Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 03:00 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Wouldn't bother me. In fact, the body is doing good to the extent it may save a soldier's life.
Then presumably, you wouldn't object to this sort of use for your body when donating it. But this family specifically checked NO on the donation form where it pertained to permission for tests 'involving explosions'. Did you even read the (not very long) linked story?

So, it's not a matter of whether of not you care about this form of research, but whether or not the agency receiving the donated remains should abide by the agreement into which they entered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 03:20 PM

151 posts, read 107,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Then presumably, you wouldn't object to this sort of use for your body when donating it. But this family specifically checked NO on the donation form where it pertained to permission for tests 'involving explosions'. Did you even read the (not very long) linked story?

So, it's not a matter of whether of not you care about this form of research, but whether or not the agency receiving the donated remains should abide by the agreement into which they entered.
Good point !

Whenever stories about dead bodies make the news there always are a few posters who chime in...." it wouldn't bother me "

Well, this story is NOT about YOU and your cavalier view about a dead body.( not referring to poster I quoted )

There is a reason there are many different types of options available .
What I want may not be what YOU want.
What YOU want may not be what I want.

But I believe everyone should have the right to make decisions and EXPECT they are carried out.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:54 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Most people don't consider this an option when they donate their bodies to "help other people". It's a dark side of organ donation that is kept hidden.

Those of you who claim it wouldn't bother you are missing the point.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:23 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
He thought her body would be studied. He thought he was contributing to research.

Instead it was destroyed. Of course mom does not care; but he feels deceived. I think he has a right to outrage.

He was deceived because this "body blasting" is evidently an option which he specifically eliminated on the form.

It didn't take long, though, for the Mom's not aware of what happened (Really?) crowd to completely miss the point.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:04 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
As bad as post-mortem brain tissue is needed right now for Alzheimers research; this is a travesty.

Laboratories all around the world get these itty-bitty sections of brain to study & research is limited because of it. This is horrible.

Haven't we lost enough soldiers to blasts to have options for research? I guess, I dunno; PEACE might mitigate death from blasts too but whatever. LOL; I sound like a hippy today.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:28 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Yeah, it's gross. But she's passed and the body is now an empty shell. Trying to look on the positive side: at least some good may come of this in terms of managing injuries to our military folks from IEDs.
Well...we do not know this for sure! We just assume we 'leave' our body at death (maybe we do not, or some do not, maybe they are still aware of whats going on?)

Old 08-01-2019, 07:33 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
From what I gather, the part of the body (i.e. the brain) that was the basis for the donation still made its way to its intended location. There was no "need" for the rest of the body by the research institute, but the DOD did have a need.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:55 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
If you donate a car to a charity, do you think they fix up the car and present the keys to a needy person who needs transportation? Of course not. It gets hauled to a crusher, and the charity gets the $100

Old 08-02-2019, 03:41 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
If you donate a car to a charity, do you think they fix up the car and present the keys to a needy person who needs transportation? Of course not. It gets hauled to a crusher, and the charity gets the $100
Actually the one in our town does just that! We volunteer our trade skills, re upholstering, engine repair, and simple car care ( brakes, oil change, Mufflers) , and get them ready for the donation event. Its rather spectacular to see a Young Mom who just got done chemo , have a car to get her kids around. Safety first and pleasure from ear to ear when all is said and done. Sure some are junkers to begin with and they do get to fetch a few bucks so we can attend to the other cars.

On topic I cannot understand any military doing test of this nature on bodies. I can only imagine ISIS saying they were "just" testing how long a body can wonder with the head chopped off. smh. Well actually I reckon I couldn't smack my head if its not there...

Old 08-02-2019, 04:29 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
His mom suffered from Alzheimer's, and he donated her body to an Alzheimer's research center. A few days later, he received a small amount of cremains, reportedly of a hand. But he learned that, within hours of donating her body, it had been sold to the military.

The were some other gruesome findings there, too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...451846%3famp=1
Military "science" I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events