Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 05:10 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I live on the fourth floor of an apartment building and aways have to go down to meet the driver at the door. I even put it in the delivery instructions for them to call me when they arrive, which they do. I have been using DoorDash for two years now and have only had one very bad experience with a driver. That's out of probably four dozen deliveries. Most of the interactions are otherwise very nice and the deliveries go very smooth. I tip with cash because I've read about the issues with DoorDash and counting tips toward the minimum driver income.

Burger King and McDonald's are really good at packaging food deliveries so as not to be tampered with. They put a sticker to close the bag as well as stickers on all the individual items. You have to tear them in order to open anything. The straws in the drinks have a paper slip on top, which cannot be put back on once you take it off. The driver could conceivably use another straw to drink with, but still, it's a nice precaution. I trust that most delivery drivers aren't interested in messing with the food they are delivering.
You are reasonable in your expectations. The guy who got his leg broken was a pita person and got what he got because of it. Not saying he deserved it, but the world isn't kind to pita's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 08:04 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
All you say is true, but what makes you think these delivery drivers give a flip about their “job”? It’s a side hustle, a couple of steps above street begging, and it doesn’t take much to set them off. The same thing happens with Uber and Lyft — the sign on the car doesn’t mean the driver isn’t Charlie Manson light.
I guess the DoorDash/Seamless/Grubhub experience depends highly on where you live. I'm fortunate to live in a place where I never have to worry about safety. The 1 lazy, rude SPOILED college kid who delivers my sushi (who drives a nicer car than me...he reminds me of the popular snobby villain in every John Hughes move) always calls me on my cell to come out and fetch my over-priced fish, despite the fact that I always tip 20% on top of the delivery fee. I finally got fed up one night and told him to come to my door. Why don't you come here and earn your $12 tip, Chad McPreppy? And he did. Surprisingly without attitude. The only other delivery driver problem I have is the one guy who chain smokes inside his car and delivers my food smelling like Lucky Strikes. That's pretty much it. No leg breakers or phone robbers here. Nothing even close to that.

I find most drivers to be hard working people just trying to make ends meet. Two of my regular drivers (I get delivery way too often) are an athletic looking old gent in his 70s, and a sweet old grandma lady with a Russian accent. Clearly retirees. Always very smiley. One time, I got a dad and his grade school-aged son knocking at my door with my pizza. I also get drivers from some poorer/urban districts. They tend to ring my doorbell, and then walk back down the steps so that when I open the door, they are not right at the door. They are clearly trying to look non threatening. When it's clear I'm not going to clutch my chest and call the cops, they walk back up the stairs and hand me my food with a cautious smile.

There's nothing wrong with having a side hustle, or having DoorDash as your primary job because that is your circumstance in life, due to it being difficult to find any job at all, or because your small business is experiencing financial woes and/or your kid got into a fancy private college you can't afford, or because you are a septuagenarian who has been retired for 10 years and would like to buy your 1 grand kid a new laptop for Christmas, or your 6 grand kids all something other than tube socks.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:16 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
It's unreasonable to expect a guy making minimum wage plus tips to walk up a bunch of stairs to deliver $10 worth of food. The guy should have just gone out and politely taken the food rather than act like a total a-hole about it. Of course this doesn't justify getting mugged, these guys need to go to jail.
Quote:
You are reasonable in your expectations. The guy who got his leg broken was a pita person and got what he got because of it. Not saying he deserved it, but the world isn't kind to pita's.
Eh. This particular incident happened in Queens NY. Maybe you have a point if it's a place like NYC and the driver has issues with parking and/or possibly getting a ticket. But even in this story, we're talking about Queens, and not midtown Manhattan, and 1:00 AM, and not rush hour. And the driver had a co-pilot.

