Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 05:56 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,347,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Or you could think of it as, they don't raise their prices as much as they would if they had to hire another person to do checkout?

I live in a self-gas-pumping state. I don't think of it as "I do a gas station employee's job for them," I think of it as, "I don't have to pay a higher price for gas to subsidize having someone to do it for me."
What a stupid assertion. NJ gas(a state that has attendants) is cheaper than the self service states that surrounds it(PA, NY, DE). I get your point, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 06:08 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Grocery store here (Market St chain) takes every customer out to car, no tip...no aholes' strewn carts all over the place. Just pleasant service.
The Martin's grocery store chain in the midwest is still a full service store.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:26 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,598,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
What a stupid assertion. NJ gas(a state that has attendants) is cheaper than the self service states that surrounds it(PA, NY, DE). I get your point, though.
Your "stupid assertion" notwithstanding, state excise taxes account for difference:

PA - $.50/gallon
NY - $.25/gallon
NJ - $.15/gallon

P.S. No need to be derogatory.

Last edited by Maddie104; 07-29-2019 at 07:27 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Well, a Google search disagrees with this. Here's one:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-gas...ow-oil-prices/
Oh, bless your heart. You believe whatever the media tells you.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Putting your cart back in the cart corral isn't a new concept. They've been around since I've been alive, so at least 30-something years.

Park next to a cart corral if you already know walking the cart too far is going to be difficult. And if you need help out, ask. A majority of shoppers are fine walking their groceries out to their car, but if you need help speak up and tell the cashier.
Really? You go to any supermarket after 10am on a Saturday and it's bedlam getting any parking space. Much less near a cart corral. I just leave the cart where I leave it. It gives the store employee something to do when the Saturday rush dies down.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:29 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,879 times
I guess we're lucky where I live. We can choose our level of service. Not all stores have self-checkout, but even the ones that do, like Safeway, also have full service. They often even have a bagger, and either the cashier or the bagger asks if you want help getting your groceries to your car. Of course, Safeway is one of the most expensive stores around. At the cheaper ones even if they checkout, I'm packing. I'm fully okay with this.

I like self-checkout, it's more efficient and I rarely have issues with it. I can't imagine stealing myself - I'm one of those people who gets looks at weird when I go back because I realize I got something for free when I didn't mean to. It does not surprise me that people scam self-checkouts. They scam at checkouts, too. My daughter used to work for a big box home improvement store, and the stories she told! It frustrated her to no end, but management really didn't care much. They would even tell her, in front of a scammer, to give them whatever they wanted.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:46 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The other day I used the self check out at the market. The scale was not working right. It told me I owed 5 cents for about $3 worth of cherries. I paid the 5 cents and left. What would you have done?
I would have done what you did. I don't ever cheat stores in the way being described in the OP, but it is not my job to do their job.

It reminds of quite a few years back at Macys they were having a huge sale on some cookware that I wanted. It was Christmas season and they had a lot of seasonal help. The cookware was 50% off. At the register, the two (probably) college girls who were spending their time yakking more than working rang it up at the 50% off price, and then -- not thinking -- said, "Oh, this is half off", and took another half of the half off. I just kept my mouth shut. Incompetent help is their problem.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:56 AM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,253 times
self-scanners are payback against all the years of cashiers fast scanning items that were on sale but you paid full price after seeing the receipt in your car or at home. Nice feel good story.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:35 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,401 times
I once missed scanning an item and didn't realize it until it rolled out from under the package. I went to the cashier and asked her to check my receipt for the item (I have poor vision with small print). She confirmed that I missed the item and then thanked me for being honest! That's kind of sad, really. Anyhow, checked the first receipt when I got home, and yes, the item had not been scanned.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:44 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I don't work at the grocery store so I don't check out my own groceries.
same here. I see no reason to do this. I get tired of pressure to do it, not just from the cashiers but from other customers telling me 'oh, did you know you don't have to stand in this line and you can use a self check out station?' no, duh, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events