Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 09:57 AM

18,163 posts, read 15,687,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I knew it was a pitbull before even reading the story. These dogs should just be universally banned, the breed is too unpredictable and aggressive.

Meh. It's truly not the dogs it's the owners. I guarantee you I could turn a toy poodle nasty and mean. I'm not a pit bull fan but that's just because I don't like bull breeds in general. I'm a stock dog guy. If an animal has been raised to be vicious it will be.

I had a Siberian Husky mix dog once. My homeowners insurance dropped me because she was considered a "vicious" breed. She was the sweetest and most harmless dog I ever had. She would not bite in defense of her own life. She was a big fluffy snowball and a total family pet. The only thing dangerous about her was her friendly enthusiasm.

A dog who has not been properly socialized and taught to be mean is going to be dangerous regardless of breed. The only dog bite I ever suffered that drew blood was a frigging Yorky. This dog was a nasty rodent. People who keep and teach vicious animals are the issue. Not the animal itself.

That being said I did have a dog go bad on me once. He was never taught to be vicious but he did turn that way. And I ended him. I sure wasn't going to keep an animal like that around. But some people think it's "cool" to keep a vicious dog. It's not. Such animals are nothing but a liability and a danger to the neighborhood. Some animals do just go bad but in the greatest number of cases they were made that way. By stupid people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:56 AM

1,299 posts, read 828,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Ive been trying to adopt a dog for 2 years from the shelters; Im looking for a chi or chi mix. 95% of the dogs in the shelters are pit bulls. If it werent for pitt bulls, shelters would be out of business.
I work in an area that has had a ban on pit bull-type dogs for over 25 years. I assure you, our shelter is not out of business! People who who want a "tough" dog just mix the various bully types with any of the wide range of mastiffs. None of them are well bred, of course - backyard bred genetic nightmares most of them. Lots of them are sweet, fortunately. Some of them aren't. If we do get a dog that looks very APBT or Staffy, we will adopt them out to people who don't live in our city. Dumb, but we don't make the laws!

Old 07-26-2019, 12:06 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,953,607 times
A very brave young man. He's a hero in my book.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:51 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,262,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That young man truly IS a hero. Many people would not have had the courage to do what he did, given the almost inevitable consequence.

These stories involving "man's best friend" make my blood boil. Pit Bulls may be the worst offenders, but by no means are they the only dangerous dogs. NO dog can be trusted....and NO dog should ever be unrestrained in a public setting. Consequences to the sociopathic owners whose irresponsibility enables these tragic events should be too terrible to risk. And, needless to say, that attack should be the last thing that despicable animal ever does.
Here we go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Meh. It's truly not the dogs it's the owners. I guarantee you I could turn a toy poodle nasty and mean. I'm not a pit bull fan but that's just because I don't like bull breeds in general. I'm a stock dog guy. If an animal has been raised to be vicious it will be.

I had a Siberian Husky mix dog once. My homeowners insurance dropped me because she was considered a "vicious" breed. She was the sweetest and most harmless dog I ever had. She would not bite in defense of her own life. She was a big fluffy snowball and a total family pet. The only thing dangerous about her was her friendly enthusiasm.

A dog who has not been properly socialized and taught to be mean is going to be dangerous regardless of breed. The only dog bite I ever suffered that drew blood was a frigging Yorky. This dog was a nasty rodent. People who keep and teach vicious animals are the issue. Not the animal itself.

That being said I did have a dog go bad on me once. He was never taught to be vicious but he did turn that way. And I ended him. I sure wasn't going to keep an animal like that around. But some people think it's "cool" to keep a vicious dog. It's not. Such animals are nothing but a liability and a danger to the neighborhood. Some animals do just go bad but in the greatest number of cases they were made that way. By stupid people.
I'm so glad my wolf/husky (maybe some husky, def wolf) was not on any list back in 1970! Like I say over and over again, best "dog" of two I ever had.

