Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 12:09 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,110,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I grew up in a "diverse, non-white neighborhood" too.

But I learned not to whitesplain "diverse" culture. Your comments are out of line no matter who you are.
LoL I'm explaining my OWN culture. You clearly need to go back and re-read what I said in my first post. There are some hyper-sensitive people that frequent these boards.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is not at all true. I work with many black people (nursing home) am not uptight and we joke all the time. Not one would hand someone a note calling them ugly. Not one. By posting that you’re implying that this is somehow part of black culture to insult people. And then you defend it she was being “silly?” A TSA officer on the job is being silly instead of taking the job seriously, and we should not care?
You're reading far too much into it. I'm not saying that's funny throughout black culture. I've never made a single reference to black culture (nor would I conclude that black culture is monolithic, in nature). I'm saying that this isn't something that white culture handles very well. They tend to interpret things that are jokes directed at them as immediately offensive and mean-spirited. Just read the comments in this thread if you need any evidence for that.

And my rebuttal to that is that you can't typically joke like that with white people. I grew up in a neighborhood and went to schools where this is more commonplace. Those aren't always fighting words, in fact, they can be endearing and judging by her demeanor on the video, I took this a lot less seriously than the people who are now calling her ugly on the inside, as well as fat because of how offended they were by her playfulness.

You guys can accept another point of view and consider it... or you can keep getting triggered. I mean, that choice is yours. At the end of the day, I'm not going to go call ABC News and talk about how it's good that I received this backlash because "I can handle it" and how someone with a depression issue might have gone off the rails like the square did in the video. Come on people.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:18 PM

51,086 posts, read 36,780,840 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
You're reading far too much into it. I'm not saying that's funny throughout black culture. I've never made a single reference to black culture. I'm saying that this isn't something that white culture handles very well. They tend to interpret things that are jokes directed at them as immediately offensive and spirited. Just read the comments in this thread if you need any evidence for that.

And my rebuttal to that is that you can't typically joke like that with white people. I grew up in a neighborhood and went to schools where this is more commonplace. Those aren't always fighting words, in fact, they can be endearing and judging by her demeanor on the video, I took this a lot less seriously than the people who are now calling her ugly on the inside, as well as fat because of how offended they were by her playfulness.

You guys can accept another point of view and consider it... or you can keep getting triggered. I mean, that choice is yours.
I’m fairly certain a black person would have been just as insulted by that note. And just as disconcerted that the first line of defense between harm to the plane and anyone aboard the plane thinks the job is a joke. If she were checking receipts at Walmart it wouldn’t even be a story but she’s not, she’s doing an important job with dire consequences if it’s not done right, and instead of being alert and paying attention she’s scribbling notes and giggling with coworkers. No biggie, hey it’s a hoot! I still think the note is mean and if going to ask some coworkers what they think, I doubt many would laugh if they got the note.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-19-2019 at 12:27 PM..

Old 08-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’m fairly certain a black person would have been just as insulted by that note. And just as disconcerted that the first line of defense between the plane and anyone aboard the plane thinks the job is a joke.
That's absolutely a fair assessment on both points, particularly the second. On the former, though, I think it depends where the person is and the experiences they had. It's definitely too silly and sophomoric for a lot of people and it's certainly not professional.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,117,464 times
Quote:

You're reading far too much into it. I'm not saying that's funny throughout black culture. I've never made a single reference to black culture (nor would I conclude that black culture is monolithic, in nature). I'm saying that this isn't something that white culture handles very well. They tend to interpret things that are jokes directed at them as immediately offensive and mean-spirited.
By assuming and asserting that it was meant as a joke, as well as trying to back up your opinion with the dubious "Hey, I grew up in a black neighborhood..." defense, you most definitely are making a not-so-veiled reference to black culture since that's the race of the presumptive "joker."

Now you're back-pedaling and insulting us by calling anyone who disagrees with you "hypersensitive." Just acknowledge your blunder and bow out already.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
By assuming and asserting that it was meant as a joke, as well as trying to back up your opinion with the dubious "Hey, I grew up in a black neighborhood..." defense, you most definitely are making a not-so-veiled reference to black culture since that's the race of the presumptive "joker."

Now you're back-pedaling and insulting us by calling anyone who disagrees with you "hypersensitive." Just acknowledge your blunder and bow out already.
LOL. Do you want to see the manager?

I've never seen anyone be more offended because another poster offered a different point of view on the events that took place in that story. Are you mad that I'm not destroying her as a person? I don't get your anger, honestly.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:21 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,890,222 times
Quote:
LOL. Do you want to see the manager?

I've never seen anyone be more offended because another poster offered a different point of view on the events that took place in that story. Are you mad that I'm not destroying her as a person? I don't get your anger, honestly.
You also don’t get that you’ve turned this thread into a race bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.