Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 05:32 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In HEB and Walmart they have.

There are signs at different items "price drop", and Walmart even had a campaign "watch for falling prices".
It's a typical sales gimmick. Lots of stores have sale items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 05:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's a typical sales gimmick. Lots of stores have sale items.
Well, here's an NPR article explaining why food costs are falling.

The graph at the bottom shows a weird blip in 2010, where food prices fell dramatically, not sure why, and then went back up to near normal.

The general line of the graph is downward, adjusted for inflation.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...did-you-notice

But no, to answer your question, the very very minimal savings a grocery store saves by having a percentage of people check their own groceries while an employee supervises them at about a 1/4 ratio won't cause a large decrease in food prices. If they automated the ENTIRE CHECK OUT process, with no choice for self-check, that still wouldn't cause your jelly and eggs to have a marked decrease in price.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:21 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Grocery stores have not lowered prices after installing self checkout lanes.
Food prices have been kept remarkably flat though. In short term trends. Long term food prices as a share of income have fallen dramatically. Used to take twice as much of a typical family budget in 1960.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:37 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
My neighbor said the rotisserie chicken was mispriced as coleslaw at $2. She had never been through the self checkout and that was her first time. A checker would have noticed
I'm shocked that it went through. Everyplace I've been to has had a corresponding weight. If things don't add up on the scale in the baggage area, the whole process comes to a stop until a manager overrides things or you get the weight/pricing right.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:29 PM

1,579 posts, read 950,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm shocked that it went through. Everyplace I've been to has had a corresponding weight. If things don't add up on the scale in the baggage area, the whole process comes to a stop until a manager overrides things or you get the weight/pricing right.

The store I go to has self scanners when you walk in the door. You scan your items and bag them as you go though the store and then, at the self checkout, you click a button on the hand scanner to say you are finished, a bar code comes up on the device, and you just scan that bar code and all your groceries are rung up. In that kind of situation, something mislabeled would easily pass. Funny thing though, all the times I've ever scanned things, they've never scanned cheaper for me. Sometimes, things on sale don't scan as on sale and I have to get the manager to override when I check out. That doesn't happen often and most times I don't bother. I put the item back instead of buying it. It's too much of a hassle to stand there and wait and try to explain things too.

Overall, I like the hand scanners and self checkout. I get to see how much my groceries are as I shop and I know right away if something is marked as on sale but really isn't. But I can easily see how someone could game the system. My store does random audits when you check out. If you are flagged, they come by and check 10 random items and make sure you scanned them and scanned them properly.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:56 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Some Americans get sketchier by the femtosecond................give certain people an inch, and, well you know the rest.

I can only imagine the scams that have been developed specifically for the self-checkout areas.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:41 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
If you think gross revenue is a reliable indicator of margins you don't understand how business works. Uber's revenue was 11 billion, how does that speak for their margins?

Now you're confusing the founding family's net worth with operating margins.

If you were trying to refute the fact that the grocery business is small margin high competition you have failed miserably. You're good at posting smiley faces at least.
Whatever their profit margin is, it is way, way more than enough.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:59 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
I don't work at the grocery store so I don't check out my own groceries.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I guess this isnt too surprising, that so many people are 'gaming' the grocery store self checkout systems!Its interesting to think about though, as one person in the comments attempted to justify the theft since the stores are basically charging you to do work they should be doing, ( I will admit, I never thought about it like that).

Im curious to see what you guys think, is it theft or payment for work performed at the store?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
You never thought about it like that bc you are not a scum-sucking low life with no principles.

And yeah...shocker. when people are unsupervised, a lot of them choose to do the wrong thing. Big surprise there.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:08 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I think the last hold out for that is commissaries on military bases. The baggers have carts they wheel your groceries to the car in and load them up...for an expected tip(they get no wages) not really free. They can get pushy about it.

Many despise the practice.
Grocery store here (Market St chain) takes every customer out to car, no tip...no aholes' strewn carts all over the place. Just pleasant service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events