Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 06:03 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,712 times

Advertisements

What?! I thought MBS fixed Saudi Arabia after he gave women the right to drive a motor vehicle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 06:05 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Certainly and I agree. My point was that those US workers in Saudi Arabia don't leave the compounds.
I understand. My point was only that there are too many people there to be personally interviewing everyone. People were assuming she was doing something wrong. My point was to those posters who want to say “serves her right” for some apparent misbehavior they are sure she must have committed to one who stated her husband “failed her” by not teaching her how to behave. There is nothing to indicate she said, wore or did one single thing that was thought to be disrespectful to Saudi culture. “Too westernized” was simply the argument ex and lawyer used to win custody. Just like here spouses and their lawyers use whatever they can to win custody. It is not a case where the courts dragged her in for acting too western.

She’d have lost a custody battle for a male child no matter what when fighting a male who is a Saudi citizen.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
What?! I thought MBS fixed Saudi Arabia after he gave women the right to drive a motor vehicle!
Moms lose custody battles sometimes here too.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 PM

3,689 posts, read 2,410,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Yes, well, but putting it into perspective, the Middle-eastern countries may be 500 years behind us culturally, but as a country, the US is also a couple hundred years behind western Europe. To western Europeans, we live like savages here, still shooting people, still fighting about religion and being uptight about sex and nudity, and still not having socialized medical care, family leave, or vacation time from work.
Comparing Westerin Europe to the US is OK. I prefer Western Europe.

The topic is KSA.

They never had an enlightenment. Never will.

A reformation is not possible.

They have contributed basically "0" to humanity - pun intended.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:59 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,118 times
Hmm, Western Europe, you say?
Read this story and tell me how Sweden is different from Saudi Arabia? (hint: zero difference, or even worse)

https://southfront.org/russian-man-f...nother-family/

In the same story it is also described similar case for Norway, citing: "Norwegian authorities are attempting to take his children away and provide them to a foster family, since the environment in Bulgaria is not “Norwegian enough” and the children will not develop to their presumed full potential."

Word-for-word with topic situation. Don't you find it amusing? Or is it "completely different thing" (c) ?

Old 08-22-2019, 01:12 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,539 times
The USA woman is an idiot.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:51 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Where's one-time big mouth, WA Sen. Patty Murray? Or doesn't she walk the talk?

Old 08-22-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Where's one-time big mouth, WA Sen. Patty Murray? Or doesn't she walk the talk?
Why on earth would a senator get involved in a custody dispute between a divorcing couple?

Old 08-23-2019, 09:36 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The movie is a dramatization. The book is much better and details a lot more abuse than was shown in the movie. In the book, the woman knows that if she is found with an IUD, she can be legally killed, so she removes it herself. Her husband had her passport and a woman couldn't get a flight out without his permission. She was trapped. And what was so bad about the whole situation was that the husband had been in America for a number of years and was an American doctor (he was fired shortly before they left for the Iran visit). He made a complete flip to an extreme Islam fanatic once they were back in Iran.

I may be xenophobic myself, but I have a list of countries I will never visit and Middle-eastern countries are high on the list. I see what they do to their own women and I'm under no illusion that being an American there will protect me in any way.
Yes, that was the scary part. He seemed very Americanized when she married him in the USA, but when he went home, he got caught up in the Islamic fundamentalism that had overtaken his country in his absence.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:15 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Hmm, Western Europe, you say?
Read this story and tell me how Sweden is different from Saudi Arabia? (hint: zero difference, or even worse)

https://southfront.org/russian-man-f...nother-family/

In the same story it is also described similar case for Norway, citing: "Norwegian authorities are attempting to take his children away and provide them to a foster family, since the environment in Bulgaria is not “Norwegian enough” and the children will not develop to their presumed full potential."

Word-for-word with topic situation. Don't you find it amusing? Or is it "completely different thing" (c) ?
Is your view always "West bad, everyone else good"? I have just finished reading your almost unique views on Stalin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events