Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 10:42 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
His mom suffered from Alzheimer's, and he donated her body to an Alzheimer's research center. A few days later, he received a small amount of cremains, reportedly of a hand. But he learned that, within hours of donating her body, it had been sold to the military.

The were some other gruesome findings there, too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...451846%3famp=1
Horrible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 10:45 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Wouldn't bother me. In fact, the body is doing good to the extent it may save a soldier's life.
But they performed this experiment without permission.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:10 AM

151 posts, read 107,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
But they performed this experiment without permission.
Save your energy trying to explain.

A certain segment of posters couldn't care less about "permission" because their views are different on dead bodies and refuse to see others' viewpoints .

Old 08-02-2019, 11:32 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
I would be so angry if this happened to my mother's body. The body was donated for Alzheimer's Disease research - NOT for being blasted to bits for profit. Big difference.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:45 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I'm seriously thinking about removing my permission to be a donor the next time my driver's license gets renewed. It's not exactly the same as this situation, but I'm finding there is an underbelly to this donation process to help others. Personally, I don't care what happens to my body. I want whatever to be the easiest option for my family. I want a headstone, but that's about it. I don't want my grieving family hassled any more than they have to be.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:45 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm seriously thinking about removing my permission to be a donor the next time my driver's license gets renewed. It's not exactly the same as this situation, but I'm finding there is an underbelly to this donation process to help others. Personally, I don't care what happens to my body. I want whatever to be the easiest option for my family. I want a headstone, but that's about it. I don't want my grieving family hassled any more than they have to be.
I still have it checked on my license, but I have to say I had a weird experience that made me wonder. I went to the hospital to see a friend who had a massive stroke. While I was there talking to her (she wasn’t conscious) a nurse came in and told me someone was on their way there to harvest her kidneys. It seemed so weird because she was still alive.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:28 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
This happened to a friend of mine when her dad died--he also left his body to science, and then she and her siblings found out later it was used for blast testing.

Now, her dad had been a soldier in WWII, and my friend had said her dad would have probably been okay with doing one last thing for his fellow soldiers, but she said for her family, it was a case of they would have liked to have *known* that this was one of the possibilities beforehand. Which I can see. It does seem that this should be disclosed beforehand, and if the family's not good with it, then blast testing should not be done.

Myself, I'm of the 'if anything of me could be useful to somebody else, give it over to 'em' (heart, corneas, whatever) thought process. I do like the idea of whatever's left over being turned into a tree, but if whatever's left over gets blasted in Army testing--well, I was a soldier once. Better my dead body than a fellow soldier's live one. But that's *my* thinking for *my* remains. Nobody else is obliged to feel the same way.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:01 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
This happened to a friend of mine when her dad died--he also left his body to science, and then she and her siblings found out later it was used for blast testing.

Now, her dad had been a soldier in WWII, and my friend had said her dad would have probably been okay with doing one last thing for his fellow soldiers, but she said for her family, it was a case of they would have liked to have *known* that this was one of the possibilities beforehand. Which I can see. It does seem that this should be disclosed beforehand, and if the family's not good with it, then blast testing should not be done.

Myself, I'm of the 'if anything of me could be useful to somebody else, give it over to 'em' (heart, corneas, whatever) thought process. I do like the idea of whatever's left over being turned into a tree, but if whatever's left over gets blasted in Army testing--well, I was a soldier once. Better my dead body than a fellow soldier's live one. But that's *my* thinking for *my* remains. Nobody else is obliged to feel the same way.
I also object to the that anyone is being paid that much money for bodies only for military use. I have a feeling pretty much every donated body went to military no matter what was checked on the form. Money should not be involved especially to some third party, of course it will corrupt the process.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:26 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
His mom suffered from Alzheimer's, and he donated her body to an Alzheimer's research center. A few days later, he received a small amount of cremains, reportedly of a hand. But he learned that, within hours of donating her body, it had been sold to the military.

The were some other gruesome findings there, too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...451846%3famp=1

Grotesque!

It was during the 2014 raid the agents made several horrific discoveries, including a woman's head sewn onto a male torso, dismembered limbs and heads strewn about and a cooler filled with male genitalia.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:22 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Oh, detonate. I thought the form said donate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events