Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 06:22 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How do you not know what you picked out at the grocery store? Seems odd that you would need a cashier to explain to you what you are buying.
I don't know the difference between broccoli crowns, and bulk broccoli. Sorry. I'm not sure what variety apple I've chosen.

Lemons. Are they large, or not? I don't know, they're lemons.

Have you never had the experience of a checker looking at your produce, and asking you what it is? Because I have. That's a kumquat. That's a dragon fruit.

I sincerely doubt, when I myself am self-checking and wonder what it is I have here, they necessarily know either. Whoever created the self-check database, they would know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 06:26 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,689 times
I consider people who shoplift via self scanning as the same type of people who throw litter out of their car window, don't return shopping carts, cut people off when driving...just total selfish losers.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I consider people who shoplift via self scanning as the same type of people who throw litter out of their car window, don't return shopping carts, cut people off when driving...just total selfish losers.
Touche.

The same kind of people who don't flush a public toilet when they're finished using it, or don't pick up their garbage at McDonalds and stick it in the trash can on the way out.

People who have a chip on their shoulder, and are doing anything they can to make life a little more difficult for anyone they can.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:53 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Have you never had the experience of a checker looking at your produce, and asking you what it is? Because I have. That's a kumquat. That's a dragon fruit.
Of course, but they're not the ones who wants to buy the item that was hand selected from the produce department. I just can't imagine picking something out and them having no clue what I am buying.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Of course, but they're not the ones who wants to buy the item that was hand selected from the produce department. I just can't imagine picking something out and them having no clue what I am buying.
Large grapefruit vs. grapefruit?

I'm sorry, when I'm in the grocery store getting my 70 items, I don't have the kind of bandwidth to notice whether the grapefruit I'm buying is a "large grapefruit" or a "grapefruit".

Old 07-28-2019, 07:31 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
I love self-checkout and am not a thief.
I know many people that choose a cashier because they believe they are creating jobs.
I know others that "like to be the waited on" when they pay money.
Me, I wanna get in and out asap.

I have had many more incorrect prices from cashiers (not their fault in some cases) and over-rings due to too-sensitive scanners. Control freaks like me love self-scanners.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:44 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I guess this isnt too surprising, that so many people are 'gaming' the grocery store self checkout systems!Its interesting to think about though, as one person in the comments attempted to justify the theft since the stores are basically charging you to do work they should be doing, ( I will admit, I never thought about it like that).

Im curious to see what you guys think, is it theft or payment for work performed at the store?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
I'm sure it is factored in when they make the business decision. Just like securing anything, you put systems in place to reduce theft but at some threshold it becomes increasing expensive and diminishing returns unacceptable.

In the case of self checkout systems, the loss in the theft is weighed against the benefit and cost to add extra human manned checkouts.

Me I use both. Self checkout when I have just a handful of items. If I go in with a cart, I'm going to use regular checkout. If I go in with a hand basket, I'm going through self checkouts. I'm certainly no thief. I surmise it depends on the customers and I'm sure the business is tracking with inventory.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:51 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Large grapefruit vs. grapefruit?

I'm sorry, when I'm in the grocery store getting my 70 items, I don't have the kind of bandwidth to notice whether the grapefruit I'm buying is a "large grapefruit" or a "grapefruit".

What does the sign say that's with the produce when you pick it up off of the shelf? What does the little sticker that is stuck on the grapefruit say?

But a little help for you for the future: broccoli has large stems. Broccoli crowns have very short stems, because the stems have been cut off. It's not hard to tell them apart.

And you simply grab an onion without looking at the sign that says what it is or the price? Everything in the produce section is labeled and priced and if an identity sticker will stick to it, it has a sticker on it.

I suggest that you stick to the live cashier who can tell a red onion from a yellow onion and then you no longer need to call your onion the cheapest variety, regardless of what it really is. Sneaking out an organic Walla Walla onion by calling it a bulk yellow onion is still theft with no excuses allowed.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:14 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Who didn't see this coming?

The public acts as foolish employees who see no reason to be paid for their work. Stores with self-scanners don't have to paid employees because of the public's eagerness to work without compensation just because it's quicker.

I've been against self-scanners since their conception. I refuse to use them until I'm given a discount for acting as an agent of the store.

However, stealing is not justifiable.
I find this way of thinking odd. You could as easily turn this around, and think that since using the scanners allows the retailer to keep prices in check, “I’m all in.”

Personally, I use the self scanners when doing so will save me time. Honestly, I prioritize my time as much as I do money. I hate standing in line, especially if I only have a few items. Having the scanners there does give me a choice.

It is interesting how you, and others, stand on this principle. You seem to think the store owes you something. In reality, the store owes you nothing, except honesty. You are owed whatever quality level the store advertises, and you are owed fair computation of posted prices. In other words—honesty. The other things retailers do, such as taking returns, offering delivery, putting ATMs on premises, and bagging your purchases are done on their initiative and dime. You are probably receiving some of their free services now. Why do you feel you are owed a human checker?

Old 07-28-2019, 08:18 AM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What does the sign say that's with the produce when you pick it up off of the shelf? What does the little sticker that is stuck on the grapefruit say?

But a little help for you for the future: broccoli has large stems. Broccoli crowns have very short stems, because the stems have been cut off. It's not hard to tell them apart.

And you simply grab an onion without looking at the sign that says what it is or the price? Everything in the produce section is labeled and priced and if an identity sticker will stick to it, it has a sticker on it.

I suggest that you stick to the live cashier who can tell a red onion from a yellow onion and then you no longer need to call your onion the cheapest variety, regardless of what it really is. Sneaking out an organic Walla Walla onion by calling it a bulk yellow onion is still theft with no excuses allowed.

ITA, I always know exactly what kind of onions or apples I have in my cart. I will use self check out if it is empty , & the regular check outs have long lines, & I only have a few things. I do not cheat on it. Years ago, there was a newly established chain in CA, called Fresh & Easy. I shopped there alot, there was only self check out, but I did not mind, because the prices were competitive, plus they carried more unique items. All the produce however, was either bagged or clam shelled, so it was scan only, none of this looking at pictures, I only needed a cashier when buying wine. Anyhow, they closed down. But I never stole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events