Anywhere else, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the delivery driver to come directly to your door. That's the job. The customer is not a "PITA" for expecting someone to do their job. The customer should not have to go out to the driver. If UPS, Amazon, furniture delivery people do it, so should food delivery people.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
It's unreasonable to expect a guy making minimum wage plus tips to walk up a bunch of stairs to deliver $10 worth of food. The guy should have just gone out and politely taken the food rather than act like a total a-hole about it. Of course this doesn't justify getting mugged, these guys need to go to jail.
Why don't I just meet them at the restaurant, make it even easier for them?

I've never ordered delivery, but if I did, I would expect it to be delivered to my door. If they don't think it's worth their time to deliver the food I am paying to be delivered, then maybe they should find a different job.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:40 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
There went his tip!

Old 08-04-2019, 05:02 AM

50,751 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
All you say is true, but what makes you think these delivery drivers give a flip about their “job”? It’s a side hustle, a couple of steps above street begging, and it doesn’t take much to set them off. The same thing happens with Uber and Lyft — the sign on the car doesn’t mean the driver isn’t Charlie Manson light.
It still matters if you need the money. The rating you get matters, if it operates like Lyft. I delivered pizza as a second job years ago. It was a “side hustle” as you say but I A. worked for tips and B. I have some pride in doing a job well, so was sweet as pie to customers. Even the ones I knew from history were t going to tip. If you take a job you should do it well or don’t take it.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:10 AM

50,751 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I don’t think the folks defending this scum read the article. The guy did come down, he was on the front stoop. The driver refused to get out of his car, period. Wanted the guy to come to his car to get the food. Ridiculous to expect that. All the guy did was save him to come over to the stoop, when THEY did they beat him up. They were looking for trouble imo. They also stole his phone as well as the food. This wasn’t just a fed up driver it was a couple of criminals.maybe they use this gig as an entry to people for whatever kind of trouble they want to cause.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-04-2019 at 06:40 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 06:05 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Eh. This particular incident happened in Queens NY. Maybe you have a point if it's a place like NYC and the driver has issues with parking and/or possibly getting a ticket. But even in this story, we're talking about Queens, and not midtown Manhattan, and 1:00 AM, and not rush hour. And the driver had a co-pilot.

Anywhere else, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the delivery driver to come directly to your door. That's the job. The customer is not a "PITA" for expecting someone to do their job. The customer should not have to go out to the driver. If UPS, Amazon, furniture delivery people do it, so should food delivery people.
Exactly. It's called Door Dash, not Curb Dash. The door means the door to the home, not the door to the delivery vehicle. There is nothing wrong with a paying customer asking for the delivery to be made to his door. For crying out loud he came all the way to the stoop and this delivery guy wasn't getting out of his car. That's not how delivery services work, walking up stairs is literally the job description for delivery people.

Calling him a PITA is completely unfair, goes without saying that calling him an A-Hole is just ridiculous. Victim blaming is never a good look and this victim did absolutely nothing wrong.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 08-04-2019 at 06:32 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 06:31 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Luckily, we will never have to worry about rude delivery drivers.
I live far enough outside the City Limits that, other than one or two pizza places, nobody in food service delivers to us. We have to go to their establishment to give them our money. We rather like it that way.
Mail and newspaper delivery is to a box 1/10th of a mile away. Package delivery is to our door. In the 15 years we have lived here, we have never attempted to order food delivery from a restaurant.
If we want pizza, we call the "take and bake" place. By the time I drive in, (10 minutes or so) it is ready to go. Take it home, put it in the oven, and we have hot fresh pizza in minutes.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:40 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Exactly. It's called Door Dash, not Curb Dash. The door means the door to the home, not the door to the delivery vehicle. There is nothing wrong with a paying customer asking for the delivery to be made to his door. For crying out loud he came all the way to the stoop and this delivery guy wasn't getting out of his car. That's not how delivery services work, walking up stairs is literally the job description for delivery people.

Calling him a PITA is completely unfair, goes without saying that calling him an A-Hole is just ridiculous. Victim blaming is never a good look and this victim did absolutely nothing wrong.
He didn't have to drive anywhere, all he had to do was walk down the stairs to get the food - he was a lazy pita with an attitude.
That doesn't exuse getting mugged, these two thugs need to go to prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events