Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 05:52 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Wouldn't bother me. In fact, the body is doing good to the extent it may save a soldier's life.
I think he was hoping that it would be used to help find a cure for Alzheimer’s since that’s what she died of. It would’ve given her life and death a meaning that being used as a blast test practice dummy does not. There’s a lack of dignity in this I would have a hard time with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
From what I gather, the part of the body (i.e. the brain) that was the basis for the donation still made its way to its intended location. There was no "need" for the rest of the body by the research institute, but the DOD did have a need.
You’re missing the part where needed had nothing to do with it. They were selling donated bodies for profit to the military for $6000 apiece. It was a scam it wasn’t done with some altruistic hope of saving soldiers lives.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
If you donate a car to a charity, do you think they fix up the car and present the keys to a needy person who needs transportation? Of course not. It gets hauled to a crusher, and the charity gets the $100
Car is not the same as your mother. body. Are you really saying they should be treated the same under the law?

Old 08-02-2019, 08:03 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Interesting- I'd looked at donation when DH was terminally ill and the places that accepted donations specified that they couldn't accept "emaciated" bodies, presumably because they weren't good for research. His wouldn't have been accepted.

I agree that if there's a possibility that the military was going to use the body for blast testing it should be disclosed- I personally wouldn't care and I bet DH would have found it funny.

There's a "body farm" at a university in TN where they leave donated bodies out under various conditions to watch how they change, so that coroners can better determine time of death from remains that have been in place for days, weeks or years. It's all good, as long as you know what's going to be done with the body.
I agree. As long as the person signs the papers before they die on what their body will be used for, and as long as the family understands this, then it's all good.

The way I look at it, no matter how it is used, the dead body is being used for the betterment and education of the living and their future ancestors.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:04 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,336,034 times
Blast testing is science. I don't see the problem.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
She died from Alzheimer’s. He wanted her suffering and death to mean something by having her body be used to help find a cure so that others in the future don’t suffer with the disease she had. He was informed by the company that he could choose to have his donation used for certain things and NOT to have her body used for certain things. He checked a box choosing NOT to have her body used for military purposes. He and the company rep signed it. Then they turned around and sold her body to the military for $6,000.00 violating the agreement they signed. . This is about money and it was a scam. I don’t get why anyone would think this is ok.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:48 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,778 times
This whole story would make for a pretty good death metal song. I hope Gatecreeper picks up on it since they're from AZ.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:26 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They were selling donated bodies for profit to the military for $6000 apiece. It was a scam it wasn’t done with some altruistic hope of saving soldiers lives.
That's what I saw here.

Body donated for free...and then they sell it for profit?

Old 08-02-2019, 09:39 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I personally wouldn't mind donating my body for something like this.

But, the point here is that this should be a personal choice. There's nothing wrong if someone doesn't want their body or the bodies of loved ones to be used in such testing. There should be full disclosure, which wasn't done here.
Exactly. What they did was illegal and deceitful. Thankfully, this center at least, is long since out of business.

The donation center is no longer operating. It was raided in 2014 by the FBI following accusations that it was selling donated bodies for profit. It was during the 2014 raid the agents made several horrific discoveries, including a woman's head sewn onto a male torso, dismembered limbs and heads strewn about and a cooler filled with male genitalia.

BRC's owner, Stephen Gore, pleaded guilty to illegal control of an enterprise in 2015 and is currently serving probation.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:40 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Clearly you have not read the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events