Perhaps the dog that went bad on you had a brain tumor or something really hurting so it acted out. Animals suffer lots of what we do. One of my cats had a brain tumor.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,515,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Here we go again.

I'm so glad my wolf/husky (maybe some husky, def wolf) was not on any list back in 1970! Like I say over and over again, best "dog" of two I ever had.

Perhaps the dog that went bad on you had a brain tumor or something really hurting so it acted out. Animals suffer lots of what we do. One of my cats had a brain tumor.

Back in 1970 it was Dobermans. I forget what the "scary dog breed du jour" was before that and after that, but there's always some dog breed that those with an overwhelming need to label will say is, as a breed, dangerous.

It is absolutely true that it is not the breed, but the person who needs to make themselves feel dangerous by mistreating a dog and owning a breed with a reputation that is the problem. And some of us play into that by painting an entire breed with a single paintbrush instead of recognizing the abuse that is being done to dogs by this kind of person warping their natures for his or her own ends.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:42 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 17 hours ago)

35,875 posts, read 18,189,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Back in 1970 it was Dobermans. I forget what the "scary dog breed du jour" was before that and after that, but there's always some dog breed that those with an overwhelming need to label will say is, as a breed, dangerous.

It is absolutely true that it is not the breed, but the person who needs to make themselves feel dangerous by mistreating a dog and owning a breed with a reputation that is the problem. And some of us play into that by painting an entire breed with a single paintbrush instead of recognizing the abuse that is being done to dogs by this kind of person warping their natures for his or her own ends.
Was there a badass breed before Dobermans? A breed that families would CHOOSE to own because they were frightening to everyone else and was likely to attack without provocation?

I don't recall that. I recall that any dog that was aggressive to humans was shot.

Except of course, those specifically trained by law enforcement to do guard duty. OR, dogs who aggressed with obvious justification, doing their jobs as protectors of the family.

Even Pit Bull Dogs, owned by dog fighters would be shot for any aggression against humans.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:49 AM

12,916 posts, read 9,175,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Was there a badass breed before Dobermans? A breed that families would CHOOSE to own because they were frightening to everyone else and was likely to attack without provocation?...
As I recall before the Dobermans it was the German Shepard. They were known as one man dogs. They would bond with one person/family, but be aggressive against anyone else. Family across the street from us had one with a binary personality. He could be sweet as can be, just licking you and wanting his belly scratched one day and come out full fangs and biting the next.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:31 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,930,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

The full name of that breed is Yorkshire terrier, implying that the breed was developed to kill rats and other rodents. Rats are nasty and aggressive and a working terrier had to be able to hold its own and match that aggression level. I’ve often felt that as that breed has gone from working dog to house pet, too much emphasis has been in the dog’s physical appearance and not nearly enough focus has been on breeding for temperament better suiting a pet serving as a house pet/lap animal

So you often get this hyper aggressive dog that gets a pass because it’s too small to do significant harm to humans when it does attack

Old 07-27-2019, 08:53 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,259,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Ive been trying to adopt a dog for 2 years from the shelters; Im looking for a chi or chi mix. 95% of the dogs in the shelters are pit bulls. If it werent for pitt bulls, shelters would be out of business.
Where do you live? I had the same problem years ago when I lived in the Boston area. Any small dog in the animal shelters was quickly adopted out. Or... if the shelter dog was a purebred, the purebred rescues would snap them up. So what I ended up doing was adopting dogs that I found through Petfinder. And I would drive down to pick them up. I got my best dogs that way. But there are pet transports that can bring the dog up to you for a fee. I enjoy road trips, so it was no big deal for me to go south for a pet.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:06 AM

10,222 posts, read 7,637,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So much bad news, so it's nice to see we still have a lot of good, selfless young people out there.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teen-resc...174814181.html
The teen's hand was injured. I hope it heals completely. A hand is very important....it has all those nerves. If damaged, it could bother him or limit him the rest of his life. I hope it heals completely.

He should get an award from the city; he likely saved that child's life. The dog was biting the child's head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events