:23 PM

Got a few nice bites from shepherds, but rarely see Rotts.

In any case, this particular case could’ve been so, so much worse.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 07-29-2019 at 02:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events