Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 05:01 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times

Advertisements

I guess this isnt too surprising, that so many people are 'gaming' the grocery store self checkout systems!Its interesting to think about though, as one person in the comments attempted to justify the theft since the stores are basically charging you to do work they should be doing, ( I will admit, I never thought about it like that).

Im curious to see what you guys think, is it theft or payment for work performed at the store?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 05:03 PM

927 posts, read 759,957 times
My neighbor said the rotisserie chicken was mispriced as coleslaw at $2. She had never been through the self checkout and that was her first time. A checker would have noticed

Old 07-27-2019, 06:01 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
My neighbor said the rotisserie chicken was mispriced as coleslaw at $2. She had never been through the self checkout and that was her first time. A checker would have noticed
At my store, if something is mispriced in favor of the customer, they have to go ahead and give it to them at that price.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:05 PM

6,468 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
one person in the comments attempted to justify the theft since the stores are basically charging you to do work they should be doing, ( I will admit, I never thought about it like that).
Or you could think of it as, they don't raise their prices as much as they would if they had to hire another person to do checkout?

I live in a self-gas-pumping state. I don't think of it as "I do a gas station employee's job for them," I think of it as, "I don't have to pay a higher price for gas to subsidize having someone to do it for me."

Old 07-27-2019, 06:06 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
I guess this isnt too surprising, that so many people are 'gaming' the grocery store self checkout systems!Its interesting to think about though, as one person in the comments attempted to justify the theft since the stores are basically charging you to do work they should be doing, ( I will admit, I never thought about it like that).

Im curious to see what you guys think, is it theft or payment for work performed at the store?

Somebody has a twisted sense of right and wrong if they try to justify their theft as payment for work performed. I Think next time I work I'll just take a little cash out of the till and justify it by saying I'm underpaid, so it's all good.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:11 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:

A person must be desperate to assuage his conscience if he claims theft is justified because self-scanning is doing free work for the store. . Does the same principle apply when he pumps his own gas, or eats at a buffet where he puts the food on his own plate?

I have read other articles about increased theft at self scan checkouts. Even with the cameras taking close up videos of the shopper's face and of the entire transaction, I guess some people just find it too easy to be dishonest and think they won't get caught. In fact one of the articles I read went into great detail about the specific ways people steal at the self checkout, and I thought, "Oh great, let's teach everyone how to use these effective theft techniques."

Old 07-27-2019, 06:17 PM

334 posts, read 521,259 times
I will admit to doing something similar for a bit of produce one time, I had about $80 worth of groceries and not ONE normal register was open (and the wife wouldn't let me try and make them open one), the person monitoring it was busy socializing with other employees, so when I got to the kale I had and couldn't find it on the list anywhere... I rang it up as lettuce. was it more/less/or the same? don't know, don't care, they should've had a register open.

Generally speaking, I hate self checkout, if I have to pick out what I want (which is my job), then ring it up, bag it, pay for it (the second half of my job), and take it out to my vehicle... why am I not getting a discount for doing their job???

Old 07-27-2019, 06:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
I think probably people get better produce for the price of lesser produce sometimes - I think it's happened to me before, accidentally. Broccoli crowns, or bunch of broccoli? Who knows? I'm not going to call the checker over to ask what my produce is. Extra large avocados vs. large?

Sweet onion vs. white onion? Organic vs not organic?

It would be hard to get an item out of the store that you didn't scan or pay for AT ALL, though, and I think that would set off the sensors in cases of items that have bar codes.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
I like the self pumped gas analogy, myself. You don’t expect a discount because you are doing an attendant’s job. Or perhaps it is just harder to buy more gas than you pay for.

Look, cheating is cheating is cheating. I get that sometimes you might scratch your head over something, and end up paying for the wrong product. But to switch tags? Or to not pass an item over the scanner before bagging it? Those things are dishonest.

But I tend to use human checkers. I have fewer problems when I do. And I’d like for them to have their jobs. If I have to, I’ll use a scanner. But doing so is not my first choice.

In another thread someone posted that they did not return carts to their places in parking lots, because that would be doing the store’s job ! Do you refuse to bus your table at a fast food place? C’mon.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:48 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,478,720 times
Who didn't see this coming?

The public acts as foolish employees who see no reason to be paid for their work. Stores with self-scanners don't have to paid employees because of the public's eagerness to work without compensation just because it's quicker.

I've been against self-scanners since their conception. I refuse to use them until I'm given a discount for acting as an agent of the store.

However, stealing is not justifiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events