Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 12:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

I was in WalMart in my FL area yesterday
Did lot of grocery shopping
There were only two cashier-lanes open
Rest were scan yourself
I am not paying the same price to scan my groceries and sack them myself
Will shop somewhere else before I do that
This is just such a stupid decision to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 01:21 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,091 times
Albertson's was one of the first here to install self-check. Now there are several that have done away with it altogether, but most still have it.

I was at Fred Meyer this morning and they're trying really hard to get more customers self-checking. They only had one regular checkout open and there was a line. I went and stood there anyway and the self check clerk yelled at me to use them I said no thanks and stood there and waited. Then I did the survey on the receipt and complained about the long wait.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:22 PM

8,753 posts, read 5,050,099 times
And now stores are doing away with plastic bags. So now bring your own bags, struggle with them ay the self scanner, then scan your groceries, and there will not be enough room to fumble with the bags. I can feel my BP going up now. Maybe I will add an unscaned item or two, for all my work. JK

Old 07-31-2019, 03:09 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
And now stores are doing away with plastic bags. So now bring your own bags, struggle with them ay the self scanner, then scan your groceries, and there will not be enough room to fumble with the bags. I can feel my BP going up now. Maybe I will add an unscaned item or two, for all my work. JK
Costco and BJs have been doing the whole "box your own items" for decades, and there haven't been any issues with that. They don't have bags AT ALL there. Just old boxes from shipments.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:14 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Albertson's was one of the first here to install self-check. Now there are several that have done away with it altogether, but most still have it.

I was at Fred Meyer this morning and they're trying really hard to get more customers self-checking. They only had one regular checkout open and there was a line. I went and stood there anyway and the self check clerk yelled at me to use them I said no thanks and stood there and waited. Then I did the survey on the receipt and complained about the long wait.
Fred Meyer is getting irritating to shop at. The one near me sometimes has two or three employees standing up front doing absolutely nothing, except harassing customers to use the self-checkout. But they won't put them to work on registers.

The best solution is to just start buying everything possible online. Put the idiots out of business. If they don't want to provide jobs, then they contribute nothing to our communities, and should go.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:17 PM

151 posts, read 106,996 times
I actually preferred cardboard boxes over bags MANY years back when they were an option.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:29 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
It's all about maximizing corporate profits, not saving customers time.

Quote:
At some stores, there may be no more than one checkout manned by a human

It’s easy to see why they’re so popular with vendors: having customers do some work themselves means less overhead. At airport check-in, for instance, the cost to process a passenger through an electronic terminal (14 cents) is a fraction of what it costs the airline with a staffed desk ($3).

But what’s the benefit for consumers? If there are five self-checkouts to choose from instead of queuing for one human being, clearly they will reduce waiting time. However, if the shops employed five more staff, the experience could be quicker. As part of her campaign to curb the increasing dependence on self-checkouts, journalist and BBC broadcaster Jenni Murray timed how long it took to buy the same items at both staffed and self-service tills in eight major shops. In every instance, the staff checkout was faster. Her anecdotal experiment did include verification-needed items, but she’s not the only one to come to this conclusion.

So, no faster then. No problem, say retail experts and suppliers, thanks to a handy phenomenon known as “wait-warping”: when you’re more actively involved in the transaction, it appears to progress quicker. How very convenient: for the retailers.
BBC - Future - The unpopular rise of self-checkouts (and how to fix them)

Old 07-31-2019, 03:37 PM

8,753 posts, read 5,050,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Costco and BJs have been doing the whole "box your own items" for decades, and there haven't been any issues with that. They don't have bags AT ALL there. Just old boxes from shipments.
Their registers are set up differently. Do they have self scans.???

Old 07-31-2019, 03:44 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Their registers are set up differently. Do they have self scans.???
Some Costcos do, and I think just about every Sam's Club does.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Why are reusable bags a struggle? I love mine. They hold up to 50 lbs, and I can fit my groceries in much fewer bags then if I were using plastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events