Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 07:01 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,252,686 times

Advertisements

Pitbulls are such crappy dogs. Two months ago, a co-worker's 15 year old Yorkie was attacked and killed by one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 07:02 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,524,640 times
It's so weird to see a dog act like that.

Horrible.

What a brave guy.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:05 PM

35,823 posts, read 18,164,828 times
Interesting, when I watched the video and audio from kvue again, I got a different perspective.

I don't think the child suffered any bite marks at all, despite the pit bull appearing to attack him for quite awhile. He had a flesh injury to the back of his head, where he landed on the concrete after the dog jumped on him.

Then, when the man came running up, the dog abandoned the boy quickly and chased the man. The only bite mark the man has was from when he was pushing the dog off him and accidentally put his hands in the dog's mouth, as per the man's statement.

I probably will be attacked for saying this, but this is MUCH more in keeping with Pit Bull behavior. He was just playing way, way too hard and aggressively, and with dominance behaviors.

He wasn't intending to kill the boy, or the man. He was playing like a great big aggressive clumsy oaf.

(I say this, because I have a lot of experience walking pit bulls just like this at the Shelter. They try to play WAY too aggressively, and if you don't take the alpha position, yes, they'll knock you over and pin you down and you're likely to get hurt and need help.)

At this point, the dog won't be returned to the owner or neighborhood, which is a good thing.

But unlike this situation, when a Pit Bull decides to attack, you have to have a weapon with you to get them to release their prey, and even then, it's not likely. Another person running up on the scene 15 feet away, won't cause the dog to relent, unless his intent is just aggressive play as this case appears to be. This is a dog who is behaving as if he's establishing a hierarchy with peers, and he's way over the top.

Last edited by ClaraC; 07-25-2019 at 07:19 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 07:07 PM

10,033 posts, read 8,706,667 times
We have this " Pet of the Week " segment on our local news where they showcase an animal that's up for adoption. I never see cats or rabbits on there, it's always a dog and almost always a pitbull. They need to change the name of that segment.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:57 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,766,518 times
That young man truly IS a hero. Many people would not have had the courage to do what he did, given the almost inevitable consequence.

These stories involving "man's best friend" make my blood boil. Pit Bulls may be the worst offenders, but by no means are they the only dangerous dogs. NO dog can be trusted....and NO dog should ever be unrestrained in a public setting. Consequences to the sociopathic owners whose irresponsibility enables these tragic events should be too terrible to risk. And, needless to say, that attack should be the last thing that despicable animal ever does.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:09 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,133,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Interesting, when I watched the video and audio from kvue again, I got a different perspective.

I don't think the child suffered any bite marks at all, despite the pit bull appearing to attack him for quite awhile. He had a flesh injury to the back of his head, where he landed on the concrete after the dog jumped on him.

Then, when the man came running up, the dog abandoned the boy quickly and chased the man. The only bite mark the man has was from when he was pushing the dog off him and accidentally put his hands in the dog's mouth, as per the man's statement.

I probably will be attacked for saying this, but this is MUCH more in keeping with Pit Bull behavior. He was just playing way, way too hard and aggressively, and with dominance behaviors.

He wasn't intending to kill the boy, or the man. He was playing like a great big aggressive clumsy oaf.

(I say this, because I have a lot of experience walking pit bulls just like this at the Shelter. They try to play WAY too aggressively, and if you don't take the alpha position, yes, they'll knock you over and pin you down and you're likely to get hurt and need help.)

At this point, the dog won't be returned to the owner or neighborhood, which is a good thing.

But unlike this situation, when a Pit Bull decides to attack, you have to have a weapon with you to get them to release their prey, and even then, it's not likely. Another person running up on the scene 15 feet away, won't cause the dog to relent, unless his intent is just aggressive play as this case appears to be. This is a dog who is behaving as if he's establishing a hierarchy with peers, and he's way over the top.
I thought the same thing (the dog was rough playing) as I watched the video.

A very heroic young man.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:00 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,840,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That young man truly IS a hero. Many people would not have had the courage to do what he did, given the almost inevitable consequence.

These stories involving "man's best friend" make my blood boil. Pit Bulls may be the worst offenders, but by no means are they the only dangerous dogs. NO dog can be trusted....and NO dog should ever be unrestrained in a public setting. Consequences to the sociopathic owners whose irresponsibility enables these tragic events should be too terrible to risk. And, needless to say, that attack should be the last thing that despicable animal ever does.
Unfortunately we have a few people in our neighborhood who walk their dogs with "electronic leashes". The state leash law here says that dogs must be leashed or "restrained" unless being actively used in a hunting situation. I think the law originally meant "restrained by a fence", but these people seem to think that their electronic leash is the same as a real leash. One lady walks her two large dogs together like this and I know she is going to get a rude awakening when they are triggered by a prey animal (which could be someone else's yorkie) and go ballistic. She just THINKS she can control them. Even with a real leash I wonder how much control a 115 pound 68 year old woman really has over two 120 lb dogs.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:15 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,766,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Unfortunately we have a few people in our neighborhood who walk their dogs with "electronic leashes". The state leash law here says that dogs must be leashed or "restrained" unless being actively used in a hunting situation. I think the law originally meant "restrained by a fence", but these people seem to think that their electronic leash is the same as a real leash. One lady walks her two large dogs together like this and I know she is going to get a rude awakening when they are triggered by a prey animal (which could be someone else's yorkie) and go ballistic. She just THINKS she can control them. Even with a real leash I wonder how much control a 115 pound 68 year old woman really has over two 120 lb dogs.
I had never heard of an "electronic leash", so I had to google it. I gather it's just an alarm? That's no kind of leash at all!

Doesn't surprise me a bit, though, that idiot dog owners would try to get around the law this way. And it doesn't take prey to make dogs menacing - any dogs. And 120 lb dogs? I'd be calling animal control or the police on sight.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:16 AM

1,299 posts, read 827,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

I largely agree with your assessment, ClaraC. That wasn't an attack, that was inappropriate play. Scary for the boys, and totally not acceptable behaviour in a dog towards a human. But not an attack. Kudos to the teenager for helping the little guy out!

Dogs that aren't properly trained when young learn to use their doggy play style on humans. Dogs wrestle, bite and scratch at each other. They play hard. People are more prone to injury when dogs do that to them than other dogs are.

The number one reason that people surrender dogs to my shelter is because the dog is a young adult now and the puppy behaviour of jumping and biting isn't cute anymore. And they did nothing to train the dog out of that behaviour. I train and do behaviour modification on the dogs we get, and my coworkers and I are often bruised from dogs like the one in the video. Occasionally the dog draws blood, usually with what we identify as a "tooth scrape". That is very different from an aggressive "attack" where a dog means to bite you. When a dog means to bite, they bite, and the person gets actually punctured. Dogs have crazy control over their mouths. People aren't fast enough to get away when a dog really means to get you.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:20 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,260,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
We have this " Pet of the Week " segment on our local news where they showcase an animal that's up for adoption. I never see cats or rabbits on there, it's always a dog and almost always a pitbull. They need to change the name of that segment.
Ive been trying to adopt a dog for 2 years from the shelters; Im looking for a chi or chi mix. 95% of the dogs in the shelters are pit bulls. If it werent for pitt bulls, shelters would be out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events