Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 03:47 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Their registers are set up differently. Do they have self scans.???
I believe most do. I know BJ's is about half and half. Most people there use self-scan. Either way, you still have to box your own items. No bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 04:24 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I guess this isnt too surprising, that so many people are 'gaming' the grocery store self checkout systems!Its interesting to think about though, as one person in the comments attempted to justify the theft since the stores are basically charging you to do work they should be doing, ( I will admit, I never thought about it like that).

Im curious to see what you guys think, is it theft or payment for work performed at the store?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
Who made up the rule saying checking people out and taking their money using cashiers is work the stores should be doing? Isn't that within the rights of the store owner and they are granting you the privilege of entering their store? And when you do get that privilege you have to follow their rules unless it violates rights.

When one pumps their own gas at the local gas station, should that person be able to set the price or not pay for it at all?

Old 07-31-2019, 04:26 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why are reusable bags a struggle? I love mine. They hold up to 50 lbs, and I can fit my groceries in much fewer bags then if I were using plastic.

Mine are heavier than the self-checks are calibrated for, so I always have to wait for the attendant to scan her card and bypass that. Plus the stations are set up for plastic bags. The platform isn't big enough for my reusables and the hook that holds the plastic bags is too low to hook my handles so the bags keep slipping off. I use my knee to keep it in place but half the time that messes with the weight and it thinks I took something out and demands that I put it back.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:55 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I hate them and only use them when I'm forced to (ie: one actual checker with 5+ carts in their line). I've also definitely walked out with things I didn't pay for or paid less than I should have for. Those scanners lock up frequently, some items (produce mainly) can't be found on the listings, other items just won't scan because they aren't in the system. I'm not going to go stand in line just to say "this particular apple variety isn't listed", I'm just going to select a cheaper apple variety .And if something isn't scanning at all, oh well it's mine now. That's my payment for doing all the work myself.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
Generally speaking, I hate self checkout, if I have to pick out what I want (which is my job), then ring it up, bag it, pay for it (the second half of my job), and take it out to my vehicle... why am I not getting a discount for doing their job???
Because you voluntarily went there to get supplies you need for yourself. They aren't there to do you any favors. We're just accustomed to it because of "customer service", but you pay for goods you take from them and that should be the end of the story.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Because you voluntarily went there to get supplies you need for yourself. They aren't there to do you any favors. We're just accustomed to it because of "customer service", but you pay for goods you take from them and that should be the end of the story.
Customer services needs to make a strong comeback in this country. Not only will everyone be happier, more people will be employed. There can be self checks for people who don't want any human interactions but we shouldn't encourage less human interactions...that's not smart for society.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:28 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
And now stores are doing away with plastic bags. So now bring your own bags, struggle with them ay the self scanner, then scan your groceries, and there will not be enough room to fumble with the bags. I can feel my BP going up now. Maybe I will add an unscaned item or two, for all my work. JK
I normally load my fabric bags in the cart. I set up the belt so that boxes are 1st, followed by cans and drinks like Gatorade. That holds my bag open. I use fabric bags in the lanes with cashiers too. If the belt is loaded right, bagging the fabric bags goes fast.

Quote:
Why are reusable bags a struggle? I love mine. They hold up to 50 lbs, and I can fit my groceries in much fewer bags then if I were using plastic.
Agree. I haven't used plastic bags for my main shopping in 10 years and don't miss them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I hate them and only use them when I'm forced to (ie: one actual checker with 5+ carts in their line). I've also definitely walked out with things I didn't pay for or paid less than I should have for. Those scanners lock up frequently, some items (produce mainly) can't be found on the listings, other items just won't scan because they aren't in the system. I'm not going to go stand in line just to say "this particular apple variety isn't listed", I'm just going to select a cheaper apple variety .And if something isn't scanning at all, oh well it's mine now. That's my payment for doing all the work myself.
I've never had an issue with produce not being listed. I always grab at least one item that has the produce sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I believe most do. I know BJ's is about half and half. Most people there use self-scan. Either way, you still have to box your own items. No bags.
I don't go to BJ's any more but back when I did, I always brought my fabric bags.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:33 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
What I've run into a few times it trying to run into the store, grab a few items and there's only 1 or 2 cashiers with lines halfway through the store and a self-checkout with it's own lines.

I've not resorted to stealing, but there's been a couple times where I've simply abandoned my basket and left the store empty handed rather than wait in line 30 minutes.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:44 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,048,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Mine are heavier than the self-checks are calibrated for, so I always have to wait for the attendant to scan her card and bypass that. Plus the stations are set up for plastic bags. The platform isn't big enough for my reusables and the hook that holds the plastic bags is too low to hook my handles so the bags keep slipping off. I use my knee to keep it in place but half the time that messes with the weight and it thinks I took something out and demands that I put it back.
Exactly this. ^^^^^

Old 08-01-2019, 11:45 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,048,222 times
Quote:
Post #190
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events