Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:02 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,999,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
The woman was warned and fined multiple times, but played helpless "But I'm just trying to be helpfulllll! Why are people being so meannnnnn!" When she was clueless and creating a nuisance. And not actually helping the cats.

May I remind you her case is being reviewed by a different judge before she is scheduled to serve time in jail?

People abandoning animals are the ones creating a nuisance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:15 AM

893 posts, read 513,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
yeah it is like saying 79 yr old goes to jail for running a red light......but leaving out the rest of the circumstances like she was drunk and ran over 2 kids in the crosswalk.
Are you daft??!

Old 08-01-2019, 07:17 AM

893 posts, read 513,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Cats are fully capable of finding their own food. They don't need help.

If this woman really wanted to make a difference, she would have been doing TNR and helping to cut down the feral cat population. Trapping the strays her neighbor left behind and getting them adopted out to new homes.
NO they are not. Yes they do need help. OMG - you know nothing about cats!

Old 08-01-2019, 07:34 AM

15,540 posts, read 7,565,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The woman described them as strays in the OP article. The follow up article supplied by Fluffy described kittens and that of course is the problem.

As I said in a post that has been deleted we did the same thing. Neighbor was feeding strays and moved, they showed up here starving. We fed them, fixed them, named them and they are now out outside cats. So I have sympathy for this woman but she should have had the cats fixed.
Which means the cats are predating birds, invading other people's property, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We don't think so in the Bay Area, where there are many TNR programs that have been successful. What it takes is volunteers.

The best-known TNR program is at Stanford University. Students sometimes abandon cats when they leave school. It was a real problem that prompted the establishment of the Stanford Cat Network, in cooperation with but not funded by the University. 20 years since its inception, thanks to SCN, there are only a few remaining cats that haven't been rehomed and still have territories on the Stanford campus.

It can work elsewhere too and it does. In our old Silicon Valley neighborhood there are feral feeding stations and volunteers who trap new cats, have them neutered or spayed and release them back into their territories. Ear tipping is used to mark the ferals that have been neutered. There are feral feeding stations in many locations.
Wouldn't it be far better to trap and euthanize the cats, rather than letting them run all over the place, killing birds and squirrels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkypeanut View Post
NO they are not. Yes they do need help. OMG - you know nothing about cats!
I know my kid is very allergic to them, and that people who would scream bloody murder if my dog pooped in their yard have no problem with their cats pooping in my yard without them present to clean it up. I will never understand why people feel compelled to contribute to the cat problem by feeding feral cats.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:08 AM

10,372 posts, read 8,013,488 times
Quote:
People abandoning animals are the ones creating a nuisance.
But the old lady perpetuated and increased it (because she was feeding unfixed animals, who went on to breed). She's not blameless.

Fixing the cats fixes the problem. That's what the city should be concentrating on. Catch 'em, fix 'em (and vaccinate them for rabies), and rehome any who are tame enough to be good housepets. Let the old lady feed any which are not tame until they die off (which they will do eventually, not being immortal). Problem solved.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:28 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

35,676 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
But the old lady perpetuated and increased it (because she was feeding unfixed animals, who went on to breed). She's not blameless.

Fixing the cats fixes the problem. That's what the city should be concentrating on. Catch 'em, fix 'em (and vaccinate them for rabies), and rehome any who are tame enough to be good housepets. Let the old lady feed any which are not tame until they die off (which they will do eventually, not being immortal). Problem solved.
Fixing the cats doesn't fix the problem, though.

People who no longer want cats dump them off in feral cat colonies, and they grow and grow. Often, they dump off a female cat who is pregnant.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,532,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
She's an old lady. She sees poor starving animals. She feels bad for them, so she feeds them. Anyone faulting her for her compassion should be locked in a cage to starve, and hope that someone will feel sorry enough for them to feed them. I think the people harassing the poor lady, fining her and threatening her with jail time, should be stuck in cages and neutered too. Those people suck, we don't need any more of those types around.
Really? Wow, too much energy.

Bottom line is she broke the law. Wasn't this a repeated violation?

She could have gone to the local press and made a public pleas for help.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:56 AM

15,435 posts, read 9,132,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
That's a waste of time and resources. The community would be better served by capturing the cats and neutering them so they don't reproduce.
Apparently the local Animal Control isn't doing their job, so they are using her as a scapegoat.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:07 AM

15,435 posts, read 9,132,575 times
Quote:
You're missing the point, which is: Why is it illegal to feed stray cats there?
The law makes sense. If everyone in the town fed stray cats without first neutering them, the town would eventually be overrun with feral cats. The problem is that the judge in this case doesn't seem to have much common sense. The problem should be dealt with, with education, not jail time or even fines.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 AM

10,372 posts, read 8,013,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The law makes sense. If everyone in the town fed stray cats without first neutering them, the town would eventually be overrun with feral cats.
Yes.

Quote:
The problem should be dealt with, with education, not jail time or even fines.
The problem is that compulsive animal feeders (like hoarders, whom they resemble in may ways) are nearly impossible to educate. Still, it's worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events